Photo
- - - - -

Convincing a doctor to prescribe provigil/modafinil

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vovin

• 75 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

I would like to be able to get a prescription for modafinil. I do have serios energy loss issues thoughtout the day. I am always tired and I dont sleep well at all. I want to get a doctor to prescribe me modafinil or provigil. The issue is I dont know if they will decide that another drug would be better for me or not and as I am paying for all of this out of my pocket I do not want to go thru a whole trial period. I want modafinil as the nootropic aspect will benefit me as well. I plan on going back to college and I will need it. I am 37 yrs old and self employed. What are some things I can tell to the doctor to convince him that modafinil would be the best.

#2 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

I am friends with a GP (in Canada) and he told me that Modafinal can only be prescribed for certain conditions in Canada and is closley monitored. Only paitients with MS, HIV, etc and other conditions listed by Health Canada are allowed to get an Rx from a doctor. Or he would have written me one :(

Try IAS in getting it

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:43 AM

I am friends with a GP (in Canada) and he told me that Modafinal can only be prescribed for certain conditions in Canada and is closley monitored. Only paitients with MS, HIV, etc and other conditions listed by Health Canada are allowed to get an Rx from a doctor. Or he would have written me one :(

Try IAS in getting it

Wow. Who can afford Modafinil without a prescription + prescription plan? I've heard reports that Adrafinil has about the same effects, save that you must wait about an hour for it to "kick in." As far as I know it is legal without a script as well. Anyone have experience with this, or know any reasons to pay $139 for modafinil instead of $29 for Adrafinil?

#4 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:29 AM

Try IAS in getting it

Wow. Who can afford Modafinil without a prescription + prescription plan? I've heard reports that Adrafinil has about the same effects, save that you must wait about an hour for it to "kick in." As far as I know it is legal without a script as well. Anyone have experience with this, or know any reasons to pay $139 for modafinil instead of $29 for Adrafinil?

Adrafinal is also VERY hard on the liver

#5 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

Try IAS in getting it

So the reason is "Modafinil screws with your liver less." That's sound (and worth my extra $100, should I need to try a Eugeroic). Did you have any articles on the relative liver toxicity Modafinil vs Adrafinil vs Amphetamines vs other likely candidates? I'm curious just how much harder on the liver it is, especially in comparison to amphetamines, et al.

#6 vovin

• Topic Starter
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:03 AM

Try IAS in getting it

I am in the USA btw. I would rather just pay the price and know what I am getting plus not have to wait 2 weeks to a month to get the medications. I know provigil itself costs around 7-8 dollars a pill but I wont be taking them every single day plus with a prescription I dont have to worry about legal hassles. 10 dollars a day or less is well worth it if it can make me more productive. I make good money when I work so getting a extra hours worth of work would pay for 10 days of medication.

#7 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

I don't know how good this advice may or may not be, but you could try telling your doctor that you currently get modafinil shipped from overseas and find it so effective for your health issues and is relatively light on side effects. Then run the idea of getting it prescribed through him/her so you can avoid the risks associated with ordering overseas meds. I'd think that the doctor - permitting they didn't find anything alarming with your personal health/mental state - would believe that you would just go and get it illicitly anyway, so would be more receptive to prescribing it to you. As long as you can demonstrate that you do have bona-fide conditions that in the US, modafinil is prescribed for, then I don't see too much of a problem.

I only offer this because this approach basically worked for me with Lunesta one time.

#8 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

As long as you can demonstrate that you do have bona-fide conditions that in the US, modafinil is prescribed for, then I don't see too much of a problem.

If he/she could demonstrate that they have a bona-fide condition for which modafinil is prescribed, he/she would not be asking us what to tell the doctor when trying to acquire it.

Personally, I've been able to get any prescription nootropics I need via an attention deficit diagnosis. But @ Vovin, if you're frequently fatigued during the day, I strongly recommend you look at your diet, sleep, or any underlying conditions which might cause fatigue, because in my experience modafanil and amphetamines only mask these problems, which will continue to eat away at your health.
  • like x 1

#9 vovin

• Topic Starter
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

As long as you can demonstrate that you do have bona-fide conditions that in the US, modafinil is prescribed for, then I don't see too much of a problem.

If he/she could demonstrate that they have a bona-fide condition for which modafinil is prescribed, he/she would not be asking us what to tell the doctor when trying to acquire it.

Personally, I've been able to get any prescription nootropics I need via an attention deficit diagnosis. But @ Vovin, if you're frequently fatigued during the day, I strongly recommend you look at your diet, sleep, or any underlying conditions which might cause fatigue, because in my experience modafanil and amphetamines only mask these problems, which will continue to eat away at your health.

