Photo
- - - - -

The Douglass Report

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hey fellas--I recently came upon this ad on a site I visit, and figured it was just another marketing/fear tactic scam (especially with the formatting style). Curious nevertheless, I kept reading and was sort of taken in...the doc seems to really know his stuff. Here's the ad:

http://www.isecureon...s/rhb/W600H5AJ/

I looked him up a bit and he actually is legit, and has an official site at:

http://www.douglassreport.com/

I was interested in getting a few opinions of this doctor--does he seem credible? Is he a marketing shill? For those that are aware of just how greedy the medical establishment is, a lot of what he writes makes perfect sense. Tell me your thoughts!

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

I saw this email a while back and it piqued my interest. I took it with a grain of salt.

Here is an example:

HAVE A REAL CHEESEBURGER!

No kidding. At a recent Cornell Nutrition Conference, the place was positively buzzing with praise for a fantastically potent anti-carcinogen called conjugated linoleic acid - CLA for short. CLA turns out to be effective at dietary levels under 0.05%, which is practically off the charts compared to other cancer-fighting nutrients. Already, you can find CLA capsules at swankier health food stores...

But why even bother? Because the world's richest sources of CLA are beef and lamb products, including cheese - and CLA was discovered by a researcher studying hamburger!

See how mass media medicine is literally scaring us to death? The same could be said about some of today's most widely-hyped cancer tests.

A cheeseburger might have CLA (and some essential proteins) but it also has a lot of other stuff that could shorten your life. Depending on how long it is cooked, it might have rancid fats or heterocyclic aromatic amines. Depending on the toppings and bun, the number of calories (think double whopper) could be near a thousand, and they are mostly empty calories. I am not even going to get into the cheese. There are already a couple of threads here and other websites to let you know that milk and dairy products are the most wicked, god-awful, toxic, harmful, noxious, evil, deadly, poisonous, sickening, dangerous, repulsive, wicked, cancerous, disease-causing, rotten, lethal substances to ever grace the planet earth. ;)

A cheesburger could be made better if it was made from organic grass fed beef, cooked lightly, served on whole wheat bun/bread, and the toppings were fresh tomatoes and spinach. But then maybe it wouldn't taste as good.

I eat cheeseburgers and other low nutrition food as treats. Without some guilty pleasures once in a while, we would all go crazy.

#3 dannov

• Topic Starter
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

Ya Mind, I agree with you 100%. Those were the thoughts going through my head while reading this. I was thinking "Well ya, sure this might be good but...". Meat is treated with hormones and all sorts of crazy stuff, so I'm guessing it's a better bet to simply supplement CLA into your diet if you want it on a daily, consistent basis.

Actually, I think the "healthy" version of the burger that you described would taste best. ;) Love fresh-tasting food.

Also, I noticed on his site he actually is coming out with an anti-milk book.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

reading that actually made me angry.
that guy is full of it

#5 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

reading that actually made me angry.
that guy is full of it

Offer some specifics to back up your opinion, please, or there's no point in posting.

#6 dannov

• Topic Starter
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

I definitely wouldn't call Douglass full of it, he is a legit MD with some great media exposure over the years for his controversial research. I'm going with resveratrol on this one.

I'm not inferring that what he's recommending is the best thing for your health, but I do believe from my own research that a lot of what he says about the health benefits of what, for example, whole eggs provides people with is quite legitimate.

#7 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

I was a member of the Weston Price Foundation, before I became a CR society person, I've carried on with some of the beliefs-- people need better nutrition, in most parts of the world. http://www.westonaprice.org/

And, yes --grass fed beef/lamb is good for you (most lamb is grass fed)--egg yolk is nutrient dense... along with a diet rich with veggies--low on processed foods, and sugars including a lot of fruit sugars...

#8 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

I definitely wouldn't call Douglass full of it, he is a legit MD with some great media exposure over the years for his controversial research.

I'm going with resveratrol on this one. 

Please don't! I'm really not taking on one side or the other, here.

My post above was not an endorsement of his position in any way, shape, or form ... I don't necessarily agree with Douglass any more than I do with ajnast4r.

What I was trying to get at was that posts which state an opinion without factual evidence to back them up or links to useful information (or even a point of debate that one can open for discussion) really don't add much to the quality of these forums.

Whether one agrees with Douglass or not (and again, I take no opinion here), he does offer plenty of specific points one can call out and discuss.

These forums are much more useful when they consist of detailed discussion rather than the casting of votes.

#9 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

do not lecture me on contributing quality to these forums. i think the majority of members, including the mods of this forum would agree that i contribute a great deal to the quality to the health forums.

do i need to post 4 pages of pubmed studies to prove to you that a guy that says... dont drink water, each cheeseburgers, overindulge in steak & bacon grease, and that a man kidnapped and kept alive on a diet of hardboiled eggs for 4 months came out 'healthier' and 'bursting with energy'... is full of shit?

when a topic of discussion is worth investing the time into writing a lengthy, fact filled post... i do so. and when its so ridiculous that its not worth more than posting a BS flag... i do so

#10 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

A cheesburger could be made better if it was made from organic grass fed beef, cooked lightly, served on whole wheat bun/bread, and the toppings were fresh tomatoes and spinach. But then maybe it wouldn't taste as good.

How lightly? I've heard you should never eat ground beef with pink in the middle because of food poisoning bacteria. (Steaks are okay since the bacteria remain on the outside of a whole piece of meat)

#11 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

do i need to post 4 pages of pubmed studies to prove to you that a guy that says... dont drink water, each cheeseburgers, overindulge in steak & bacon grease, and that a man kidnapped and kept alive on a diet of hardboiled eggs for 4 months came out 'healthier' and 'bursting with energy'... is full of shit?

Wasn't trying to lecture anyone, ajnast4r. Was just looking for something to understand your point of view, and the quote above gives me that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users