* * * * - 1 votes

Best supplements for plaque reduction in arteries

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jiggy

• 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hi there

Wanting to take preventative action by finding supplements that could possible reduce or assist in eliminating
plaque build up in arteries I have read that Vitamin k and promengrate supplements may be the best products
to use.

If anyone can concur with this or add their expertise it would be much appreciated. Any other supplements worth giving
consideration to would be much appreciated.

In terms of dosage for the above supplements where would you think would be optimum levels

Thanks in advance

#2 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

Vitamin K2.

Fish Oil has been shown to increase arterial wall elasticity which might help.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Pomegranate.

http://www.newswise....es/view/513938/

Newswise — The pomegranate is a large, seedy red fruit, slightly larger than an orange. Centuries ago the fruit was grown on shrubs and small trees in southwestern Asia; over time it came to be cultivated by the growers of California.
* Pomegranate Juice and Cardiovascular Health
Five studies demonstrating a beneficial effect of pomegranate juice on cardiovascular health have recently been published in a number of scientific journals. These studies concluded that pomegranate juice:

1. significantly increased levels of nitric oxide;
2. reduced arterial plaque by 30 percent
3. inhibited ACE by 36 percent and reduced systolic blood pressure;
4. reduced expected plaque build up in mice by 44 percent; and
5. reduced expected plaque build-up by 17 percent in advanced atherolsclerosis.

* Pomegranate Juice: Neonatal Benefits
Traumatic births, such as those where the umbilical cord is wrapped around the neck, can cause a lack of oxygen to the baby’s brain, and result in minimal to extensive brain damage and disability. Free radicals play a large role in causing this damage. Since antioxidants neutralize free radicals, POM Wonderful researchers examined whether the high levels of polyphenol antioxidants found in pomegranate juice could help protect against brain damage to babies undergoing traumatic birth. In a study published earlier this year in Pediatric Research, the investigators found that supplementing the mother with pomegranate juice was neuroprotective for the neonatal brain.

Conclusion
Pomegranates have been consumed by man since before recorded history. We are now beginning to understand how beneficial this product’s juice may be to human health.

Edited by lynx, 11 June 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#4 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

Vitamin E.

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

K2 is awesome.

Vitamin K2(MK4) has been shown to reverse atherosclerosis in rabbits.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9414028

Effects of the Blood Coagulation Vitamin K as an Inhibitor of Arterial Calcification

...These findings suggest that MK4 acts as an anti-calcification component in the vessel wall.

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=2529147

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

k2, pomegranate.

#7 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

R-ALA.

#8 adamh

• 1,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

Tumeric or curcumin.

#9 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• 238 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

lycopene

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8076556.stm

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:40 PM

IP6 is known to chelate Iron which is necessary for biofilm formation.
Atherosclerotic plaque is a biofilm.

You should check your Ferretin level if you can, low-normal is best.

#11 jiggy

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

Many thanks for all replies

#12 kellibear

• 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

serrapeptase and nattokinase are the best, imo. the others mentioned are good too. i also use an oral chelation cap from wonderlabs--it's cheap!

#13 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:53 AM

serrapeptase and nattokinase are the best, imo. the others mentioned are good too.

I've had some nasal/throat congestion because of serrapeptase. Be careful.

#14 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

What about that:

http://supplements.r...Count2=76758980

They claim to have very good results too.

It's about Vitamin C, L-Lysine and L-Proline. The vit C is supposed to heal your arteries injuries (the real culprit about plaques according to Linus Pauling) and L-Lysine and l-Proline bind to the plaque and remove it.

But thanks for this thread I didn't know about K2 and Pomegranate.

Edited by outsider, 15 June 2009 - 02:08 AM.

• like x 1

#15 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:05 AM

Pomegranate - just drink the organic juice? Is that the best way to "take" it? (I haven't had juice in ten years - I eat a little fruit though.) How much or how little?

#16 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:27 AM

http://supplements.r...Count2=76758980

Linking to RI doesn't work at all, unfortunately.

#17 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:45 AM

Ok it's called "TLC 3.0 Buffered Powder" at RI and there is a lot if information about the product and its efficacy.

#18 alexd

• 106 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:49 AM

In an Israeli experiment 65 year old men achieved 31% improvement in arterial width (they already had buildup) in the carotid artery by drinking one cup a day. Google pomwonderful their website has laymen and health practitioner info.Their products are excellent although pricey. I buy mine from a warehouse club and save a lot.
the name of the company is POM.

Due to the smaller size of blood vessels in the penis a man can tell if there has been an improvement if their erections become firmer.

#19 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

K2 is awesome.

Vitamin K2(MK4) has been shown to reverse atherosclerosis in rabbits.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9414028

Effects of the Blood Coagulation Vitamin K as an Inhibitor of Arterial Calcification

...These findings suggest that MK4 acts as an anti-calcification component in the vessel wall.

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=2529147

Are you confusing athersclerosis with arteriosclerosis? I thought the former was fatty deposit build up and the other calcification, which I believe K2 is good for?

Question to all, is and why is K2 in it MK& form as good as MK4 for the circulatory system?

R-ALA.

Any evidence for this?

Oh and to the OP...I think kyolic aged garlic extract looks promising for atherosclerosis.

Edited by shaggy, 15 June 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#20 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

Are you confusing athersclerosis with arteriosclerosis? I thought the former was fatty deposit build up and the other calcification, which I believe K2 is good for?

