Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

$25,000 Matching Grant for the WTA

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 galtsgulch

• 51 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:50 AM

I'm pleased to announce that the WTA has received generous donations from Bill Faloon, co-founder of the Life Extension Foundation ( www.lef.org) and editor of the Life Extension magazine, and Brian Cartmell, serial internet entrepreneur and founder of Cartmell Holdings, LLC (www.cartmell.com). The donations were made as matching grants for the WTA's first ever fund drive, which hopes to raise $50,000 to spread the organization's message. During the next two months, the Matching Grant will double the contributions received, up to $25,000.

According to Bill Faloon: "Mankind is on the verge of achieving significant life span extensions. The World Transhumanist Association functions as an authority to enlighten the world about breakthrough technologies that will make these radical longevity gains both possible and desirable. The Life Extension Foundation is pleased to offer this financial grant that will better enable the World Transhumanist Association to achieve its objectives."

Brian Cartmell commented: "I'm happy to lend my support to The World Transhumanist Association as they explore new scientific and technological avenues that might enable our species to supersede the physical suffering and death that needlessly curbs a fuller, richer flowering of individual achievement and human joy."

James Clement, executive director of the World Transhumanist Association, offered his thanks and said that the proceeds from this fund drive will be used for several exciting outreach projects. One such project is a new quarterly digital magazine that will show how technologies can help individuals live longer, healthier, smarter and happier lives. The WTA will also be redesigning its website and creating a travelling show for colleges and universities to introduce and discuss transhumanist concepts.

The World Transhumanist Association is a 501©(3) non-profit organization with 4,700 members worldwide. The aim of the WTA is to encourage the ethical development and use of technologies that will allow individuals to live longer, healthier, smarter, and happier lives. Transhumanists share a common viewpoint that the next stage in human evolution is to overcome disease and aging as well as enhance our biological and mental capabilities through the ethical use of new technologies. Further details regarding the
World Transhumanist Association can be found at www.transhumanism.org. More information concerning the fund drive can be found at www.transhumanism.org/match.

The Life Extension Foundation is a nonprofit organization, whose long-range goal is the radical extension of the healthy human lifespan. In seeking to control aging, the objective of the Foundation is to develop methods to enable us to live in health, youth and vigor for unlimited periods of time. The Life Extension Foundation was officially incorporated in 1980, but the founders have been involved in anti-aging research since the 1960's. Further details about the Life Extension Foundation can be found at www.lef.org.

Brian Cartmell has over 20 years experience in information technology systems, from international telephone billing systems to cutting edge computer security services. Brian Cartmell is founder of Cartmell Holdings, LLC. His team built eNICfrom the ground up, and in just four years managed to transform a little known domain with zero registrants into a growing Internet presence with over half a million subscribers. During his tenure as eNIC's CEO, Cartmell attended ICANN meetings in Cairo, Tokyo and Singapore, and testified before the United States Senate in regards to ICANN's Internet Governance policies. The success of eNIC under Cartmell's leadership led to the company's thirty-five million dollar acquisition in August of 2001 by Verisign. Barely missing a beat, Brian founded Spam Arrest in October of 2001, developing and patenting a novel challenge/response process for stopping unwanted electronic communications. Spam Arrest has blocked billions of unwanted emails for its customers, and is now one of the top 2000 trafficked sites on the Internet (according to Alexa.com). Currently, Brian is now focusing on the launch of MyPW, a company that promises to revolutionize the way information, systems and services are secured around the world.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for posting, James... to be sure, the webpage for making donations should be launched shortly?

Hat's off to Brian Cartmell and Bill Faloon (both supported ImmInst's film and conference) for their vision and commitment to an important, rationally planned social movement - transhumanism.

#3 galtsgulch

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:48 AM

Yes, both Bill Faloon and Brian Cartmell are true patron saints to transhumanist causes!

We should have the fund drive website at www.transhumanism.org/match up and running by early Wed. morning. A Beta version is up right now which still has some kinks to be worked out before tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all of the great things that you and ImmInst do to promote life-extension, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence!

