Photo
- - - - -

turmeric: powder vs. capsules

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 frederickson

• 281 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

i am impressed by the research on turmeric, and use quite a bit of it in cooking. however, i have stopped cooking with it as the stuff stains the heck out of everything it comes in contact with and i have ruined several articles of clothing in the process.

under the assumption that taste is irrelevant - which it basically is for me - which would be the preferable route of intake for maximum benefit from turmeric.

1.) a teaspoon (about 5 grams) of turmeric mixed with water and quite a bit of ground black pepper (source of piperine). i just down this like a shot, it doesn't taste bad at all.

2.) a life extension brand bio curcumin capsule (800 mg) standardized to 95% curcuminoids and 5 mg bioperine

i understand that piperine greatly helps increase the absorption of the curcuminoids in turmeric, and have always combined turmeric with ground black pepper while cooking and in the "shot method" above. which is why i like the life extension product. it also seems that the research has studied intake of large amounts of turmeric, in which case it would seem you need to consume a decent amount of capsules.

does anyone know the conversion of how much turmeric powder corresponds to one standardized 95% curcumin product? and of the two methods listed above, which would provide better absorption and conceivably more benefits?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users