I eat extremely and I do mean extremely healthy. I do not eat processed foods I havent eaten at a fast food join in prolly 3 months aI do not drink sodas I drink water everyday. I exercise for 45mins-1 hour a day. I am in peak physical condition. If I werent I would be far worse than I am energywise. I dont sleep basically. My mind is so active I cant get to sleep and while I am asleep I am still thinking.

#10 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:54 AM

I don't think a doctor will hear that disclosure and think it wise to prescribe a stimulant with a long half-life.

#11 lyosha

• 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:00 AM

I would like to be able to get a prescription for modafinil. I do have serios energy loss issues thoughtout the day. I am always tired and I dont sleep well at all. I want to get a doctor to prescribe me modafinil or provigil. The issue is I dont know if they will decide that another drug would be better for me or not and as I am paying for all of this out of my pocket I do not want to go thru a whole trial period. I want modafinil as the nootropic aspect will benefit me as well. I plan on going back to college and I will need it. I am 37 yrs old and self employed. What are some things I can tell to the doctor to convince him that modafinil would be the best.

you lie... say that you work day-night shifts, and usually on-call during night. need to be alert no matter whether it's day or night.
ethical - no. but neither are pharmaceutical companies.

however, there are much better options than modafinil. i think a lot of people would agree with me on this one.

#12 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

Try IAS in getting it

evidence?

#13 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

I eat extremely and I do mean extremely healthy. I do not eat processed foods I havent eaten at a fast food join in prolly 3 months aI do not drink sodas I drink water everyday. I exercise for 45mins-1 hour a day. I am in peak physical condition. If I werent I would be far worse than I am energywise. I dont sleep basically. My mind is so active I cant get to sleep and while I am asleep I am still thinking.

So you want to take a stimulant because you have a sleep disorder. That makes about as much sense as using cortisone because you have the measles.

Edited by andre, 20 February 2009 - 03:37 PM.

#14 vovin

• Topic Starter
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

So you want to take a stimulant because you have a sleep disorder. That makes about as much sense as using cortisone because you have the measles.

I guess this is a little over your head. FYI provigil is prescribed for a variety of sleep disorders.

From wikipedia:
Modafinil is a stimulant drug manufactured by Cephalon, and is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder,[1] and excessive daytime sleepiness associated with obstructive sleep apnea.[2]

#15 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

I guess this is a little over your head. FYI provigil is prescribed for a variety of sleep disorders.

From wikipedia:
Modafinil is a stimulant drug manufactured by Cephalon, and is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder,[1] and excessive daytime sleepiness associated with obstructive sleep apnea.[2]

Oh really. So which of the three do you have?

Also, note that for example "in patients with OSA, PROVIGIL is used only along with other medical treatments for this sleep disorder. PROVIGIL is not a replacement for your current treatment. Consult your doctor about the importance of continuing your current OSA treatment while taking PROVIGIL"

Edited by andre, 20 February 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#16 SmartDrugs Mexico

• 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Try IAS in getting it

I am in the USA btw. I would rather just pay the price and know what I am getting plus not have to wait 2 weeks to a month to get the medications. I know provigil itself costs around 7-8 dollars a pill but I wont be taking them every single day plus with a prescription I dont have to worry about legal hassles. 10 dollars a day or less is well worth it if it can make me more productive. I make good money when I work so getting a extra hours worth of work would pay for 10 days of medication.

I am a computer programer and take modafinil on a on an off basis, mostly "on".
I have only good things to say about modafinil, it lifts my mood, my concentration and focus is 100 percent and like Dave Asprey says For me "the benefits far outweigh the risks." btw, im from Mexico and you can purchas here brand name, the real thing without a prescription. If you need more info PM me.Attached File  modafinil.jpg   39.93KB   12 downloads

#17 Deep Thought

• 224 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Off-topic: You can buy modafinil from Qhi.Co.Uk.

If you live outside of Europe, alldaychemist may be a better option.

I received my package containing deprenyl 14 days after I placed my order.
Modafinil is more of a wakefulness promoting agent, than a motivation boosting one.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 reichert

• 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

I want to share my story. Provigil (Modafinil) is literally a life changer. Modafinil gives you the high level of focus without ANY side effects... no anxiety, no depression, no euphoria and minimal weight loss. It has improved my life to the point that my friends and family members have been commenting on how great I sound. I just wanted to share my experience (never have before, but I felt compelled to because this is an emotional topic for me) in case you're nervous about giving it a shot. I bought it online and never had a prob.
provigil.jpg
  • Good Point x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users