Photo
- - - - -

Fish Oil Sexual Side Effects

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:05 AM

ok i'm dead serious here...this is really gross for some people so if you are easily offended please take this as a warning and DON'T READ!

I have tested this over and over....and over, so I know there is a direct cause & effect thing going on here. I've tested/experimented with both Ascenta Health Fish Oil (at 1-3 tspn's per day with meals) and also High Vitamin Cod Liver oil (only 1/2 tspn per day with meal). In either case, within a 1-3 days I have noticed that my semen turns into an extremely watery consistency...almost like water. As soon as I stop the fish or cod liver oil, within 1-3 days it's back to normal consistency. I have repeated and tested and have discussed this with a friend who has also noticed the same effects.

The question is WHY? I understand that this supplement has blood thinning effects, but also thins other stuff?? Is this harmless? It seems to me that something isn't right and as of now, i've stopped taking it.

Another thing that i've noticed (as well as a friend and a parent) is that we're all requiring LESS sleep (approx 1-2 hrs less) and wake up more "hopping out of bed" and refreshed. Also feel mentally better/clearer and happier.

BUT, the one annoying side effect concerns me.

Any ideas?

#2 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:34 AM

Never noticed something like that. Please note that Cod Liver oil is primarily a source of Vitamin A and not Omega-3 EPA/DHA fatty acids as "normal" fish oil. Not sure about the other one you mentioned but it could be similar.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 paleo

• Topic Starter
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

Never noticed something like that. Please note that Cod Liver oil is primarily a source of Vitamin A and not Omega-3 EPA/DHA fatty acids as "normal" fish oil. Not sure about the other one you mentioned but it could be similar.

Yes, the fish oil was high in EPA/DHA and the cod liver oil is low in it (but still has a couple hundred mg of it)...and I noticed this with either or. I'm really noticing by not taking it that my sleep requirement is increased and I wake up much more tired. It's like I can't live without it except for that one main side effect which I can't explain.

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

Well it depends what cod liver oil you buy, I sometimes use this one

http://www.codlivero...h_strength.html

per 10ml Omega 3 nutrients 2800 mg

I'm looking for good quality fish oil (liquid) but can't find any at the moment, flax oil didn't really do anything for mood. So for the short term I just been taking Cod Liver Oil 10ml everyday to see the effect, within 2 weeks my anxiety has almost completely gone!

Before the first time i started taking omega 3, the effect took around 2-3 months.

#5 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

Arch Tierernahr. 2003 Dec;57(6):429-42. Related Articles, Links

Evaluation of the ratio of omega(6: omega3 fatty acids and vitamin E levels in the diet on the reproductive performance of cockerels.

Zanini SF, Torres CA, Bragagnolo N, Turatti JM, Silva MG, Zanini MS.

Department of Rural Economics and Animal Science, Center of Agrarian Sciences, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Alegre, Brazil. surama@cca.ufes.br

Three hundred and twenty 30-week old White Leghorn cockerels were housed in individual cages and distributed in a completely randomized factorial design of 5 x 3, with five oil sources (sunflower, soybean, canola, linseed and fish/soybean) and three levels of antioxidant (30, 200 and 400 mg of vitamin E/kg). The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of the ratio of omega6: omega3 fatty acids by the inclusion of different oil sources and of dietary supplementation with vitamin E on the reproductive performance of cockerels. The use of the fish/soybean combination determined the lowest total antioxidant status of the semen. However, the addition of vitamin E to the fish/soybean-oil-based diet resulted in a linear increase in semen volume, motility and sperm vigour in the 38th week and again in the 52nd week for motility and for sperm vigour and fertility rate in the periods from 50-53 and 41-53 weeks of age. The use of canola oil in the diet resulted in the highest fertility rate during 50-53 and 41-53 weeks of life. Animals receiving the soybean oil based diet showed the smallest fertility rate in the range from 50-53 weeks of age and concomitantly the highest level of cholesterol in the spermatozoa in the range from 47-51 weeks. An interaction between the vitamin E level and soybean oil was verified by the linear increase in motility and sperm vigour at 38 weeks of age. Later, the contrary was shown by a linear reduction in fertility in the periods from 44-46, 47-49 and 41-53 weeks of age. Cockerels that had been fed on the sunflower-oil-based diet showed the highest content of saturated fatty acids in the spermatozoa from 48-51 weeks. An interaction effect was observed between the vitamin E level and sunflower oil shown by a linear increase in the content of saturated fatty acids in the spermatozoa and a linear reduction in the C18: 1omega9, C18 :2 omega6 and PUFA (C18 : 2omega6 + C20 : 4omega6) contents in the spermatozoa at 48-51 weeks and in sperm volume at 52 weeks of age.

