Photo
- - - - -

Looking for nutrients/supplements for bulging disk in neck

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Holysmoke

• 23 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

My wife has a bulging disk in her neck causing pain.

I was wondering if there are nutrients or supplements that would help heal this disk.

I was thinking about vitamin K2.

any help appreciated!

#2 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

My wife has a bulging disk in her neck causing pain.

I was wondering if there are nutrients or supplements that would help heal this disk.

I was thinking about vitamin K2.

any help appreciated!

Like a goiter? If so, iodine is what you need.

Has she seen a doctor?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

i have a family member w/ this exact issue. bulging discs/degenerative bone condition.

i think it's becuz her diet is not good, she eats foods with high fructose corn syrup, has too many sweets. she has a lot of signs of 'inflammation' like GERD, asthma/allergies, and the disc issue seems to be an extension of this condition.

i dont have any ideas, but just comparing notes i guess. i may look into it later, but i think the best solution is probably just going to be walking and getting enough vitamins/minerals.

#4 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:03 AM

no not a goiter. a bulging disk in between her neck vertebrae is what I believe it to be.

yes she has seen a doctor. the neurosurgeon showed us the disk in the MRI and it is bulging.

I believe you are on to something with inflammation and I have her on a product called curamin with bcm-95 curcumin, curcuminoids, dl phenylananine, Boswellia and Nattokinase. This greatly reduces the pain.

I am wanting to get her the proper nutrients to try to heal the disk. She does take 2000 mg of salmon oil per day from carlson.

#5 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

should I get her on Vitamin D?

I really don't like vitamin D from cow brains, is there one from a better source?

#6 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:53 AM

Get her an inversion table. Fabulous.

#7 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:02 AM

Get her an inversion table. Fabulous.

money is tight now, do you think this would work good? has alot of reviews
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8145190&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8145190

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

should I get her on Vitamin D?

I really don't like vitamin D from cow brains, is there one from a better source?

Cow brains? Haven't heard of that... Fish and fish oils is a common source. Lanolin from sheep is said to be another.

#9 amere

• 42 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:27 AM

Vitamins C, D3 and K2 for bone and disc
Thiamine/TTFD, P5P and B12 for the nerve

#10 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:57 AM

no not a goiter. a bulging disk in between her neck vertebrae is what I believe it to be.

yes she has seen a doctor. the neurosurgeon showed us the disk in the MRI and it is bulging.

I believe you are on to something with inflammation and I have her on a product called curamin with bcm-95 curcumin, curcuminoids, dl phenylananine, Boswellia and Nattokinase. This greatly reduces the pain.

I am wanting to get her the proper nutrients to try to heal the disk. She does take 2000 mg of salmon oil per day from carlson.

somewhat similar situation. family member had an MRI done, revealed these bulging discs. not really sure what to do about it yet, becuz i think it just requires a healthy lifestyle (which will require me to have a long talk w/ this person about eating better and exercising).

bone health is a function of vitamin d, calcium, minerals and stressing the bones. just walking/jogging should generate enough vibration to maintain good bone structure if you do it enough.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:52 AM

Once there is a problem with a disc like that, I'd be a bit surprised if supplements alone could fix it. Getting inflammation under control and having healthy bones couldn't hurt, though, and might help. Try some physical therapy, too. It seems like there's nothing that can't be made better by appropriate PT.

#12 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

thank you for the advice.

I have her on Jarrow MK-7 and Curamin
http://www.curamin.com/
so far.

She is on a full Activated B Complex from Country Life with coenzymes.

I will add Vitamin D3.

I will try the inversion table and we are waiting to get into physical therapy.

#13 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

since adding 4000 IU of vitamin D3, my wife is doing much better. I googled vitamin d and pain and it certainly is linked to vit D deficiency.

#14 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:36 PM

I would look into Manganese. It sounds like she has a intervertebral cervical herniation. Mn is needed to strengthen all the weak connective tissue there that is herniating as well as the bone. Check her levels first, in whole blood and hair.

Manganese supplementation improves mineral density of the spine and femur and serum osteocalcin in rats.
Bae YJ, Kim MH.

Department of Food and Nutrition, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 140-742, South Korea.

