• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Supplements to reverse toxicity caused by Amphetamine abuse?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Advanc3d

• 283 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

From what i've been reading...

Acetyl-l-carnitine arginate
Methyl B12
Antioxidants
SAM-e
Fishoil
Magnesium

These help to reverse oxidative toxicity caused by frequent Amphetamine use
is this true? would these supplements regenerated the damaged neurons and eventually restore brains health?
is there any other supplements that i haven't mentioned and which is most effective?

Edited by Advanc3d, 23 July 2008 - 10:01 AM.

#2 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

Methyl B12
Antioxidants
SAM-e
Fishoil
Magnesium

is this true? would these supplements regenerated the damaged neurons and eventually restore brains health?
is there any other supplements that i haven't mentioned and which is most effective?

DMAE, hydergine, piracetam, CDP Choline, ALCAR + ALA

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

Huperzine A has been found to have NGF effects. There could be others that do, as well. Exercise activates NGF, too.

Edited by Rags847, 26 July 2008 - 06:56 AM.

#4 shamus

• 86 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Step 1) Take a week off ;)

ALCAR's meant to do the trick quite well.

I'm liking the look of tianeptine more & more, I think I might trial it this semester.

#5 Advanc3d

• Topic Starter
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:07 AM

bump
any more info? considering i read articles saying the use of meth or amphetamine causes "serious or permanent damage" on serotonin/dopamine neurons. would this be a true statement? im sure the brain can recover it self from such oxidative stress.

on Pubmed its said that Carnitine & Selenium pre- and post- Meth use is very good at reducing/blocking neurotoxicty.
i guessing Deprenyl is also good at that since from what i understand the major toxicity is from dopamine's metabolism in to free oxygen radicals

Edited by Advanc3d, 26 August 2008 - 05:12 AM.

#6 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

Methamphetamine is highly toxic. Amphetamine has been shown to increase neuroplasticity at lower doses, and at higher doses some neurotoxicity, AFAIK not comparable to meth though.

#7 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

Methyl B12
Antioxidants
SAM-e
Fishoil
Magnesium

First of all, how do you know you've done any damage at all?

How long have you been taking amphetamine and at what dosages?

If you just recently quit taking it after a prolonged period of time, you may feel like you have some damage; in reality, that is just your body getting accustomed to not having amphetamines anymore. This will pass in time.

#8 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

Palo Alto Labs' Reset AD

Very good results from it.

Renwosing

Edited by renwosing, 26 August 2008 - 03:03 PM.

#9 Advanc3d

• Topic Starter
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

Methyl B12
Antioxidants
SAM-e
Fishoil
Magnesium

If you just recently quit taking it after a prolonged period of time, you may feel like you have some damage; in reality, that is just your body getting accustomed to not having amphetamines anymore. This will pass in time.

well from what i gathered from pubmed, amphetamine/mdma/meth abuse causes substantial neurotoxicity, some of which being permenat, if this is true then even though i dont feel "brain f**ked" i would like to restore my brain to how it was or atleast close to it with the aid of supplements and time.

#10 amabill

• 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

I also heard of a product like Reset AD, that is designed for amphetamine tolerance. I found it on www.amphetarestore.com. Seemed legit.

#11 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:49 AM

That's ridiculous overpriced garbage.

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

That's ridiculous overpriced garbage.

this

#13 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

First of all depending on how long and how much you've been doing it (5-day binges vs just a couple days) it's gonna take time for your body to recover.

Took me about 6 months to even begin to feel normal after just under a year of some frequent usage. That's about when you begin to get your normal energy levels back.

I think taking L-Tyrosine might help with the dopamine part, and you might want some 5-HTP in there as well. Just eat plenty and take vitamins and then start exercising, but again I dunno the severity of your use. 

I really took anything and everything, throw in some piracetam or some basic nootropic if you want to but I dont think its necessary.

DON'T take Tianeptine - the comedowns from that are worse than from amphetamines - that stuff only seems fine and dandy at first until you gotta get off and face the music.

Edited by russianBEAR, 14 July 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#14 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

N-Acetylcysteine amide protects against methamphetamine-induced oxidative stress and neurotoxicity in immortalized human brain endothelial cells.