#6 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

Vitamin A, found in carotenoids and retinoids, are required for vision and spermatogenesis. Retinol and retinoic acid also play a role in maintaining mucose-secreting cells. Other important functions include modulation of gene expression related to cell differentiation and cell adhesion, which is why vitamin A has been assigned anti-carcinogenic properties.15 Intake requirements for vitamin A are approximately 1.4mg/day and the main sources of this vitamin is dairy foods, meats, fats and oils. Vitamin A is insoluble in water and edible oils are necessary to carry this nutrient through the intestinal mucosa.

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

Maybe you have found a new type of male birth control...

#8 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

Feeding Omega 3 Fatty Acids to Stallions 5/27/04

Equine reproduction has come a long way in the last few years with the ability to use cooled and frozen semen in many breeds. The quarter horse industry began allowing cooled transported semen in 1997 and frozen semen in 2001. Unfortunately, some stallion’s semen does not do well after cooling and freezing. This cold shock causes loss of motility, viability, and therefore reduces fertility. Sperm from all species contain high levels of DHA, an omega 3 fatty acid, and DPA, an omega 6 fatty acid. Studies in boars and other species have indicated that a high ratio of DHA to DPA resulted in enhanced fertility. Animals are unable to make these fatty acids in their bodies and therefore must acquire them from their diet. Unfortunately, horse feeds are higher in DPA fatty acids than DHA fatty acids.

The veterinarians at Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine in the equine reproduction department performed a study in which they fed 8 breeding studs a ration designed to increase the amount of DHA, or omega 3 fatty acids, in their diet. Semen was collected and examined before and after feeding the supplement. Motion characteristics of fresh semen were not improved by feeding the fatty acid supplement. After 24 hours, the cooled semen from studs fed the supplement had a higher average path velocity and straighter trajectory. However, after 48 hours of cooling, both total and progressive motility were improved by feeding the DHA omega 3 fatty acid supplement. The most dramatic improvement on sperm characteristics was on studs with reduced fertility. The authors of the study believe that the supplementation of DHA omega 3 fatty acids may be beneficial to studs that are going to have their semen shipped or frozen, especially if their sperm has been shown to be sensitive to cooling.

#9 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

UP YOUR SPERM COUNT WITH OILY FISH
It has been announced that the sperm count of British men is plummeting, Doctors aren’t surprised, stating that this is something they already knew – what they don’t know is why.

While the research continues, diet can help. It has been suggested that the reason men from Finland have the highest sperm count in Europe is because of their regular intake of oily fish .

The omega-3 essential fatty acids in oily fish have a profound effect on every system of the body, including the reproductive system and they are crucial for healthy hormone functioning. For men, essential fatty acid supplementation is important because the semen is rich in prostaglandins, which are produced from these fats. Men with poor sperm quality, abnormal sperm, poor motility or low count may have low prostaglandin levels. People who don’t enjoy eating oily fish can boost their omega-3 intake with fish oil supplements.

#10 paleo

• Topic Starter
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:07 PM

Interesting, although the cod liver oil is high in vit A (5700IU per 1/2 tspn). I do remember a comment from a study in Ray Peat's article that indicated that cod liver oil brought a man's sperm count to zero. I'm really starting to question the anti-inflammatory properties by thinking it may be an oxidizing reaction to the omega 3's lowering omega 6's. This has really got me confused what is occuring.

#11 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Interesting, although the cod liver oil is high in vit A (5700IU per 1/2 tspn

http://www.codlivero..._liver_oil.html

Here it has Vitamin A 4000 I.U. per 10ml

This one here has Triomega in it to elevate the levels of omega 3.
http://www.codlivero...h_strength.html

Which says it has
does 800µg translate to 2664 iu for vitamin A per 10ml??

Edited by Matt, 25 July 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#12 paleo

• Topic Starter
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:53 PM

I use this one:

http://www.greenpast...s/cod_liver_oil

#13 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:40 PM

Errr... to the original poster...

Semen is supposed to lose surface tension and turn from a white to an almost clear, far less viscous liquid.

#14 paleo

• Topic Starter
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:30 PM

Semen is supposed to lose surface tension and turn from a white to an almost clear, far less viscous liquid.

I don't understand..."supposed to" under what conditions? While taking fish oil?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

I don't understand..."supposed to" under what conditions? While taking fish oil?

Not too long after ejaculation. Usually within 15 minutes,
due to the enzyme coagulase, secreted by the prostate.
Possibly fish oil increased levels of this enzyme.

Less viscid ejaculate might mean that you are
even more fertile now, since spermatozoa motility
and viability is improved, though a certain amount
of viscosity is still required to stick the semen at the
neck of the womb.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

http://www.netdoctor...menandsperm.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users