Photo
- - - - -

Alpha GPC & LDL Cholesterol

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 triffidfood

• 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

A simple question I guess, but I'm finding it really hard to find an answer to this.

Given that Alpha GPC is essentially a form of Choline, will taking Alpha GPC supplements have the same effect on Total & LDL Cholesterol levels that taking forms of Phosphatidylcholine supposedly does (i.e., lowering them ;) )?

I've searched all over the place to try to find an answer to this, but it's proving kinda elusive.

Anyway, any help with this would be really appreciated ~ thanks! :D

Edited by triffidfood, 07 February 2008 - 02:34 PM.

#2 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

A simple question I guess, but I'm finding it really hard to find an answer to this.

Given that Alpha GPC is essentially a form of Choline, will taking Alpha GPC supplements have the same effect on Total & LDL Cholesterol levels that taking forms of Phosphatidylcholine supposedly does (i.e., lowering them ;) )?

I've searched all over the place to try to find an answer to this, but it's proving kinda elusive.

Anyway, any help with this would be really appreciated ~ thanks! :D

I don't think so. Steve Harris said PC's cholesterol effect came from its omega 6 content, which GPC lacks. This review backs him up.

Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Feb;49(2):266-8.
Lecithin intake and serum cholesterol.
Knuiman JT, Beynen AC, Katan MB.
Department of Human Nutrition, Agricultural University, Wageningen, The Netherlands.

To find out whether the consumption of lecithin has a more beneficial effect on serum cholesterol than does the consumption of equivalent amounts of polyunsaturated oils, we scrutinized 24 studies on the effect of supplementary lecithin intakes ranging from 1 to 54 mg/d. Most of the studies lacked an appropriate control group, had a small sample size, or had changes in intake of other foods because of increased energy intake from lecithin. In only four trials were attempts made to balance fatty acid intakes of control and experimental groups. There is no evidence for a specific effect of lecithin on serum cholesterol independent of its linoleic acid content or secondary changes in food intake. The observed lecithin-induced hypocholesterolemic effects found in various studies were artifacts caused by the design and the manner of data analysis, were mediated by other dietary changes, or were due to the linoleic acid present in lecithin.

PMID: 2916447

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 triffidfood

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

I don't think so. Steve Harris said PC's cholesterol effect came from its omega 6 content, which GPC lacks. This review backs him up.
[...]

So, according to the above, it's not the Choline (~ Lecithin) per se that might be acting in some way to reduce serum Cholesterol levels, it's the Omega 6 it contains? That's really interesting .. so on that basis, I'd probably be better off taking flaxseed oil (or something similar) instead then!?

Anyway thanks for that! ;) I'm off to do some more research & confuse myself even further then....

#4 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

Flaxseed is high in omega 3 if i'm not mistaken. You'd probably be better off eating peanuts lol. Nah stick with olive oil, healthy omega 9 yet also some omega 6. Almonds and Walnuts are also great choices if you want more omega 9 & 3. I wouldn't go for a high source of omega 6 due to the imbalance problems already so problematic in society. So no soybean/safflower oil etc.

Edited by piet3r, 07 February 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#5 triffidfood

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

Flaxseed is high in omega 3 if i'm not mistaken. You'd probably be better off eating peanuts lol. Nah stick with olive oil, healthy omega 9 yet also some omega 6. Almonds and Walnuts are also great choices if you want more omega 9 & 3. I wouldn't go for a high source of omega 6 due to the imbalance problems already so problematic in society. So no sunflower oil etc.

That's cool .... I'm almost addicted to olive oil (my partner even bought me some for solstice/ xmas because I get through so much of it! ;) )

It's kinda strange how many of the things you're supposed to eat for healthy cholesterol that I actually really like anyway ... honey, garlic, dark chocolate, olive oil, tomatoes (i.e. tomatoey pasta sauces), seafood, kidney beans (well, beans & pulses anyway), peanuts, etc. All those plus (umm, moderate amounts of~) red wine of course..... perfect!

(I even had this bizarre lecithin addiction a couple of years ago, when I was trying to lucid dream ~ it actually tastes quite nice mixed with orange/ fruit juice, before you try to get back to sleep...... ;) )

Edited by triffidfood, 07 February 2008 - 09:11 PM.

#6 triffidfood

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

(Bumping my own topic up to ask (another) question.. )

My GP gave me my blood results as decimals, but I'm not sure how to convert these into pure numbers (the numbers that usually seem to be used). Could someone give me a clue how to convert these please?

My results were:

Total Chol = 6.2
Triglycerides = 1.4
HDL = 1.53
LDL = 4.0
TC/ HDL Ratio = 4.1

(Apparently these scores are kinda all over the place, probably because there are several factors working against each other in my case.)

Anyway I'd really appreciate some help converting these... ;)

#7 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

(Bumping my own topic up to ask (another) question.. )

My GP gave me my blood results as decimals, but I'm not sure how to convert these into pure numbers (the numbers that usually seem to be used). Could someone give me a clue how to convert these please?

My results were:

Total Chol = 6.2
Triglycerides = 1.4
HDL = 1.53
LDL = 4.0
TC/ HDL Ratio = 4.1

(Apparently these scores are kinda all over the place, probably because there are several factors working against each other in my case.)

Anyway I'd really appreciate some help converting these... ;)

I get these numbers when using the conversions at this site.

total 240
TG 124
HDL 59
LDL 155

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 triffidfood

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

I get these numbers when using the conversions at this site.

total 240
TG 124
HDL 59
LDL 155

Thanks, that's extremely helpful! ;) (The figures & the link ..)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users