Best regards,

James Clement
Executive Director
World Transhumanist Association

Edited by galtsgulch, 11 December 2007 - 04:52 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 jonano

• 472 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (galtsgulch @ 10-Dec 2007, 11:48 PM) View Post
Yes, both Bill Faloon and Brian Cartmell are true patron saints to transhumanist causes!

We should have the fund drive website at www.transhumanism.org/match up and running by early Wed. morning. A Beta version is up right now which still has some kinks to be worked out before tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all of the great things that you and ImmInst do to promote life-extension, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence!

Best regards,

James Clement
Executive Director

yes this is great.

#5 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

here's the donate page link...

http://www.transhumanism.org/match

Edited by kevin, 11 December 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Donated... thanks, Kev.
Attached File  te.gif   17.5KB   6 downloads

#7 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:05 AM

The president of h+ Tucson, Simone Syed, is the model in the picture of the T-shirt on the Matching Grant page. We are really excited to be able to participate in this fundraising campaign, and I wrote a brief "press release" to mention Simone's participation. Okay, so yeah, I don't know what to do with the press release, but it was fun writing it and pretending to be Apple (I studied Apple press releases.)

BTW, have you, gentle reader, donated yet?

Edited by Richard Leis, 13 December 2007 - 05:05 AM.

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

Great work, Richard... also, here's an updated from James Clement:

Dear Fellow Transhumanist,

Be a part of transhumanist history!

Bill Faloon of Life Extension Foundation and Brian Cartmell of Cartmell Holdings, LLC, have generously offered to help us kick off our first fundraising event by matching your donations up to $25,000 until January 31, 2008.

We need 250 members to give $100 each, so your donations can be doubled. This is a unique opportunity we cannot afford to miss!

This money will fund three projects necessary for the WTA's survival against a well-funded, organized, and vocal opposition. We intend to spread our memes through:

1) H+ Quarterly Digital Magazine

Featuring stories, interviews, news, and an events calendar, to be edited by the visionary journalist R.U. Sirius. It will be a fresh, fun and powerful medium for presenting all of our ideas to our membership and the general public.

2) Website Redesign, Logo and Branding

A desperately needed "extreme makeover" to get our ideas out there!

3) Student Outreach Road Show

Organize a one-day event at a top university to trial-run this concept, for educational exploration and membership growth.

Through members' generous efforts, we will be offering a special H+ T-shirt for each $100 donation, and autographed copies of Citizen Cyborg, Ending Aging, or The Singularity is Near for $250 donations.

I know that this time of year you receive many requests for donations. But this is the first time the WTA has asked for this kind of support from our members. We need you now. Please help.

To make these projects a reality, make your secure donation at our website, www.transhumanism.org/match.

You may also send a check to WTA, PO Box 128, Willington, CT 06279.

The World Transhumanist Association is a 501©(3) organization and your contribution will be tax- deductible to the extent allowed by law.

Help Transhumanism grow.

Sincerely,
James Clement

Executive Director

P.S. Please forward this to your family, friends and like-minded associates. We need their help, too!

#9 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:05 AM

A notice such as this should be posted at every forum that has a reasonable chance at cultivating donations. Any forums relating to Humanism, Science, Sci-Fi, and so on. If anyone can think of any, copy this information and post it there. Go WTA!

Edited by progressive, 15 December 2007 - 03:06 AM.

#10 galtsgulch

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

We would really like to have as many members of the Immortality Institute as possible join the World Transhumanist Association. The purpose of the WTA is to advocate for the ethical use of technology to expand human capacities and enable everyone to enjoy better minds, better bodies and better (and longer) lives. More information is available at www.transhumanism.org.

As stated elsewhere on this Forum, the elections for the WTA Board are going to be held shortly, and you have until January 5th to register as a paid, voting member and qualify to vote during this election. Any membership dues for Supporting or Sustaining memberships will be "doubled" persuant to our Matching Grant. To reiterate: although the Matching Grant is running until Jan. 31st, you must join by Jan. 5th in order to qualify to vote in the January WTA Board member elections.

Thanks,

James Clement
Executive Director

#11 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:27 AM

Agree, James.

