• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Any research behind supplements that lower SHBG?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:12 AM

Any studies on supplements that supposedly lower SHBG?
Fish oil, nettle root, avena sativa....

From my reading it seems like low carb diets, high and low calorie diets, low and high protein, and excessive endurance exercise raise SHBG.

Also, how much oatmeal would it take to get the avanocosides in avena sativa extract? Can you just eat a couple of bowls of oatmeal a day and get the same effect?

#2 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

I don't think nettle root lowers it, it just ties it up.

Planta Med. 1997 Dec;63(6):529-32.
Lignans from the roots of Urtica dioica and their metabolites bind to human sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG).
Schöttner M, Gansser D, Spiteller G.
Lehrstuhl Organische Chemie I, Universität Bayreuth, Germany.

Polar extracts of the stinging nettle (Urtica dioica L.) roots contain the ligans (+)-neoolivil, (-)-secoisolariciresinol, dehydrodiconiferyl alcohol, isolariciresinol, pinoresinol, and 3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran. These compounds were either isolated from Urtica roots, or obtained semisynthetically. Their affinity to human sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) was tested in an in vitro assay. In addition, the main intestinal transformation products of plant lignans in humans, enterodiol and enterolactone, together with enterofuran were checked for their activity. All lignans except (-)-pinoresinol developed a binding affinity to SHBG in the in vitro assay. The affinity of (-)-3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran was outstandingly high. These findings are discussed with respect to potential beneficial effects of plant lignans on benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

PMID: 9434605

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 shamus

• 86 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

I don't think nettle root lowers it, it just ties it up.

Deactivating, thus lowering the active amount.

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:09 AM

Fruity Pebbles.

Best supplement ever.

#5 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:59 PM

Fruity Pebbles.

Best supplement ever.

Insulin?

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:41 AM

Fruity Pebbles.

Best supplement ever.

pay this man

#7 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

How does Avena lower SHBG? I always see this claim but have yet to see one single referenced study. Did some supplier just pull this out his ass and started marketing it to everyone? I believe androgens will lower SHBG production while estrogens will drastically increase it. I think there's a few products that use a specific lignan in nettle that has a high affinity for SHBG. The question is that since SHBG binds all sex hormones will it displace one more preferentially than others? I assume hormones have different affinities for SHBG so you might wind up releasing estrogen before testosterone which isn't ideal for men. Also, wouldn't these free hormones just get bound by albumin?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 HealthyLiving

• 123 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

Sorry about bumping a really old threat. However, this thread has a lot of good information so thats why I brought it  up again.

Fruity Pebbles.

Best supplement ever.

pay this man

What is Fruity Pebbles? Tried to search for it, but it doesnt come up as any supplement.

Foods that can decrase shbg:

Broccoli, cauliflower and broussel sprouts.

Muira Puama reduces shbg too.

Great article about shbg:

http://askville.amaz...uestId=35823987

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users