- - - - -

My Response to First Dose of Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dumbdumb

• 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hi,

I got some Wellbutrin/Bupropion and gave it a try today. I'd like to know if, based upon my reaction to it, you think it would be worthwhile for me to continue taking it.

I am 5'6" and 210 pounds.

I took 150mg of Bupropion SR today, along with a few cups of black tea, on an otherwise empty stomach (having last eaten at 5 AM.) I probably should've just had plain water so that I could isolate its effects from caffeine. From previous days drinking large quantities of tea however (I do this as many days of the week as I can manage) I would say that the tea accounted for very little of the effects I will now describe, and only for about an hour after drinking at that.

In any case, taking the Wellbutrin seemed to lead to a period of increased drive and wakefulness totaling roughly three hours and beginning about an hour after dosing. I was hoping that it would impart some of the "hypervigilance" like I had the first few times I took Sulbutiamine, but it didn't.

It helped keep my mind from wandering, but it did not increase the extent or intensity of my focus specifically. It did seem to "slow time" a little though, so that I got slightly more done in a half hour than I would've expected myself too. It didn't feel remotely "speedy"; I think I get more raw energy from sulbutiamine, chocamine, ALCAR, DL-Phenylalanine and 'racetams (taken all at once.)

Minimal mood uplift. Linguistic abilities/faults unaffected, as is the case with motor skills. I dosed at about 1 PM; it is almost 8 PM now and I don't feel very much affected anymore. I normally have a nuisance of an appetite, though, always feeling as if I need a snack to pick me up, but the Wellbutrin seems to have tamed that urge by about 70 percent.

My initial inclination is that Wellbutrin at this dosage is not cost-effective in comparison to other supplements that I have tried, but I don't know whether its effects will increase were I to continue taking it on a daily or bi-daily schedule.

Thanks for reading, bye. :p

EDIT: A few quick additions:

In contradiction to one of its approved prescriptions, it has actually increased my desire to smoke/absorb nicotine. I have not yet succumbed to the urge so I do not know whether the effects would be the same.
I also forgot to mention that I had about 400mg (active) Alpha GPC at the same time as the Wellbutrin since I have read that it inhibits acetylcholine.
Finally, one extra question: can my response to Wellbutrin be indicative to the response I would have to other supplements/nootropics/prescription drugs, so as to lend some direction to the course of my future and further experiences?

Edited by dumbdumb, 07 April 2009 - 12:23 AM.

#2 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

"It helped keep my mind from wandering, but it did not increase the extent or intensity of my focus specifically. It did seem to "slow time" a little though, so that I got slightly more done in a half hour than I would've expected myself too."

If that's not attention, what is? That's basically the definition. You aren't supposed to feel 'speedy' or hypervigilant. That is a peripheral nervous system effect - ie a negative side effect. Feelig like that is not actually helping you do anything.

You won't get a huge boost to attention, and it's ridiculous to think you will get a big boost in mood from instant use of an antidepressant. You will get some more energy that lasts longer, but it will not be transient like some of the supplements you can take, which basically are completely useless unless you need an hour of 'energy'. 300 mg is usually more effective, and you can go up to 600 if necessary.

Edited by bgwithadd, 07 April 2009 - 05:36 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 alexd

• 106 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Why are you taking wellbutrin? It is not a "smart drug" so why are you applying that type of criteria? If you start increasing the dose make sure your blood pressure is acceptable. It does provide a boost to the effects of Provigil. Also as mentioned prev. you have not given it enough time to properly asses it's effects upon you. Also if you are using it as an antidepressant you might look into a dug called Deplin which in some cases helps people who have limited responses to antidepressants. It is the final form that the body converts folic acid into and goes right to the brain.

"It helped keep my mind from wandering, but it did not increase the extent or intensity of my focus specifically. It did seem to "slow time" a little though, so that I got slightly more done in a half hour than I would've expected myself too."

If that's not attention, what is? That's basically the definition. You aren't supposed to feel 'speedy' or hypervigilant. That is a peripheral nervous system effect - ie a negative side effect. Feelig like that is not actually helping you do anything.

You won't get a huge boost to attention, and it's ridiculous to think you will get a big boost in mood from instant use of an antidepressant. You will get some more energy that lasts longer, but it will not be transient like some of the supplements you can take, which basically are completely useless unless you need an hour of 'energy'. 300 mg is usually more effective, and you can go up to 600 if necessary.

#4 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Seizure risk is very high at 600mg (increases at an exponential rate at doses over 300mg). I've never seen a dose that high recommended anywhere.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 07 April 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#5 dumbdumb

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hi,

I appreciate the advice you guys have graciously given but I think I need to make it clear that I wasn't trying to complain about Wellbutrin, I was just trying to be thorough in my report on how it affected me. So no need to get frazzled at me. I'm not saying I'm totally disappointed it, just that I didn't know what it would really do before I gave it a shot and I didn't know if my reactions were typical.
I don't have access to your usual nootropics (Adderall, Ritalin, Provigil) so I was trying Wellbutrin as an accessible alternative. I'm sorry if the nootropics section isn't the right place to post about it but I have seen it discussed here before.
I was trying it to satisfy my curiosity and to see if it could help me with daytime fatigue. And I didn't know whether its effects would increase with daily use or whether they would lessen (homeostasis.)