I've recently joined WTA, and look forward to running for a WTA board seat.

Bruce

#12 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

Wehay! I've donated...looking forward to the new and improved WTA (and my stickers) ;) :) :-D.

Adam Davis, $50, One-Time, January 16

Edited by Biopunk, 17 January 2008 - 09:08 PM.

#13 galtsgulch

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

Dear Fellow Transhumanists;

With only one week left for the Matching Grant, we have raised only $16,000 of the desired $25,000. That means there's only 7 Days left for you to make a donation or join the WTA and have your contribution DOUBLED through our Matching Grand Fund Drive! Help us make the WTA the premier grass-roots promoter of the transhumanist life stance. If you are not yet a paid member, I urge you to go to our Match page (http://transhumanism.org/match) and donate now, we'll make sure your donation goes toward your membership and is doubled by the Matching Grant. If you are already a paid member, please consider making an additional donation while our Matching Grant Fund Drive is in progress. For more information about the fund drive and our plans for 2008, please see our Match page at http://transhumanism.org/match.

Show your H+ spirit and make a donation today!

With sincere thanks,

James Clement,
Executive Director,

P.S. if you want, you can divide your donation up into monthly or quarterly payments. Just change the frequency from "one-time" to "monthly or quarterly."

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

I got my 100 dollar donation in before the end of the drive ;)

Like I said, we humans must take charge of our evolution. I give to my church and many social action projects to help now, and I give to the WTA and other futurist organizations to help create the future.

I hope others are able to help them make their goal. :)

#15 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

So, uh, how do I get my t-shirt?

#16 galtsgulch

• Topic Starter
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:17 PM

Dear Fellow Transhumanists;

It gives me great pleasure to announce the results of our Matching Grant Fund Drive, which ended on February 2nd, 2008.

We received 165 denotations, totaling $20,868.00 in cash. However, Dan Stoicescu not only donated $1,000 in cash, but pledged another $11,000 over the course of the year . Pledges to be paid throughout the year came to an additional $11,329, with a total amount raised for the Fund Drive of $32,197.00!

Our Matching Grant donors, Bill Faloon of the Life Extension Foundation, and Brian Cartmell, of Cartmell Holdings, further agreed that they would increase the amount of their matching grant to cover the entire amount of money raised! That now gives the World Transhumanist Association a total working budget for 2008 of nearly $65,000! Thank you Bill, Brian, and Dan for your tremendous generosity!

On behalf of all of the Board Members of the WTA, I want to again thank all of you for your contributions and support of our organization. We have a lot of great plans for 2008, and can't wait to get things rolling.

Best wishes,

James Clement
Executive Director

#17 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:38 AM

People can say what they want about Faloon, but I like LEF supplements and it is nice to see that he puts his money where his mouth is.

#18 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

I'm looking for my t-shirt also...

QUOTE (shepard @ 29-Jan 2008, 07:11 PM) View Post
So, uh, how do I get my t-shirt?

#19 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:32 AM

Did you guys all sign up for that lef life extension magazine too? They were sending it to me for like a year. I thought it was all a big infomercial ad gimmick thing to get you to buy their vitamins though. I never saw sens, mprize, imminst or anything like that in there. Is it, was it? If its not then it would be easy enough to chat with them about getting it in there wouldnt it?

#20 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (brokenportal @ 4-Jun 2008, 02:32 AM) View Post
Did you guys all sign up for that lef life extension magazine too? They were sending it to me for like a year. I thought it was all a big infomercial ad gimmick thing to get you to buy their vitamins though. I never saw sens, mprize, imminst or anything like that in there. Is it, was it? If its not then it would be easy enough to chat with them about getting it in there wouldnt it?

I get the impression that they are very image conscious and want to keep as "mainstream" a front as possible. LEF is the kind of magazine my grandma would be caught reading IMHO.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

So what was the method and organization for getting 165 people to donate?

Are we going to do that here?

LEF wants to be mainstream, but is there not any room in the little ads in the back or anything for mfoundation, whatever imminst changes its name to and all that? Is the WTA even advertised in it at all?

Edited by brokenportal, 24 June 2008 - 06:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users