Photo
- - - - -

Oxiracetam

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 nancy_axel

• 175 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

Does anyone else notice intense sleepiness when on 400 mg Oxi? Even after taking 300 mg Alpha GPC & a vitamin B complex?

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:12 AM

Does anyone else notice intense sleepiness when on 400 mg Oxi? Even after taking 300 mg Alpha GPC & a vitamin B complex?

I don't know but for me, it gives me a weird, wired energy along with being very edgy and aggressive. I discontinued it due to this.

Are you taking your alpha-gpc on an empty stomach? I hope so because it is water-soluble and is best absorbed this way.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

Same here - made me feel really weird. Discontinued it.

Cheers

Alex

I don't know but for me, it gives me a weird, wired energy along with being very edgy and aggressive. I discontinued it due to this.

Are you taking your alpha-gpc on an empty stomach? I hope so because it is water-soluble and is best absorbed this way.

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

No. try and blend it with Piracetam and up the choline.

#5 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:05 AM

I'm very curious as to what you mean by weird. Throw me some adjectives.

Same here - made me feel really weird. Discontinued it.

Cheers

Alex

#6 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:56 PM

None for me. I actually like it. The analogy I use to describe it is "torque for the brain". It doesn't speed thoughts for me as much as it helps me push through new concepts. Great study aid. I take 800 mg of the RI product occasionally.

Stephen

Edited by stephen_b, 21 August 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#7 NickCallaway

• 54 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

Actually, oxi has somewhat of a mild stim effect on me. Make sure you're getting enough water.

#8 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:36 AM

Oxi as an effect similar to coffee on me. I get nervous and has trouble to speak.

#9 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:03 AM

It's stimulating, and stimulants cause sleepiness is some people.

#10 nancy_axel

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:20 PM

Oxiracetam makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to talk properly. Even after 400-800 mg oxiracetam and 1200 mg ALPHA GPC. I downed the dose of Oxi, but the 'racetam is terrible. Gives you a wired, noticably socially awkward feeling. (me and my dad)

#11 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:18 AM

1200 mg ALPHA GPC.

no wonder

#12 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:00 AM

Oxiracetam makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to talk properly. Even after 400-800 mg oxiracetam and 1200 mg ALPHA GPC. I downed the dose of Oxi, but the 'racetam is terrible. Gives you a wired, noticably socially awkward feeling. (me and my dad)

You share nootropics with your dad? That's funny. "Hey dad! Try that it will make you feel funny". "NO DRUGS IN MY HOUSE!!! GET OUT OF HERE!"
  • Cheerful x 1

#13 nancy_axel

• Topic Starter
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:52 AM

You share nootropics with your dad? That's funny. "Hey dad! Try that it will make you feel funny". "NO DRUGS IN MY HOUSE!!! GET OUT OF HERE!"

yeah .. my dad loves the pira .. noticed an effect in just 4 days .

#14 mystery

• 117 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

yeah .. my dad loves the pira .. noticed an effect in just 4 days .

That's probably very good for him. Nootropics are most studied for various neurological conditions, including ones that might develope with age. I'll definitely be taking as much piracetam & other racetams as I can handle when I get old, but that's a long way off, and we might have super nootropics by then.

I noticed having more mental energy, but it is a smooth and subtle sort of energy. I feel more motivated, but not agitated, and can focus and concentrate a bit better. It is similar to how I react to phenylpiracetam, but maybe with more motivation and less focus improvement then phenyl.

Have you tried reducing the dose? I think I felt sleepy on a large dose of oxi the first time I took it at 400-800 mg. Now I take about 100-150 mg with good results.

Edited by mystery, 25 September 2008 - 02:44 AM.

#15 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

When I first started taking Oxiracetam I felt a bit edgy on it, but never sleepy.

Nevertheless, I stuck with taking Oxiracetam in order to give it a fair trial, and after about three weeks or so I began to notice that it seemed to enhance "out of the box" thinking, and all of the negative side effects dissipated.

At times I would be amazed with some of the creative solutions my mind would derive in response to work problems that literally used to stymie me.

I also began to notice stark improvements in my memory, and I found myself relying far less upon props such as referring back to previously written material, or personally stored knowledge databases to refresh my memory.

I found myself able to work more quickly and efficiently on building an understanding of some new complex and detailed process involving a high degree of interrelated dependencies, free of the time wasting referrals back to the memory props.

