Photo
- - - - -

Whey/(apo)lactoferrin and weight loss

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

I've started taking a bit of whey over the past 10 days, usually a scoop (20g) of whey isolate with added lactoferrin (50 mg) from LEF. The lactoferrin is in the apolactoferrin form, so it scrounges up iron in the gut, which may reduce the number of gut pathogens as their growth is iron limited, LEF claims. The only other change I've made to my supplement regime is to use LEF's curcumin product (the one that doesn't use piperine).

I lost 6-7 pounds in this period, which surprised me. I'm only at 140 pounds now, and my BMI is about 21.5, a drop of about 2 points. Anyone else seen this type of weight loss on either whey or lactoferrin?

I've read somewhere else that a study examined the gut bacteria of a variety of people overweight and not, and they found that the bacteria in an overweight person was different in a normal weight person, and that the types of bacteria in dieters change as they loose weight. Here's one New Scientist article that talks about gut bacteria and weight.

In a second New Scientist article, I read

The amount of weight an animal gains from eating depends partly on the types of microbes found in its gut, a new mouse study reveals.

I am wondering whether the kind of bacteria that increase calorie absorption from food are also the ones that need the iron that the apolactoferrin binds.

Stephen

#2 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

so only the apo form does this to the iron?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

6-7 lbs. in 10 days? Got to be mostly H20. Maybe an Atkins type effect from increased protein?

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

so only the apo form does this to the iron?

I suppose it would make sense that the apo- form is superior in this regard.

Biometals. 2004 Jun;17(3):209-16.
    Lactoferrin and iron: structural and dynamic aspects of binding and release.
    Baker HM, Baker EN.

School of Biological Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.

Lactoferrin (Lf) has long been recognized as a member of the transferrin family of proteins and an important regulator of the levels of free iron in the body fluids of mammals. Its ability to bind ferric iron with high affinity (KD approximately 10(-20) M) and to retain it to low pH gives the protein bacteriostatic and antioxidant properties. This ability can be well understood in terms of its three dimensional (3D) structure. The molecule is folded into two homologous lobes (N- and C-lobes) with each lobe binding a single Fe3+ ion in a deep cleft between two domains. The iron sites are highly conserved, and highly favorable for iron binding. Iron binding and release are associated with large conformational changes in which the protein adopts either open or closed states. Comparison of available apolactoferrin structures suggests that iron binding is dependent on the dynamics of the open state. What triggers release of the tightly bound iron, however, and why lactoferrin retains iron to much lower pH than its serum homologue, transferrin, has been the subject of much speculation. Comparisons of structural and functional data on lactoferrins and transferrins now suggest that the key factor comes from cooperative interactions between the two lobes of the molecule, mediated by two alpha-helices.

PMID: 15222467 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#5 zacky

• 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

AOR just came out with a ultra Lactoferrin added Whey Protein.

IMMUNE-ULTRA™ is an advanced protein formula designed to support and enhance the immune system. IMMUNE-ULTRA™ contains 4.82g of lactoferrin per serving.

#6 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

6-7 lbs. in 10 days?  Got to be mostly H20. Maybe an Atkins type effect from increased protein?

Could be. I didn't consciously set out to change my eating habits though, so I can't say that I have been eating less.

I forgot to mention that I also have the apolactoferrin capsules (300 mg) which I have taken about every other day.

Stephen

#7 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

Could be. I didn't consciously set out to change my eating habits though, so I can't say that I have been eating less.

If you didn't monitor your intake, you might have been eating less without realizing it.

Br J Nutr. 2003 Feb;89(2):239-48.
    Casein and whey exert different effects on plasma amino acid profiles, gastrointestinal hormone secretion and appetite.
    Hall WL, Millward DJ, Long SJ, Morgan LM.

Centre for Nutrition and Food Safety, School of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH. w.hall@surrey.ac.uk

Protein, generally agreed to be the most satiating macronutrient, may differ in its effects on appetite depending on the protein source and variation in digestion and absorption. We investigated the effects of two milk protein types, casein and whey, on food intake and subjective ratings of hunger and fullness, and on postprandial metabolite and gastrointestinal hormone responses. Two studies were undertaken. The first study showed that energy intake from a buffet meal ad libitum was significantly less 90 min after a 1700 kJ liquid preload containing 48 g whey, compared with an equivalent casein preload (P<0.05). In the second study, the same whey preload led to a 28 % increase in postprandial plasma amino acid concentrations over 3 h compared with casein (incremental area under the curve (iAUC), P<0.05). Plasma cholecystokinin (CCK) was increased by 60 % (iAUC, P<0.005), glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 by 65 % (iAUC, P<0.05) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide by 36 % (iAUC, P<0.01) following the whey preload compared with the casein. Gastric emptying was influenced by protein type as evidenced by differing plasma paracetamol profiles with the two preloads. Greater subjective satiety followed the whey test meal (P<0.05). These results implicate post-absorptive increases in plasma amino acids together with both CCK and GLP-1 as potential mediators of the increased satiety response to whey and emphasise the importance of considering the impact of protein type on the appetite response to a mixed meal.

PMID: 12575908 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#8 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

LEF cites multiple modes of action WRT whey and weight loss.

I've been "eating" whey for years and year and my BMI hovers around 19.5 and has for many years also. Dunno if I initially lost weight after starting whey. If so, wasn't a lot, IIRC.

#9 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:01 AM

so how much APO-lactoferrin is in regular lactoferrin powder from BAC?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

AOR just came out with a ultra Lactoferrin added Whey Protein.

IMMUNE-ULTRA™ is an advanced protein formula designed to support and enhance the immune system. IMMUNE-ULTRA™ contains 4.82g of lactoferrin per serving.

Well, this is the only reference I could find to this product on the forums. In a month or two, I plan on starting a multi-month cycle of this product.

Particular reason being as an HPV combatant.

I will post my experiences with the supplement in due time. I am sure there are some people curious. Although, the price of the product makes it cost prohibitive.

Since the thread is about weightloss, I will also post my weight before, during, and after. Probably once a week, maybe even once a day, since I have a medical scale right next to me.

Edited by Bron, 23 March 2013 - 08:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users