Photo
- - - - -

trehalose

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:35 AM

does anyone know (off the top of their head ) whether or not trehalose actually works in vivo in humans or is it just broken up into glucose in the gut and is useless?

just been going over my autophagy notes since this rapamycin news...

thx in advance.

#2 waldemar

• 206 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

If it didn't, I'd eat that stuff like the candy it is. ;-)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

does anyone know (off the top of their head ) whether or not trehalose actually works in vivo in humans or is it just broken up into glucose in the gut and is useless?

just been going over my autophagy notes since this rapamycin news...

thx in advance.

Trehalose: a review of properties, history of use and human tolerance, and results of multiple safety studies.

Richards AB, Krakowka S, Dexter LB, Schmid H, Wolterbeek AP, Waalkens-Berendsen DH, Shigoyuki A, Kurimoto M.
Hayashibara International Inc., 8670 Wolff Court, Suite 200, Westminster, CO 80031, USA.
This paper contains a review of the history, natural occurrence, human consumption, metabolism, manufacture, and the results of eight standardized animal safety studies using trehalose. Trehalose (alpha,alpha-trehalose) is a naturally occurring sugar containing two D-glucose units in an alpha,alpha-1,1 linkage. Trehalose functions in many organisms as an energy source or a protectant against the effects of freezing or dehydration. It also possesses physical and/or chemical properties that are different than other sugars, which may make trehalose an attractive ingredient in food, health and beauty and pharmaceutical products. Data are presented supporting safe human consumption of trehalose in doses up to 50 g, and the physiologic ability of humans to digest it. No consistent treatment-related, dose-dependent adverse effects were observed in any of the eight safety studies performed at doses up to 10% of the diets. On the basis of these toxicity studies, human studies in which doses of trehalose were administered to various populations, and consumption of trehalose in commercial products in Japan, it is concluded that trehalose is safe for use as an ingredient in consumer products when used in accordance with current Good Manufacturing Practices.
PMID: 12065209 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Can anyone get this paper? (Apparently its found in Japanese products, maybe that's why they are so healthy).

Since trehalose is a dissacharide won't like 1 percent of it be absorbed? (remember reading that a small amount dissacharides will pass through the gut by passive diffusion)

Also it seems that in rats oral administration can have an effect on the brain. I think I may try and get some.

Trehalose alleviates polyglutamine-mediated pathology in a mouse model of Huntington disease.

Tanaka M, Machida Y, Niu S, Ikeda T, Jana NR, Doi H, Kurosawa M, Nekooki M, Nukina N.
Laboratory for Structural Neuropathology, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2-1 Hirosawa, Wako City, Saitama 351-0198, Japan.
Inhibition of polyglutamine-induced protein aggregation could provide treatment options for polyglutamine diseases such as Huntington disease. Here we showed through in vitro screening studies that various disaccharides can inhibit polyglutamine-mediated protein aggregation. We also found that various disaccharides reduced polyglutamine aggregates and increased survival in a cellular model of Huntington disease. Oral administration of trehalose, the most effective of these disaccharides, decreased polyglutamine aggregates in cerebrum and liver, improved motor dysfunction and extended lifespan in a transgenic mouse model of Huntington disease. We suggest that these beneficial effects are the result of trehalose binding to expanded polyglutamines and stabilizing the partially unfolded polyglutamine-containing protein. Lack of toxicity and high solubility, coupled with efficacy upon oral administration, make trehalose promising as a therapeutic drug or lead compound for the treatment of polyglutamine diseases. The saccharide-polyglutamine interaction identified here thus provides a new therapeutic strategy for polyglutamine diseases.
PMID: 14730359 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Edited by Sillewater, 11 July 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#4 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

it's supposedly viable against aggregates from both huntington and parkinsons disease; probably also against alzheimers and ALS. i'm aware of the mouse studies, i just wasn't sure whether or not the human GI tract would respond in the same way a mouse would.

maybe the effect is most pronounced through sublingual absorption ? maybe we should be looking for trehalose lonzenges/candies? i don't know, was hoping to get some input on this.

#5 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

some (good) news...

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pt=AbstractPlus

lifespan extension 30%, when startedin old age still 60% of remaining lifespan...