Finally, it seemed to increase my mental energies substantially, allowing me to work at near full capacity for many hours on end, and far longer than I ever could prior to taking Oxiracetam.

The best news of all is that for my part, I have not noticed any tolerance buildup to it at all. I have been using it for about 3 months now.

There is one effect that I have noticed, and someone else has already mentioned it, and that is what I will call the Spock (from Star Trek) logic effect. Sometimes ideas and concepts will come to mind seemingly void of emotion, meaning it is (apparently) easier to get to the point of the matter. This is a difficult concept to articulate. I can see a potential advantage in those cases in where emotional bias might otherwise cloud one's logical reasoning process.

One last note. I'm an older guy (57 years old), so the improvements that I have noticed with Oxi may in part be due to my declining mental faculties as part of the normal aging process.

LD

• like x 2

#16 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:38 PM

When I first started taking Oxiracetam I felt a bit edgy on it, but never sleepy.

Nevertheless, I stuck with taking Oxiracetam in order to give it a fair trial, and after about three weeks or so I began to notice that it seemed to enhance "out of the box" thinking, and all of the negative side effects dissipated.

At times I would be amazed with some of the creative solutions my mind would derive in response to work problems that literally used to stymie me.

I also began to notice stark improvements in my memory, and I found myself relying far less upon props such as referring back to previously written material, or personally stored knowledge databases to refresh my memory.

I found myself able to work more quickly and efficiently on building an understanding of some new complex and detailed process involving a high degree of interrelated dependencies, free of the time wasting referrals back to the memory props.

Finally, it seemed to increase my mental energies substantially, allowing me to work at near full capacity for many hours on end, and far longer than I ever could prior to taking Oxiracetam.

The best news of all is that for my part, I have not noticed any tolerance buildup to it at all. I have been using it for about 3 months now.

There is one effect that I have noticed, and someone else has already mentioned it, and that is what I will call the Spock (from Star Trek) logic effect. Sometimes ideas and concepts will come to mind seemingly void of emotion, meaning it is (apparently) easier to get to the point of the matter. This is a difficult concept to articulate. I can see a potential advantage in those cases in where emotional bias might otherwise cloud one's logical reasoning process.

One last note. I'm an older guy (57 years old), so the improvements that I have noticed with Oxi may in part be due to my declining mental faculties as part of the normal aging process.

LD

I am glad to hear you are having exceptional success with Oxiracetam. Your post has given me courage to give Oxiracetam another go; hopefully I will be able to get over the edgy hump and reap the benefits such as yourself! Wish me luck.

#17 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:51 AM

Yes, best of luck with it.

Prior to Nootropic supplementation, I was beginning to notice a significant memory decline, and an increase in brain fog. I had attributed that to the normal aging process, although I've always had some degree of ADD related symptoms throughout my life. To a great extent, the Nootropics have alleviated the symptoms for me. My only regret is not having had access to them at an earlier age :-)

LD

[
I am glad to hear you are having exceptional success with Oxiracetam. Your post has given me courage to give Oxiracetam another go; hopefully I will be able to get over the edgy hump and reap the benefits such as yourself! Wish me luck.

#18 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hi Conald,

thanks for this interesting post!
I really like to know more about your nootropic stack!
Can you elaborate - what do you take and how much?

Cheers Alex

Prior to Nootropic supplementation, I was beginning to notice a significant memory decline, and an increase in brain fog. I had attributed that to the normal aging process, although I've always had some degree of ADD related symptoms throughout my life. To a great extent, the Nootropics have alleviated the symptoms for me. My only regret is not having had access to them at an earlier age :-)

LD

[

#19 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

I started out experimenting with various Nootropics individually, and then in combination with other Nootropics. I eliminated those noots that either had a significant adverse impact upon me, or had no impact at all. It is possible that some of the non-impacting noots may have had a greater impact had I given them more time to work, but I decided to stick with the most effective noots for the time being. Generally speaking, if I noticed no significant advantage after taking them for 30 days or so, I abandoned them.