The effect of manganese (Mn) supplementation on bone mineral density (BMD) and bone metabolism parameters was determined in ovariectomized Sprague-Dawley rats. Rats were divided into four groups (OVX, OVX+Mn, sham, sham+Mn) and fed with different intake levels of manganese (adequate 0.001% Mn, supplementation 0.01% Mn) for 12 weeks. BMD of the lumbar vertebrae, femur, and tibia were significantly lowered in ovariectomized rats compared to the sham group. In addition, BMD of the lumbar vertebrae was significantly increased by Mn supplementation in the sham groups. Serum C-telopeptide cross-links of type I collagen (CTx), bone resorption biomarker, alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and bone formation biomarkers were not significantly different among the four groups. However, serum osteocalcin, a more sensitive bone formation biomarker, was significantly increased by Mn supplementation. To summarize, Mn supplementation resulted in increased BMD and bone formation. Based on our findings, more research is needed to better understand the effects of manganese supplementation on bone formation and resorption.

#15 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

I would look into Manganese. It sounds like she has a intervertebral cervical herniation. Mn is needed to strengthen all the weak connective tissue there that is herniating as well as the bone. Check her levels first, in whole blood and hair.

Manganese supplementation improves mineral density of the spine and femur and serum osteocalcin in rats.
Bae YJ, Kim MH.

Department of Food and Nutrition, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 140-742, South Korea.

The effect of manganese (Mn) supplementation on bone mineral density (BMD) and bone metabolism parameters was determined in ovariectomized Sprague-Dawley rats. Rats were divided into four groups (OVX, OVX+Mn, sham, sham+Mn) and fed with different intake levels of manganese (adequate 0.001% Mn, supplementation 0.01% Mn) for 12 weeks. BMD of the lumbar vertebrae, femur, and tibia were significantly lowered in ovariectomized rats compared to the sham group. In addition, BMD of the lumbar vertebrae was significantly increased by Mn supplementation in the sham groups. Serum C-telopeptide cross-links of type I collagen (CTx), bone resorption biomarker, alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and bone formation biomarkers were not significantly different among the four groups. However, serum osteocalcin, a more sensitive bone formation biomarker, was significantly increased by Mn supplementation. To summarize, Mn supplementation resulted in increased BMD and bone formation. Based on our findings, more research is needed to better understand the effects of manganese supplementation on bone formation and resorption.

well. I might just add 10 mg per day. thanks for the tip

#16 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

Ok so ...I am someone who has suffered from this condition, except magnified greatly.

3 full cervical herniations, 1 bulge ...with spinal stenosis and root nerve compression as well as having numerous osteophytes (bone spurs) on my spine. Nothing is ever going to 'fix' me save for surgery of some kind, however, i have been able to reduce symptoms without surgery to the point that I am happy with my quality of life. I have bad days once in a while, but for the most I can put out about 95% level of effort in the gym lifting weights and I am able to run again (up to 4 miles ...past that it just becomes too much jarring) on a tread mill ...no open road though because the impact affects me much much sooner.

My symptoms at thier worse included:

1. Numbness in my right arm all the way to my finger tips

2. 50% loss of strength in my right arm ....sometimes spiking to 75% loss

3. Severe pain when immobile / sitting / lying down ...I was in much less pain standing, of course this didnt help when sleeping. Getting to sleep usually involved popping melatonin, a muscle relaxer, and something for the pain... then waiting until I passed out.

4. Severe pain when moving ...I am talking about something as simple as walking. I couldnt do it without horrible pain.

So ....I had two different neurosurgeons that warned me that if one of the discs herniated any further into my spinal cord I could end up having severe problems, perhaps permnent ones. One doctor wanted to do surgery immediately ...the other I talked into trying other methods before surgery.

My rehabilitation:

Doctor Tx: Anti-Inflamatories and muscle relaxers to reduce inflamation and to allow my neck muscles to relax thus reducing the pressure on my discs. After a week or so on these, I was brought in for cortizone injections into my spine. (not actually cortizone, but a similiar acting substance). I received 3 series of 3 injections each spaced a week or two apart into my spine (I received a another round of injections 6 months later). After my first series I was started on cervical traction, 3x a day / 7days a week ...and gradually increased traction pressue from a slight amount (2-3 pounds) to 25 pounds over several months. I continued traction therapy aggressively for 6 months, then reduced it down to 1/day ...then down to 3/week. I discontinued compeletely roughly 18 months after injury.