Zhang X, Banerjee A, Banks WA, Ercal N.
Department of Chemistry, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 400 West 11th Street, 236 Schrenk Hall, Rolla, MO 65409, USA.

Oxidative stress plays an important role in neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease. Methamphetamine (METH) is an amphetamine analog that causes degeneration of the dopaminergic system in mammals and subsequent oxidative stress. In our present study, we have used immortalized human brain microvascular endothelial (HBMVEC) cells to test whether N-acetylcysteine amide (NACA), a novel antioxidant, prevents METH-induced oxidative stress in vitro. Our studies showed that NACA protects against METH-induced oxidative stress in HBMVEC cells. NACA significantly protected the integrity of our blood brain barrier (BBB) model, as shown by permeability and trans-endothelial electrical resistance (TEER) studies. NACA also significantly increased the levels of intracellular glutathione (GSH) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx). Malondialdehyde (MDA) levels increased dramatically after METH exposure, but this increase was almost completely prevented when the cells were treated with NACA. Generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) also increased after METH exposure, but was reduced to control levels with NACA treatment, as measured by dichlorofluorescin (DCF). These results suggest that NACA protects the BBB integrity in vitro, which could prevent oxidative stress-induced damage; therefore, the effectiveness of this antioxidant should be evaluated for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases in the future.

Brain antioxidant systems in human methamphetamine users.

Mirecki A, Fitzmaurice P, Ang L, Kalasinsky KS, Peretti FJ, Aiken SS, Wickham DJ, Sherwin A, Nobrega JN, Forman HJ, Kish SJ.
Human Neurochemical Pathology Laboratory, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5T 1R8.
Animal data suggest that the widely abused psychostimulant methamphetamine can damage brain dopamine neurones by causing dopamine-dependent oxidative stress; however, the relevance to human methamphetamine users is unclear. We measured levels of key antioxidant defences [reduced (GSH) and oxidized (GSSG) glutathione, six major GSH system enzymes, copper-zinc superoxide dismutase (CuZnSOD), uric acid] that are often altered after exposure to oxidative stress, in autopsied brain of human methamphetamine users and matched controls. Changes in the total (n = 20) methamphetamine group were limited to the dopamine-rich caudate (the striatal subdivision with the most severe dopamine loss) in which only activity of CuZnSOD (+ 14%) and GSSG levels (+ 58%) were changed. In the six methamphetamine users with severe (- 72 to - 97%) caudate dopamine loss, caudate CuZnSOD activity (+ 20%) and uric acid levels (+ 63%) were increased with a trend for decreased (- 35%) GSH concentration. Our data suggest that brain levels of many antioxidant systems are preserved in methamphetamine users and that GSH depletion, commonly observed during severe oxidative stress, might occur only with severe dopamine loss. Increased CuZnSOD and uric acid might reflect compensatory responses to oxidative stress. Future studies are necessary to establish whether these changes are associated with oxidative brain damage in human methamphetamine users.

• like x 1

#15 ooooouuuuuuuu

• 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

Selegiline

Deprenyl treatment attenuates long-term pre- and post-synaptic changes evoked by chronic methamphetamine.
Davidson C, Chen Q, Zhang X, Xiong X, Lazarus C, Lee TH, Ellinwood EH. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Box 3870, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA. colda@duke.edu

