- - - - -

Polypodium leucotomos \ aureum

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

Spun off from: Fredriks skincare regime, protect, prevent and repair

aka Kalawalla, Calaguala, Samambia, Anapsos, etc.

http://www.rain-tree.com/samambia.htm
http://en.wikipedia....lebodium_aureum

Found in products such as HelioCare, FernBlock (LEF), Amazon Vitality (Raintree), and others.

I have personally just bought Calaguala Extract (Raintree) and will update this thread on it later this summer.

#2 Gerald W. Gaston

• Topic Starter
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

How timely. Right after starting this topic, I went to the mailbox and found the LEF's July 2008 issue. Within the article on Skin Cancer is a writeup on Polypodium leucotomos... followed of course by their ad for FernBlock. ;)

Also in this issue I see a full page age for the ADCI.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Gerald W. Gaston

• Topic Starter
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

HelioCare on ABC News

Edited by frankbuzin, 10 June 2008 - 04:46 PM.

#4 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

I asked my dermatologist about Heliocare but he said he'd never heard of the stuff. He went and did about 5 minutes of research for me while I sat in the office. He said that it looked promising and at least it would probably not hurt.

With his half hearted blessing i've been using Heliocare for the past 3 weeks. I was going on vacation and I knew that i'd definately be exposing myself to excessive amounts of sun.

Over the course of the trip I used a high quality EU sunscreen and 2-3 Heliocare per day. Since i've been back I switched to 1 a day. I don't like the Titanium Dioxide in the pills so I opened it up and took the powder straight with some water.

I can report that while on it I did burn mildly. all on my nose and forehead while in Rome.

The sunburn lightened considerably and after a 24 hour period it was gone completely. This all occurred while I was still exposing myself to sunlight with protection.

I figured from all of the exposure that i'd of tanned at least slightly but I had no discernable skin tone difference, which I was very happy about. Comparing exposed parts (arms,legs and head) to my non-exposed areas there was no tan.

I'll say that I "think" it works according to claim, I've been looking for a cheaper quality alternative to Heliocare. In searches I was only able to pull up Heliocare and Kalwalla as containing Polypodium Leucotemos. I didn't trust suplliers selling extract over over Ebay and I think Kalwalla's brand is a little sketchy. I'm happy to see that there are other names for this herb but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a quality brand or supplier other than Heliocare?

$40-$60 a bottle is a little rich for my blood.

Edited by shadowrun, 10 June 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#5 Gerald W. Gaston

• Topic Starter
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

...I'm happy to see that there are other names for this herb but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a quality brand or supplier other than Heliocare?

I've seen mention of HelioCare for ~$38 but yeah that is still expensive. Lef's fernblock is $39 for single bottle of 30ct for non-member, down to $26.25 ea for qty of 4 bottle (30ct) or more. It supposedly has 240mg PLE also per capsule.

Edit: Quick search finds that you can get HelioCare for ~$34 in qty of 4 bottles or more from some sites. And these are 60ct bottles. So if S/H isn't high (haven't checked), it is still cheaper than LEF's brand.

More edits: Typos and more info

Edited by frankbuzin, 10 June 2008 - 10:23 PM.

#6 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

I asked my dermatologist about Heliocare but he said he'd never heard of the stuff. He went and did about 5 minutes of research for me while I sat in the office. He said that it looked promising and at least it would probably not hurt.

With his half hearted blessing i've been using Heliocare for the past 3 weeks. I was going on vacation and I knew that i'd definately be exposing myself to excessive amounts of sun.

Over the course of the trip I used a high quality EU sunscreen and 2-3 Heliocare per day. Since i've been back I switched to 1 a day. I don't like the Titanium Dioxide in the pills so I opened it up and took the powder straight with some water.

I can report that while on it I did burn mildly. all on my nose and forehead while in Rome.

The sunburn lightened considerably and after a 24 hour period it was gone completely. This all occurred while I was still exposing myself to sunlight with protection.

