Photo
- - - - -

Best Supplements to take at night

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

What can be taken at night without interfering with the body's natural processes during sleep? I'm thinking about taking a 500 mg Time release Vitamin C capsule. My concern though is about absorption; all the supplements I purchase recommend taking them with a meal though they use the word preferably which implies that it isn’t necessary? (my preferred brands are Source naturals and Carlson laboratories). Anyone know if the body can absorb them just as well without any food? If not what could I eat at night without it affecting my body’s processes? I used to eat cereal at night but I was informed it affected my glycation (is there anything better?)

#2 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

At night I go for:

Time release Vitamin C - 1000mg
Time release Melatonin - 6mg
Na-RALA - 300mg - 600mg
Probiotic
NAC
Milk Thistle

And then a little later:
ALCAR / ALCAR Arginate - 1200mg - 1800mg

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

1200 mg ALCAR right before bed? I would be up all night!

I don't think absorption is a big issue with anything other than fat soluble supplements, but you might want to do more research.

#4 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

At night I go for:

Time release Vitamin C - 1000mg
Time release Melatonin - 6mg
Na-RALA - 300mg - 600mg
Probiotic
NAC
Milk Thistle

And then a little later:
ALCAR / ALCAR Arginate - 1200mg - 1800mg

I've tried Na-RALA and ALCAR once before bed time and that stuff really gets me so wired that I had to get up because I could not sleep a wink.

Edited by pycnogenol, 12 April 2009 - 02:35 PM.

#5 HOTCells

• 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

At night I take
1 gram Curcumin
250 mgs of resveratrol w/ polysorbate 80 (yum)
500 mgs Grape seed
and 2.5 mgs Melatonin and maybe a dash or two of cannabis. I sleep like a baby and feel healthy in the morning.

#6 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

I take L-arginine, L-ornithine, L-lysine, GABA, ashwagandha, and B-complex with my night stack. I take GABA for GH release - not relaxation.

#7 gattaca

• 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

Taurine and Niacinamide. Two pleasant, gentle soporifics.

#8 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

At bedtime I take:

400mg Magnesium
1.625g Taurine
3g Glycine
50mg 5-HTP Time Release
225mg Sensoril Ashwagandha
15mg Zinc / 1mg Copper (Jarrow Zinc Balance)
and several probiotics

#9 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Melatonin, 300 micrograms [Life Extension brand immediate release] (yes, low-strength taken nightly about 2 hours prior to bedtime)
5-HTP, 50 milligrams [Now Foods brand] (as needed basis, not nightly and not with melatonin)

Edited by pycnogenol, 13 April 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#10 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

The recommendation to take probiotics before sleep is not uncommon. However, I don't understand the reasoning behind it. I get the empty stomach aspect, but for that to be effective I assume a vertical position would be more effective for the stuff to be able to pass the stomach quickly. I take probiotics first thing in the morning.

#11 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

FunkOdyssey takes a lot of antibiotics throughout the day that might work at cross-purposes with a simultaneously dosed probiotic.

#12 bryce126

• 33 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

At bedtime I take:

400mg Magnesium
1.625g Taurine
3g Glycine
50mg 5-HTP Time Release
225mg Sensoril Ashwagandha
15mg Zinc / 1mg Copper (Jarrow Zinc Balance)
and several probiotics

mind sharing which probiotics you take, or actually your regimen? (you can PM me this if you like)

#13 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=26986

#14 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

Calcium is also absorbed better in the evening I did not see it on others lists

What can be taken at night without interfering with the body's natural processes during sleep? I'm thinking about taking a 500 mg Time release Vitamin C capsule. My concern though is about absorption; all the supplements I purchase recommend taking them with a meal though they use the word preferably which implies that it isn’t necessary? (my preferred brands are Source naturals and Carlson laboratories). Anyone know if the body can absorb them just as well without any food? If not what could I eat at night without it affecting my body’s processes? I used to eat cereal at night but I was informed it affected my glycation (is there anything better?)

#15 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

Calcium is also absorbed better in the evening I did not see it on others lists

But Calcium is better suited for women, right?

#16 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

But Calcium is better suited for women, right?

lol, iron is best suited for pre-menopausal women, I suppose, but calcium is best suited for anyone who gets insufficient calcium from diet. If you get enough from food, don't take a calcium supplement.

#17 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:08 AM

Users reports vary, but I have found that Ashwagandha taken about 1 hour before bed makes me sleep more deeply and efficiently.

http://www.thorne.co...omnifera9-2.pdf
"The withanolides serve as important hormone precursors that can convert into human physiologic hormones as needed. Ashwagandha is thought to be amphoteric; i.e., it can help regulate important physiologic processes. The theory is that when there is an excess of a certain hormone, the plant-based hormone precursor occupies cell membrane receptor sites so the actual hormone cannot attach and exert its effect. If the hormone level is low, the plant-based hormone exerts a small effect. Ashwagandha is also considered to be an adaptogen, facilitating the ability to withstand stressors, and has antioxidant properties as well. Other studies have shown ashwaganda to have an immunostimulatory effect."

In light of this, I believe Ashwagandha might actually help the body achieve a more optimal sleep state through hormonal regulation and reduction of stress.

I am going to experiment with taking Ashwagandha at different times before bed to see if changing that variable has a noticeable or practical effect on some sleep parameters like induction, depth, length, efficiency, etc.

Edited by czukles, 23 April 2009 - 04:09 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 celica46

• 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Gammalate B6 works great at bedtime

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users