One thing I do on a fairly consistent basis in order to prevent "down regulation", is I cycle my stacks. I never use the same stack on the weekends that I use during my workweek. While my workdays are extremely demanding, my weekends are in comparison, relatively care free. This allows for the differential content of the stacks.The exception is that I always take a multi-vitamin pill, a good B complex pill, and a fair amount of fish oil capsules, amino acids, and a few other items tailored to my particular health situation. For example, I started noticing migraine headaches about 20 years ago, and so I take a Magnesium & Potassium optimizer to help out with that. Sometimes I'll add 7-Keto DHEA to the daily mix as well. However, when I do this, I keep the dosage low, and try to vary it as well. If I were younger I would not take this. Finally, I either eliminated or greatly reduced consumption of those noots that may have shown some promise, but nevertheless appeared to have a higher risk associated with them based upon the evidence provided within this forum. So these items included:

Pyritinol (no discernable benefit at all)

L-Huperzine A (extremely effective potentiator when combined with other noots)

Vinpocetine (minor benefit discerned)

I no longer take Pyritinol at all. I will add L-Huperzine A and Vinpocetine to my stack on those days that I anticipate to be particularly challenging. There are three primary racetams that I take for the workdays. These include Piracetam, Oxiracetam, and to a lesser extent, Aniracetim .I usually combine them in some manner during the day, and I strive to take uniquely prepared stacks 2 to 3 times per day. Each of the 2 to 3 stacks will be different in some way. The amount of sleep I have received the previous night, and the specific demands of the day will determine the number of stacks I take. Less sleep and or an anticipated tough day will usually involve 3 separate stacks rather than just 2. On weekends, the only racetam I take (if any) is Phenylpiracetam. Whenever I take a racetam, I will always combine it with Centrophenoxine, CDP Choline, or Alpha GPC.

Theoretically, everyone has their own unique U shaped curve when it comes to declining benefits beyond certain dosages. I find my U shaped curve allows for higher dosages than some folks can handle. This may in part be due to my age, and my individual chemistry. So on an aggressive workday I might take something similar to this:

First thing in the morning around 4 am:

800 mg Piracetam

800 mg Oxiracetam

500 mg ALCAR

150 mg Idebenone

300 mg ALA

250 mg CDP Choline (or comparable)

My second stack around 9 am might look something like this:

800 mg Piracetam

750 mg Aniracetam

My third stack around 12:30 pm might look something like this:

800 mg Piracetam

800 mg Oxiracetam

Sometimes, I knowingly and willingly enter into a state of over stimulation in order to keep myself at a high level of performance (e.g. be able to multi-task on a number of complex items as quickly as possible over a 9 hour time span). This is just the nature of my job. I have to pump out the work at an electrifying pace, a condition that might cause some folks to go crazy if they had to work like this over a sustained period. Over stimulation is more likely if I add L-Huperzine A (as an AchE inhibitor) into the mix. It sure sharpens the mind and keeps me moving throughout the day, but sometimes it can interfere with my sleep. On those occasions I may take a low dose of 5-HTP (50 to 100 mg) before bedtime to help me sleep. On other occasions, a little bit of Melatonin will do the trick.

I'm constantly monitoring and tweaking the things that I take. Next month might look considerably different from my average stack today. Some people might rightfully criticize the time and energy that I have invested in this program. On the other hand, it has given back to me in spades, and has allowed me to survive a difficult work environment in a nearly constant state of cost cutting.

LD

Hi Conald,

thanks for this interesting post!
I really like to know more about your nootropic stack!
Can you elaborate - what do you take and how much?

Cheers Alex

LD

[

#20 ak34

• 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

I currently have started experimenting with racetams. I have capped piracetam 300mg with ani 200mg, oxi 100mg, choline 250mg, and alcar 250mg. I read that you would need less of each with combining them. Maybe I was mistaken as to how much less b/c I felt nothing when taking one of these in the morning followed by one mid-afternoon. This morning I capped 800mg oxi, 250mg alcar, and 100mg choline. I took one this morning and one at about 11. I was feeling great on one, pretty hyper, and looking forward to handling all the tasks work was handing to me. I took the second one just to see the effects and have to say that one was probably enough. The feeling was like after the first only more intense. Now I have a slight headache, nothing too major. I wouldn't say the feeling has sub-sided, maybe has just become accepted (make sense?). So, I was the furthest thing from tired on this stuff. I have a lot of stuff on the way. I am searching for some sort of focus, mind energy mix. I hear good things about pramiracetam, but cannot find it anywhere.