I figured from all of the exposure that i'd of tanned at least slightly but I had no discernable skin tone difference, which I was very happy about. Comparing exposed parts (arms,legs and head) to my non-exposed areas there was no tan.

I'll say that I "think" it works according to claim, I've been looking for a cheaper quality alternative to Heliocare. In searches I was only able to pull up Heliocare and Kalwalla as containing Polypodium Leucotemos. I didn't trust suplliers selling extract over over Ebay and I think Kalwalla's brand is a little sketchy. I'm happy to see that there are other names for this herb but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a quality brand or supplier other than Heliocare?

Good to have reports like this. I used it last summer, still have two bottles left. I have the european version that has synthetic betacarotene so I won´t reorder. And the american version cost to much.

Advice to people taking PLE: take it 30-40 minutes before a meal to not hinder absorption. Also do not use with alcohol. Strangely enough, according to the patent description alcohol decreases the effect of PLE. I don´t know the mechanism though.

There´s a clinical trial on Heliocare right now, with an estimated completion date of may 2009. I´m looking forward to the results. This supplement is rather interesting. I hope it affords good UVA-protection but I´m happy with the added SPF. No topical antioxidant I´ve seen in a trial afford greater protection than spf 8. So antioxidants are really hyped, they have an almost mythical magic stature among many of us, and they´re still less efficient than spf 8+ sunscreens in protecting skin from free radical and DNA-damage.

The ongoing Heliocare trial:

Single-Blind Study Determining the Efficacy of Polypodium Leucotomos Extract Supplement in Decreasing Ultraviolet A (UVA) Premutagenic and Photoaging Markers (Heliocare)

http://clinicaltrial...2...dium&rank=1

Purpose

With this study we will like to determine if taking a dose of the study medication, called Polypodium leucotomos (PL), prevents some of the changes in the skin caused by the adverse effects of UVA, a type of ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light is a form of radiation which is not visible to the human eye. The sun produces different types of ultraviolet radiation, and UVA is one of them. More than 95% of the solar UV energy that reaches our skin is from the UVA type. UVA penetrates cloud cover and glass windows.

PL extract comes from a tropical fern plant grown in Central and South America, and it is a dietary supplement available in the US. No side effects have been reported with Polypodium leucotomos extract since becoming commercially available in 1982. Also, PL extract was approved for oral use by the Institutional Review Board of The Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, for studies by Harvard Medical School faculty in human volunteers that were carried out for a period of two years, using artificial light and sunlight as ultraviolet sources.

This is an investigator-blinded study, which means that the doctor evaluating you will not know if you are receiving the study medication or not. Another doctor will be supplying you with the medication and discussing any problems that you may have with the medication.

Primary Outcome Measures:

* H&E study of skin biopsy sample taken from final visit [ Time Frame: 24 hours after Ultraviolet A treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
* PCR determination of common deletion in DNA of skin biopsy sample taken from final visit [ Time Frame: 24 hours after Ultraviolet A treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
* 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxo-dG) quantification in skin biopsy sample taken from final visit [ Time Frame: 24 hours after Ultraviolet A treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

Estimated Enrollment: 10
Study Start Date: August 2007
Estimated Study Completion Date: May 2009
Estimated Primary Completion Date: May 2009 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

Edited by Fredrik, 11 June 2008 - 11:28 PM.

#7 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

Good to have reports like this. I used it last summer, still have two bottles left. I have the european version that has synthetic betacarotene so I won´t reorder. And the american version cost to much.

Advice to people taking PLE: take it 30-40 minutes before a meal to not hinder absorption. Also do not use with alcohol. Strangely enough, according to the patent description alcohol decreases the effect of PLE. I don´t know the mechanism though.