Anyway ...immediately, within a week, of starting traction therapy my arm was restored to near normal, i.e. the numbness faded away. I would still get bouts of numbness if I did something to compress my spine ....but even that stopped eventually. It took a few more weeks for my strength to return, but within a month of traction/injections I was back to 95% ...the last 5% or so took months to get back.

Once the inflamation was reduced, my feeling returned, my strength back, and I was able to move around without pain, I was referred to a rehab. physician. We began aggressive stretching, massage, and trigger point injection therapy. My muscles were completely wrecked up from compensation and the actual traction therapy itself I had ongoing. It is a tremendous amount of pressure to maintain on your neck muscles, so all of this was really needed.

Self Treatement:

1. Amped up my mag/D3/calcium/MK5&7
2. Aggressive use of a hot tub and hot baths to relax muscles and to assist in stretching exercises.
3. Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM - I was taking this, but I really amped it up.
4. I was already on a supplement routine so aside from the above, I didnt alter it much.

I would just like to point out that I have had no surgery yet. I was told that any further movement of one of my discs into my spinal cord could cause serious and permanent damage. I was told that I would never be able to jog again unless I got surgery (see the very beginning for where I am now). I am going to need surgery at some point ...if anything for the osteophytes. Supplements and rehabilitation wont make those go away ....only surgery can. However, quality of life has been mostly returned and I have been extremely happy witht that.

#17 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

Ok so ...I am someone who has suffered from this condition, except magnified greatly.

3 full cervical herniations, 1 bulge ...with spinal stenosis and root nerve compression as well as having numerous osteophytes (bone spurs) on my spine. Nothing is ever going to 'fix' me save for surgery of some kind, however, i have been able to reduce symptoms without surgery to the point that I am happy with my quality of life. I have bad days once in a while, but for the most I can put out about 95% level of effort in the gym lifting weights and I am able to run again (up to 4 miles ...past that it just becomes too much jarring) on a tread mill ...no open road though because the impact affects me much much sooner.

My symptoms at thier worse included:

1. Numbness in my right arm all the way to my finger tips

2. 50% loss of strength in my right arm ....sometimes spiking to 75% loss

3. Severe pain when immobile / sitting / lying down ...I was in much less pain standing, of course this didnt help when sleeping. Getting to sleep usually involved popping melatonin, a muscle relaxer, and something for the pain... then waiting until I passed out.

4. Severe pain when moving ...I am talking about something as simple as walking. I couldnt do it without horrible pain.

So ....I had two different neurosurgeons that warned me that if one of the discs herniated any further into my spinal cord I could end up having severe problems, perhaps permnent ones. One doctor wanted to do surgery immediately ...the other I talked into trying other methods before surgery.

My rehabilitation:

Doctor Tx: Anti-Inflamatories and muscle relaxers to reduce inflamation and to allow my neck muscles to relax thus reducing the pressure on my discs. After a week or so on these, I was brought in for cortizone injections into my spine. (not actually cortizone, but a similiar acting substance). I received 3 series of 3 injections each spaced a week or two apart into my spine (I received a another round of injections 6 months later). After my first series I was started on cervical traction, 3x a day / 7days a week ...and gradually increased traction pressue from a slight amount (2-3 pounds) to 25 pounds over several months. I continued traction therapy aggressively for 6 months, then reduced it down to 1/day ...then down to 3/week. I discontinued compeletely roughly 18 months after injury.

Anyway ...immediately, within a week, of starting traction therapy my arm was restored to near normal, i.e. the numbness faded away. I would still get bouts of numbness if I did something to compress my spine ....but even that stopped eventually. It took a few more weeks for my strength to return, but within a month of traction/injections I was back to 95% ...the last 5% or so took months to get back.

Once the inflamation was reduced, my feeling returned, my strength back, and I was able to move around without pain, I was referred to a rehab. physician. We began aggressive stretching, massage, and trigger point injection therapy. My muscles were completely wrecked up from compensation and the actual traction therapy itself I had ongoing. It is a tremendous amount of pressure to maintain on your neck muscles, so all of this was really needed.