Thanks again...

Edited by dumbdumb, 07 April 2009 - 08:30 PM.

#6 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

For the record, the "nootropics" you mentioned are really drugs designed to treat ADD and promote alertness. This is not the same thing as a true nootropic, whose purpose is not to stimulate but to potentiate and enhance. The other thing you should know is that antidepressants take several weeks to several months to kick in, and the principle effect is not directly related to their monoaminergic activation, which is what accounts for their more instantaneous effects. To be truthful saying anything about an antidepressant on its first dose, shy of perhaps an intravenous tricyclic pulse dose, is irrelevant and probably counterproductive.

#7 Lurker

• 87 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

Bupropion (Welbutrin) can be considered a Nootropic: it's a Dopamine uptake inhibitor and nicotine antagonist. In addition, it has "stimulating properties." The term Nootropic is a broad term.

#8 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

It also has anticholinergic side effects, which is decidedly un-noot. Besides, I'm not sure whether you've ever actually taken the stuff but it really doesn't help much in the thinking department (granted that's anecdotal, but others have reported similarly). The NT levels are altered pretty quickly, but the desired effect takes a long time. This is why I have a problem with reporting this stuff: rt would be like describing the effects of chemo as being primarily nauseating.

#9 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

@dumbdumb - it all depends what you are taking it for, I guess.

Risk of seizure is kind of overstated. The original starting dose was 600mg and 1.9% seizures were reported (the norm is about 1.1%). With prozac it's something like 1.3%. Interestingly, at lower doses it actually makes for fewer seizures on average than the norm.

You should have no trouble if you work up to that dose and stop if you get any adverse reactions. If you don't have the tendency to seizures it's not a big worry.

As for being anticholinergic, studies show that it doesn't have any negative impact on average, and people treated with wellbutrin score higher on tests than people treated with SSRIs or tricyclics.

#10 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

It also has anticholinergic side effects, which is decidedly un-noot.

In all cases, or is it a "rare" side effect, like most are in medications (almost always below 10% of patients)?
This is sad news as I've ordered some and wish to try it as an alternative to Ritalin. Ritalin works perfectly for me (taken mainly for hyposomnia but has a wonderful effect on concentration and motivation), but it is EXTREMELY short lasting with me (even the 54mg Concerta), and it boosts my libido like crazy which kind of interrupts my workflow. It is also very expensive.
I want to try it with Prozac (which I'm now back on because of some anxiety and mild depression) and a low dose of Modafinil to complement the regimen (also a good stuff, but is expensive for the doses I need, and also short lived in my case).

Note that I also take Huperzine-A semi-daily. Might that help with the anticholinergic effect of Wellbutrin? Is it even recommended to take both?

#11 dumbdumb

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:39 AM

So something like Piracetam would be considered a "true nootropic" while Wellbutrin might only arguably be considered one?
I'm sorry to have wasted space on the forum if it really was useless. I've done a lot of reading here on the forum, but I still don't really know how to get what I'm after, or even what to make of some of the results I get.
I guess I'm just stuck; I don't know what to try next.

Thanks to everyone who's written, though.

#12 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 AM

Welbutrin can cause suicidal thoughts..

#13 dumbdumb

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:00 AM

So does getting dragged to a performance of, "The Vagina Monologues."

#14 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

So does getting dragged to a performance of, "The Vagina Monologues."

Yeah, I've never bought the "suicidal thoughts" or "increased suicidal tendencies" side effect.
First of all, most of the drugs to which such a side effect is claims are drugs treating depression and/or anxiety. So the most you can say about them is that they're not very good at that. It's like saying that a heart medication causes heart attacks. Wasn't the patient prone to heart attacks in the first place?

The most I'm willing to consider is that these drugs might aggravate depression/anxiety.

In any case, I've never heard of an anticholinergic side effect. Anyone?

#15 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

There are studies, though primarily pertaining to Prozac in the pediatric and adolescent population, that indicate these drugs lead to increased risk of suicidal ideation and behavior relative to placebo. If you properly understand psychiatry you should realize that although severe major depression can lead to suicidality, depression /= suicidal. Most commonly the patient has to have feelings of complete hopelessness to become suicidal.
Mind you there are also heart medications that can exacerbate the risks of heart attack under certain circumstances, such as Plavix and statins under the wrong conditions.
Of course, anticholinergic or not, suicidal or not, nootropic or not, these matters are all irrelevant. These were just as asides to my principle statement which is this: these drugs take time to kick in! Stop writing about them after the first dose, it says nothing about its intended use.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 dumbdumb

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

Stop writing about them after the first dose, it says nothing about its intended use.

Like I said: I get it. I wasn't aware that Wellbutrin worked that way; since things like Sulbutiamine and other supplements effected me pretty quickly, I thought that there was some value to initial reactions.
I don't want to continue taking Wellbutrin until:
1) I re-read the threads in which people have said it's worthwhile to take for nootropic effect
2) I get a prescription, since I don't want to end up running out, as I've read that can be bad for one's mental wellbeing.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who replied. Bye.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users