Photo
- - - - -

Sunscreen in eyes - is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Currently I am using a Neutrogena Ultra-sheer 55 SPF sunscreen on my face each day. Unfortunately, as the day progresses, so does the sunscreen down my face. By end of day, my eyes usually hurt and burn because the sunscreen has seeped into them. Is there a way to prevent this?

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:11 AM

Currently I am using a Neutrogena Ultra-sheer 55 SPF sunscreen on my face each day. Unfortunately, as the day progresses, so does the sunscreen down my face. By end of day, my eyes usually hurt and burn because the sunscreen has seeped into them. Is there a way to prevent this?

Ha ha! No suggestions but I hears you!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

yup same here, any suggestions on brands that don't do this would be most welcome.

#4 Lotus

• 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

Yes, I had the same problem. What you need to do is find a SS that will not burn in your eyes and use it around your eyes. Many brands have special formulations for the eye area that are less irritating. The downside is that many of them are ridiculously expensive for the amount that you get. This one worked for me: "Eye Contour Sun Sensitive spf30+" by biotherm. It works well, no burning, but I think it's expensive. I've also recently used La Roche Posay's Anthelios SPF40 cream for sun sensitive/dry skin on my eye area, and I find that it does not burn in my eyes.

#5 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

I've used that sunscreen, it does that. Also stung my eye area like crazy.

I use Aveeno now...

#6 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

The one I have the least amount of ocular irritation with is Garnier Ambre Solaire UV sensitive spf 50. But then any time you sweat excessively you will incur some degree of eye irritationfrom skin actives.

#7 miklu

• 63 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Ingredients in chemical sunscreens (e.g., the widely used avobenzone) can cause eye-irritation. Physical sunscreens should be non-irritating.

(Source: Dr. Leslie Baumann, Does Sunscreen Burn Your Eyes?)

#8 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

Ingredients in chemical sunscreens (e.g., the widely used avobenzone) can cause eye-irritation. Physical sunscreens should be non-irritating.

(Source: Dr. Leslie Baumann, Does Sunscreen Burn Your Eyes?)

It is definitely not just you, Skotkonung.  I wear contact lenses so the issue is compounded for me.  In my experience, Dr. Baumann is right; the physical blocks are much preferred in the eye area.  Right now I'm using an spf30 TiO2 cream (or creme ;) ) by Clarins:  Sun Wrinkle Control Eye Contour Care.  A bit pricey, but a little goes a long way.  The packaging states that it's Opthamologist tested - although not what the results were - and I can wear it comfortably.   

Good question.  Best, Mia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users