Question to all, is and why is K2 in it MK& form as good as MK4 for the circulatory system?

Here's the exact title of the Journal article. Did you actually click through ?

Effects of vitamin K2 (menatetrenone) on atherosclerosis and blood coagulation in hypercholesterolemic rabbits.

MK4 is the form of K2 which our bodies manufacture.
MK7 has a long half life in the body, but it's not known whether it performs all the functions of MK4.

Notably, we haven't seen any reports of dental plaque reduction using MK7.
Possibly because MK7 is comparatively expensive.
Also, there generally doesn't seem to be as much research involving MK7.

All in all, people here are divided with respect to K2.

#21 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

Here's the exact title of the Journal article. Did you actually click through ?

Effects of vitamin K2 (menatetrenone) on atherosclerosis and blood coagulation in hypercholesterolemic rabbits.

MK4 is the form of K2 which our bodies manufacture.
MK7 has a long half life in the body, but it's not known whether it performs all the functions of MK4.

Notably, we haven't seen any reports of dental plaque reduction using MK7.
Possibly because MK7 is comparatively expensive.
Also, there generally doesn't seem to be as much research involving MK7.

All in all, people here are divided with respect to K2.

Thanks for the reply....

I did note the rabbit study, but I'm more cautious when expecting this to replicate itself in humans. From the research papers I've seen it looks promising for the reduction of calification of the arteries in humans, nothing so far suggests that it reduces furring of the arteries that I've read, which isn't a great deal I agree, that's why I queried your comments.

Shame we don't have a more definitive answer on MK7, as that's the form I currently take... :-)

#22 Maven

• 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

I've had some nasal/throat congestion because of serrapeptase. Be careful.

Sounds like you are allergic to it. It is derived from a fungus, so highly allergic people may react. I've read quite a bit about serrapeptase lately for a health condition I'm dealing with, and there are no warnings like that except for possible allergies. Allergies cause the body to pour out all sorts of inflammatory substances, so no matter how healthy something is to those not allergic, if you are allergic to anything, even a little, avoid it and find an alternative. Side note: my sister is allergic to pomegranate. Ya never know.

Lots more people are allergic to bromelain than to serrapeptase and the two are often combined in supplements. If you were taking a combined formula, you may want to (carefully!) find out which you were reacting to.

Edited by Maven, 22 July 2009 - 09:13 PM.

#23 Maven

• 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

The results I've seen from nattokinase blow all the rest out of the water. The other recommendations are healthy, too, but for pure vascular clearing, I don't think nattokinase has a real rival. It is said to enzymatically break down inflammatory biochemicals, and inflammation is a major cause of plaque build-up. They don't recommend going beyond 3000FU's /day under any circumstances, and that only for less than a month. The highest longterm dose I've seen is 2000FU/day broken into 2 or 3 doses. The stuff is a major blood-thinner, so it is possible to OD w/ disastrous results.

#24 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

Bromelain tablets actually irritate my throat a bit going down.
I think I have a stronger reaction to it than Serrapeptase.
Still not totally sure I'm allergic to Serrapeptase ....

That's why nattokinase in natto comes with K2.
K2 should help with the clotting.

#25 meat250

• 66 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

CARNOSINE

#26 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

The results I've seen from nattokinase blow all the rest out of the water. The other recommendations are healthy, too, but for pure vascular clearing, I don't think nattokinase has a real rival. It is said to enzymatically break down inflammatory biochemicals, and inflammation is a major cause of plaque build-up. They don't recommend going beyond 3000FU's /day under any circumstances, and that only for less than a month. The highest longterm dose I've seen is 2000FU/day broken into 2 or 3 doses. The stuff is a major blood-thinner, so it is possible to OD w/ disastrous results.

How do you know natto "blows" all the rest out of the water? Also, what kind do you use? Thanks!

#27 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

Heard of arjuna? Excerpt from Dr. Sahelian's site:

Arjuna has been tested in patients with angina. Arjuna dilates blood vessels, even in cigarette smokers.
Arjunolic acid, a new triterpene and a potent extract from the bark of Terminalia arjuna, has been shown to provide significant cardiac protection in myocardial necrosis in rats. Arjunolic acid treatment prevents the decrease in the levels of powerful antioxidants such as superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione, alpha-tocopherol, and ascorbic acid.

Additional actions of arjuna herb
Arjuna has compounds that protect against DNA damage from toxins.
Compounds in Arjuna may help maintain healthy cholesterol.
A substance in Arjuna, casuarinin, inhibits breast cancer cell growth in laboratory studies.

#28 alexd

• 106 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Go to the "POM" (a maker of pomegranate juice and read their medical area.

EXERCISE!

NAC reduces homo cysteine.

#29 stayin_alive

• 84 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

Metformin

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 aaCharley

• 79 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

There are studies which indicate that the general American human condition of plaque in arteries is a response to general inflamation and the insulin response. Following on that are studies that indicate that the general diet of high Omega-6 vs. Omega-3 results in a general body inflamation. Increasing the Omega-3 with high EPA/DHA fish oil can improve that situation. Some studies have indicated that very high levels of the Omega-3 might reverse the build up. Look for at least 60% Omega-3 in the product. There should be little risk from taking fish oil.

Recent studies seem to show some benefit from tumeric in the diet in clearing up plaque in the brain. It has lots of components that may interact. With the history of a whole continent taking the ingredient without problem, there should be little risk for adding that as a supplement.

Both are inexpensive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users