There´s a clinical trial on Heliocare right now, with an estimated completion date of may 2009. I´m looking forward to the results. This supplement is rather interesting. I hope it affords good UVA-protection but I´m happy with the added SPF. No topical antioxidant I´ve seen in a trial afford greater protection than spf 8. So antioxidants are really hyped, they have an almost mythical magic stature among many of us, and they´re still less efficient than spf 8+ sunscreens in protecting skin from free radical and DNA-damage.

The ongoing Heliocare trial:

Single-Blind Study Determining the Efficacy of Polypodium Leucotomos Extract Supplement in Decreasing Ultraviolet A (UVA) Premutagenic and Photoaging Markers (Heliocare)

http://clinicaltrial...2...dium&rank=1

Purpose

With this study we will like to determine if taking a dose of the study medication, called Polypodium leucotomos (PL), prevents some of the changes in the skin caused by the adverse effects of UVA, a type of ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light is a form of radiation which is not visible to the human eye. The sun produces different types of ultraviolet radiation, and UVA is one of them. More than 95% of the solar UV energy that reaches our skin is from the UVA type. UVA penetrates cloud cover and glass windows.

PL extract comes from a tropical fern plant grown in Central and South America, and it is a dietary supplement available in the US. No side effects have been reported with Polypodium leucotomos extract since becoming commercially available in 1982. Also, PL extract was approved for oral use by the Institutional Review Board of The Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, for studies by Harvard Medical School faculty in human volunteers that were carried out for a period of two years, using artificial light and sunlight as ultraviolet sources.

This is an investigator-blinded study, which means that the doctor evaluating you will not know if you are receiving the study medication or not. Another doctor will be supplying you with the medication and discussing any problems that you may have with the medication.

Primary Outcome Measures:

* H&E study of skin biopsy sample taken from final visit [ Time Frame: 24 hours after Ultraviolet A treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
* PCR determination of common deletion in DNA of skin biopsy sample taken from final visit [ Time Frame: 24 hours after Ultraviolet A treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
* 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxo-dG) quantification in skin biopsy sample taken from final visit [ Time Frame: 24 hours after Ultraviolet A treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

Estimated Enrollment: 10
Study Start Date: August 2007
Estimated Study Completion Date: May 2009
Estimated Primary Completion Date: May 2009 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

Frederik - Thanks for extra information and the link to that study.

Its interesting that Alcohol interferes with the mechanism of PLE. If I recall correctly, alcohol by itself will also increases UV damage from sun exposure.

Its sad because Alcohol and Sun exposure go so well together. :~

The cheapest price I found was by calling local pharmacies (its an OTC) and asking about the price. I called about 5 places and finally found that my local supermarket's pharmacy will order for me at the price of $41 a bottle with no shipping fees and next day pick-up.

Edited by shadowrun, 12 June 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#8 Gerald W. Gaston

• Topic Starter
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:59 AM

I've seen mention of HelioCare for ~$38 but yeah that is still expensive. Lef's fernblock is $39 for single bottle of 30ct for non-member, down to $26.25 ea for qty of 4 bottle (30ct) or more. It supposedly has 240mg PLE also per capsule.

Edit: Quick search finds that you can get HelioCare for ~$34 in qty of 4 bottles or more from some sites. And these are 60ct bottles. So if S/H isn't high (haven't checked), it is still cheaper than LEF's brand.

I know a cheaper price for HelioCare has already been mentioned... but just thought I'd mention for you LEF fans that LEF has fernblock on sale for $15.60 per 30ct bottle.

#9 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

I know a cheaper price for HelioCare has already been mentioned... but just thought I'd mention for you LEF fans that LEF has fernblock on sale for $15.60 per 30ct bottle.

Hi Frank, I've been looking to purchase another round of Polypodium leucotemos and I definitely saw this deal at LEF.

- The LEF stuff looks good - You also get the added benefit of no Titanium Dioxide or artificial colors in the pill ingredients.
I've had to open those ugly yellow pills and take the powder straight up...Tastes a little like slightly moldy licorice - Not the worst thing i've ever tasted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users