#6 Phoenicis

• 339 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

This was just posted -

Trehalose – a natural sugar that could possibly be consumed for health and longevity Posted on 18. June 2014 by Vince Giuliano By Vince Giuliano and James P Watson.

Main Points - 

"1. Trehalose enhances longevity by inhibiting the Insulin/IGF axis in nematodes.

2. Trehalose induces autophagy independently of mTOR pathway inhibition and has been shown in experimental models to help in neurodegenerative diseases. Trehalose can clear alpha-synuclein, polyglutamate, amyloid beta 40, amyloid beta 42, and tau proteins such as this seen in Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.

3. Trehalose has also been shown to be effective for treating prion disease.

4. Trehalose can regulate lipid metabolism (Macrolipophagy) via autophagy

[...]

6. Trehalose penetrates the blood-brain barrier quite well.

7. While trehalose is a sugar, it does does not form Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGEs)

8. Trehalose may prevent the progression of insulin resistance

9. Trehalose treatment reverses autophagy impairment and prevents neural tube defects in diabetic pregnancies – in mice at least

10. Trehalose exercises an antidepressant affect, at least on mice

11. There is an issue of how much trehalose ingested by humans makes it into the bloodstream where it can induce the beneficial effects outlined above.

Like humans, mice have trehalase in their guts, developing its expression early in their lives (ref)(ref)(ref). The experiments described above based on adding trehalose to mouse drinking water suggest that significant benefits are nonetheless realized via upgrading autophagy and mitigating insulin resistance(ref)(ref)(ref). So, some trehalose must be getting into cells. I infer this is due to a certain portion of the trehhalose evading gut trehalase breakdown and passing into the bloodstream where it is later broken down by circulating trehalase or in kidneys. I further infer that that the same happens when humans consume trehalose. The percentage amount entering the bloodstream is unknown. However as identified above, it is thought that 5 gms per day is a safe amount for human consumption.

14. Supplementation with trehalose could lead to people with a rare disease, trehalase deficiency disorder, to have problems.

15. Scientific studies clearly establishing health benefits of trehalose supplementation in humans appear to be conspicuously missing"

Edited by Phoenicis, 21 June 2014 - 01:14 AM.

• like x 1

#7 Trevor

• 56 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

This is a wonderful article.  It is very interesting that trehalose is not prone to the Maillard reaction (glycation).  Also of note is that it enhances protein folding so it could be a major anti aging compound.  

That being said, I consume 10 grams a day and it is a very weak sweetener.  I wonder if it would be possible to treat trehalose with the enzyme trehalase, breaking the two glucose molecules apart and increasing the sweetness while guaranteeing absorption.  This sounds like a good idea but it may not work because the bond where the molecules are broken seem to give trehalose its antioxidant effects and it may oxidize if exposed to air.  Just a thought. 

#8 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

It is a weak sweetener. I have had it in the cabinet (since a Swanson's BOGO for it) beside Xylitol, Erythothol, and Stevia which I occasionally consume in very small quantities in teas. I love black coffee, but need a little something with most teas (aside from Rooibos). I have yet to try it beyond an initial taste test as I wanted to see how it would affect blood sugar and haven't had time to test it. Sounds like it would not be expected to significantly. Will look more into it as it likely has more benefits than that related to its use as a sweetener.

That said, I see it made it into a muscleandfitness.com article :)

http://www.muscleand...-some-trehalose

Their take:

"Some supplements, as well as the sports drink Accelerade, offer trehalose in combination with other carbohydrates. Taking trehalose along with protein within 30 minutes of starting your workout will supply your muscles with a steady stream of energy as you train and allow fat-burning to continue by minimizing insulin levels. Add trehalose supplements to your preworkout regimen, but start with small doses to assess your tolerance and give your body time to regulate the enzyme activity of trehalase. Because trehalose digests so slowly, taking too much of it at one time can cause severe stomach upset. We recommend starting with no more than 20 grams of trehalose as part of your 20-40 grams of preworkout carbs."

#9 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

I cannot find Trehalose in South Africa and importing it is exhorbatant.
Its a pity as I wanted to mix stevia with it to get it to the same sweetness as sugar and use it as a replacement..

http://www.longecity...pproves-stevia/

#10 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

...Its a pity as I wanted to mix stevia with it to get it to the same sweetness as sugar and use it as a replacement....

It seems the idea is not new

http://www.newsweet....rsubstitute.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users