#21 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

Some people report getting headaches from Nootropic supplementation, but I don't ever recall getting a headache in this manner. On the other hand, I have suffered from migraine headaches over the last couple of decades, but interesting enough, I suspect that the Nootropic supplementation has actually helped to ameliorate the condition of the migraine. Traditionally, my migraines have come on during the very early morning hours. Sometimes they will strike at 2 or 3 am, and at other times there may be a delayed onset of a few more hours. I have been taking a magnesium/potassium optimizer for a much longer period of time than I have been taking Nootropics, and while the optimizer does seem to help with quelling the severity and duration of the migraine, I have discovered that the Nootropic supplementation seems to have an even more robust quelling effect than anything else that I have ever for migraine prevention! However, on those occasions where a migraine still manages to get into full swing, I usually must rely upon Sumatriptan Succinate (Imitrex) to knock it down.

LD

#22 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Conanld,

that is an interesting and very valueable report.
Thanks!
Regarding the Huperzine A - could you elaborate on this one?
- How much (if any) Huperzine A do you take?
- What are the effects you get?
- How long does it take until you feel the effects?
- What kind of over stimulation do you get from Huperzine A?
- What are the main side effects do you get from Huperzine A?

Cheers Alex

I started out experimenting with various Nootropics individually, and then in combination with other Nootropics. I eliminated those noots that either had a significant adverse impact upon me, or had no impact at all. It is possible that some of the non-impacting noots may have had a greater impact had I given them more time to work, but I decided to stick with the most effective noots for the time being. Generally speaking, if I noticed no significant advantage after taking them for 30 days or so, I abandoned them.

Edited by chrono, 30 September 2010 - 05:45 PM.
trimmed quote

#23 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

BrotherX (Alex),

I usually take 100 mcg of Huperzine A when I resort to taking it, although I have used as much as 200 mcg per day on some occasions. I always take it with my first stack in the very early morning hours, and I never take it more than a couple times per week, if even that.

When combined with other Nootropics, I will first notice a boost in my ability to focus and concentrate within 1 to 1.5 hours. The feeling tends to build over the next several hours too, with the peak occurring around maybe 5 or 6 hours or so after ingestion. From there, the decline in effect is very gradual.

So Huperzine A appears to do two things for me. One, it increases the overall intensity of my focus, and two, it appears to extend the length of time that the other nootropics remain operational within my system. There is a third less desirable effect, and that is the roll-off can be so gradual that the wakeful state might persist into my typical sleeping period. Insomnia is the only adverse side effect that I have experienced while using Huperzine A, although the insomnia does not necessarily happen every time I take it.

LD

Conanld,

that is an interesting and very valueable report.
Thanks!
Regarding the Huperzine A - could you elaborate on this one?
- How much (if any) Huperzine A do you take?
- What are the effects you get?
- How long does it take until you feel the effects?
- What kind of over stimulation do you get from Huperzine A?
- What are the main side effects do you get from Huperzine A?

Cheers Alex

Edited by chrono, 30 September 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#24 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

LD,

very well explained. I was thinking about the use of Huperzine a - but also know about the potential dangerous which are attached to this substance - and the side effects which can appear from time to time (like insomnia).
Maybe I will give it a try - someday - but not as a substance for my basic stack.

Cheers

Alex

BrotherX (Alex),

I usually take 100 mcg of Huperzine A when I resort to taking it, although I have used as much as 200 mcg per day on some occasions. I always take it with my first stack in the very early morning hours, and I never take it more than a couple times per week, if even that.

When combined with other Nootropics, I will first notice a boost in my ability to focus and concentrate within 1 to 1.5 hours. The feeling tends to build over the next several hours too, with the peak occurring around maybe 5 or 6 hours or so after ingestion. From there, the decline in effect is very gradual.

So Huperzine A appears to do two things for me. One, it increases the overall intensity of my focus, and two, it appears to extend the length of time that the other nootropics remain operational within my system. There is a third less desirable effect, and that is the roll-off can be so gradual that the wakeful state might persist into my typical sleeping period. Insomnia is the only adverse side effect that I have experienced while using Huperzine A, although the insomnia does not necessarily happen every time I take it.

Edited by chrono, 30 September 2010 - 05:46 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#25 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

I too am concerned about the possibility of long-term cholinergic receptor down-regulation with Huperzine A.

As it is with all drugs and supplements, there is a certain risk that we all take when we consume these things. I'm willing to take a measured risk with Huperzine A, just because it has an impact upon me that is seemingly quite favorable. Nevertheless, I still try to confine myself to only occasional usage.

LD

LD,

very well explained. I was thinking about the use of Huperzine a - but also know about the potential dangerous which are attached to this substance - and the side effects which can appear from time to time (like insomnia).
Maybe I will give it a try - someday - but not as a substance for my basic stack.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by chrono, 30 September 2010 - 05:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users