Photo
- - - - -

Magnesium Citrate makes me sleep

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Not_Supplied

• 93 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi. I've been taking 400mg magnesium citrate before bed. I don't know the science, but it works for me. I'm out like a light and sleep until morning. Sometimes I sleep great, sometimes it's disturbed but always sleep.

On some occasions I've washed them down with a beer, and that can make me sleep very peacefully. Maybe a GABA thing going on? Obviously not recommended regularly.

NS

#2 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

I've noticed a relaxing effect from magnesium citrate too.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

If you want the GABA effect without the beer, Magnesium Taurate works too.

There should be no problems taking 400mg Mag everyday long-term.

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

Something that concerns me about the citrates is possibly increased lead/aluminum absorption:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8091252

Anybody have thoughts there? The studies are overall mixed, so it may not be a true issue. Still... wondering if it's the ideal type of magnesium to use.

#5 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

Something that concerns me about the citrates is possibly increased lead/aluminum absorption:

Anybody have thoughts there? The studies are overall mixed, so it may not be a true issue. Still... wondering if it's the ideal type of magnesium to use.

Fascinating. Could it possibly be from increasing the solubility of aluminium? Would it cause similar effects regarding other bad metals? Would other weak acids (weak bases as salts) beside citrate cause similar effects? Although this would mean that fruit intake (citrus in particular) would increase uptake since fruits have lots of such substances.

Could be avoided by distilling the water (although this causes other bad effect) or maybe by using relatively strong chelators like Albion for mineral intake. Although the later would not solve the fruit problem. If it exists.

Edited by Blue, 30 July 2009 - 06:30 PM.

#6 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

But the recent study suggests that the effect is not important:
http://www.sciencedi...1f1e668ed6c781b

#7 Mike M

• 404 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

It gives me crazy dreams.

#8 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:50 AM

I am glad for your post, it has been bugging me why I test high for aluminum. Aluminum, I couldn't figure it out. Needless to say, I use a lot of magnesium citrate. I supplement maybe 100% plus of the daily value for magnesium.

I am in the 80th percentile for aluminum, 42nd percentile for lead, and 85th percentile for mercury. I wonder if mercury absorption is also increased by citrate. I did eat a lot of canned tuna, so I was not so perplexed by the mercury number. (Inductively coupled plasma/mass spectroscopy tests by Metametrix).

#9 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

I am glad for your post, it has been bugging me why I test high for aluminum. Aluminum, I couldn't figure it out. Needless to say, I use a lot of magnesium citrate. I supplement maybe 100% plus of the daily value for magnesium.

I am in the 80th percentile for aluminum, 42nd percentile for lead, and 85th percentile for mercury. I wonder if mercury absorption is also increased by citrate. I did eat a lot of canned tuna, so I was not so perplexed by the mercury number. (Inductively coupled plasma/mass spectroscopy tests by Metametrix).

Where/how did you test those? I'd be interested in testing mine too, especially now that I'm taking magnesium citrate. I thought the selenium in tuna (well, fish in general) was supposed to protect from mercury?

#10 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

I should probably try this too. On my bottle it says that one 1000mg is the recommended dose, how much do you take?

#11 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

Magnesium is the body's basic NMDA receptor antagonist. Dextromethorphan (the active ingredient in Robitussin) is another example of a NMDA receptor antagonist (albeit, an entirely different kind of antagonist). Maybe the calmness feeling is from that, and taking one of the more absorbable forms of Mag is doing that for you?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Not_Supplied

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the heavy metals thing. I will probably give magnesium taurate a try after I've finished this bottle and see if it works.

I don't really know if it has a calmness effect as it all happens when I'm unconscious! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users