Deprenyl, used clinically in Parkinson's disease, has multiple pharmacological effects which make it a good candidate to treat neurotoxicity. Thus, we investigated deprenyl's ability to attenuate methamphetamine-induced dopamine neurotoxicity. We also examined deprenyl's effect in changing markers associated with psychostimulant sensitization. A potential therapeutic effect on either pathological domain would be a boon in developing novel treatments for methamphetamine abuse. Adult male Sprague-Dawley rats were split into 6 groups. Three groups received a 7-day saline minipump with saline, 0.05 or 0.25 mg/kg SC deprenyl injections given for 10 days before, during and 5 days after the 7-day saline minipump implant. Similarly, 3 groups received methamphetamine pumps (25 mg/kg/day) with escalating daily injections of methamphetamine (0-6 mg/kg) in addition to the minipump treatment. These rats also received saline, 0.05 or 0.25 mg/kg deprenyl injections given before, during and the 7-day minipump treatment. Rats were killed on day 28 of withdrawal and brain samples taken. HPLC analysis for dopamine and 3,4-Dihydroxy-Phenylacetic Acid (DOPAC) revealed a loss of dopamine in the caudate and accumbens which was partially reversed by high dose deprenyl. Tyrosine hydroxylase immunostaining in the midbrain was unaffected by methamphetamine, suggesting that dopamine neurotoxicity was localized to the caudate. Western blot analysis of the caudate after methamphetamine revealed little change in Alpha-Amino-3-Hydroxy-5-Methyl-4-Isoxazole Propionic Acid (AMPA) GluR1 or N-Methyl-d-Aspartate (NMDA) NR2B subunits, or their phosphorylation state. However, methamphetamine increased levels of GluR1 and its phosphorylation state in the prefrontal cortex (PFC), and these increases were attenuated by deprenyl. Methamphetamine also increased levels of PFC NR2B subunit, but these increases were not attenuated by deprenyl. We suggest that deprenyl may be effective in reducing the neurotoxic effects of methamphetamine and may also attenuate changes in prefrontal AMPA receptor function, presumably more associated with addiction rather than neurotoxicity.

#16 amabill

• 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

I actually did purchase the Ampheta-Restore stuff since my last entry. I have been on it for a few weeks now. It definitely is not a cure all, but, I noticed a huge increase by the end of week two in the effectiveness of my meds. I was able to cut my dose in half on most days and was also able to stay away from my 3pm in-office coffee craving. I'll post more when I finish the bottle.

#17 amabill

• 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:04 AM

I decided to try the Ampheta stuff with a Benadryl at night to see what it did to my tolerance. I noticed a definite improvement. I barely felt like I needed meds today.

#18 navyblue

• 182 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:12 AM

Palo Alto Labs' Reset AD

Very good results from it.

Renwosing

Tried this stuff 2 years ago and it kept me awake for 2-3 days (not kidding). It felt like speed, but everyone is different. For me it was primarily the pantothenic acid involved.

To chip in on your question. From what I understand and have read is that Ashwagandha is very good at regenerating dendrites and acts as a very powerful anti-oxidant.

#19 modaritalin

• 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Any suggestions on supplements to counter oxidation caused by (long-term use) Ritalin and Adderall? I currently use on Vitamin C and E. Preferably the supplements can be purchased at local Walgreen and Costco. Thanks!

BTW, how to post PDF attachments on the forum? I have access to university database, and want to post peer-reviewed academic paper so that discussion on this forum will become more scientific gradually.

[merged from identical thread]

Edited by chrono, 18 October 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#20 modaritalin

• 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Attached File  _AMP__Amphetamine_Neurotoxicity___Copy___Copy.pdf   97.88KB   164 downloads

This is one of the papers.

#21 madanthony

• 86 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Any suggestions on supplements to counter oxidation caused by (long-term use) Ritalin and Adderall? I currently use on Vitamin C and E. Preferably the supplements can be purchased at local Walgreen and Costco. Thanks!

BTW, how to post PDF attachments on the forum? I have access to university database, and want to post peer-reviewed academic paper so that discussion on this forum will become more scientific gradually.

How about eating anti-oxidants -- the high ORAC diet:
http://oracvalues.com/sort/orac-value

I imagine any anti-oxidants would do...consider alpha-lipoic acid because it can be used where EITHER a fat OR water soluble anti-oxidant s needed and it rejuvenates (to a degree) A and E in the body. I also take CoQ10. Well, I take a lot of things that have high anti-oxidant value. Oh, maybe give a thought to cellular antioxidant glutathione (I take milk thistle, but others take NAC to increase this).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

Good paper, thanks.

If you think you'll be posting a lot, hosting these off-site might be more considerate based on copyright concerns, but I don't know how the higher-ups here feel about that. This paper was a review, but oftentimes simply posting the abstract with some highlighted text, or a few relative quotes from the full text, is more useful. If you're trying to raise the bar of discussion, just dumping papers in a thread might not be realistically that helpful.

Also, adding to a highly pertinent discussion already in progress is probably preferable to asking folks to re-hash everything for you in a new thread.
among others.

Edited by chrono, 07 April 2010 - 12:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users