Self Treatement:

1. Amped up my mag/D3/calcium/MK5&7
2. Aggressive use of a hot tub and hot baths to relax muscles and to assist in stretching exercises.
3. Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM - I was taking this, but I really amped it up.
4. I was already on a supplement routine so aside from the above, I didnt alter it much.

I would just like to point out that I have had no surgery yet. I was told that any further movement of one of my discs into my spinal cord could cause serious and permanent damage. I was told that I would never be able to jog again unless I got surgery (see the very beginning for where I am now). I am going to need surgery at some point ...if anything for the osteophytes. Supplements and rehabilitation wont make those go away ....only surgery can. However, quality of life has been mostly returned and I have been extremely happy witht that.

thanks so much for taking the time to share this with me.

can you share the specific brands and doses of Self Treatement:

1. mag/D3/calcium/MK5&7

3. Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM

you are in naples? we are in cape coral.

Edited by Holysmoke, 18 September 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#18 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

I have neck problems though not a bulging disk. What I did was buy a over-the-door neck traction device online for around $15. It has saved me so much money from not having to go to the chiropractor. And does it feel good!

#19 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

thanks so much for taking the time to share this with me.

can you share the specific brands and doses of Self Treatement:

1. mag/D3/calcium/MK5&7

3. Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM

you are in naples? we are in cape coral.

In Naples for another month or so (I am actually a native) ...I just took a job at NASA and will be moving to the other coast since I will be working at KSC.

Regarding brands or dosages, I would stick to a quality supplement provider like Jarrow/NOW/LifeExtensions/ect. I cant recall exact name of the K complex it take as I am in the office, but it is a LE supplement commonly used by other posters here. The mag i take is citrate ..it is rough on the stomach though (it actually gets sold as a laxative) so you might want to look into another form. D3 is 5000iu from LE as well ...though I dont take it every day, when I take it depends on my sun exposure. For example, if I am out fishing all day ...I will not be taking D3 that night. Regardless, it is still best practice to get levels checked. My last levels came in at 48 which is close to the 45 or so others seem to shoot for. I was taking several grams of Glucosamine/MSM a day split into three doses. The chondroitin wasn't that big of a deal to me but was in the NOW supplement I was taking.

#20 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

I have neck problems though not a bulging disk. What I did was buy a over-the-door neck traction device online for around $15. It has saved me so much money from not having to go to the chiropractor. And does it feel good!

One word of caution with that ......take it easy ramping up weight (you really need 20-25lbs to get proper traction on the cervical spine). Nice and slow is best practice here.

In addition, make sure you keep your neck muscles adequately stretched before and afterwords as it puts a lot of pressure on them. A heating pad or hottub prior to the traction will make the traction work better ...in addition you can also putting a heating pad on your neck while using the home device (I jerry rigged one so it wouldnt fall off heh).

I would also suggest you spend at least 15 minutes ...ideally 20-30 at a time because it really takes that long for your muscles to relax enough to let the space between the discs increase.

#21 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

do you have a link please?

#22 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

One word of caution with that ......take it easy ramping up weight (you really need 20-25lbs to get proper traction on the cervical spine). Nice and slow is best practice here.

In addition, make sure you keep your neck muscles adequately stretched before and afterwords as it puts a lot of pressure on them. A heating pad or hottub prior to the traction will make the traction work better ...in addition you can also putting a heating pad on your neck while using the home device (I jerry rigged one so it wouldnt fall off heh).

I would also suggest you spend at least 15 minutes ...ideally 20-30 at a time because it really takes that long for your muscles to relax enough to let the space between the discs increase.

Good points, Mike.  I haven't used it longer than ten minutes but will do so.  I think you're right about the neck muscles taking a while to relax.  

#23 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

wife going in for an epidural tomorrow. supplements help a little but more powerful relief needed

#24 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:21 AM

Can you name the device? thanks.

#25 Holysmoke

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

an epidural then steroid injection into herniated disk has provided great relief for my wife.

hope it lasts

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#26 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

an epidural then steroid injection into herniated disk has provided great relief for my wife.

hope it lasts

It will ...6-8 months.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users