- - - - -

Excessive Bleeding With Resveratrol?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hi All,

One thing I've noticed over the many months I've taken resveratrol is that I seem to bleed more profusely, for example, when I cut my gums during flossing. (I've always used 500mg/d.) Based on the CR data, this would be expected, as CR down-throttles clotting activity, presumably in an effort to prevent death by stroke or heart attack while an animal is awaiting a richer food supply (in order to survive long enough to reproduce). In the case of my gum bleeding, I seem to produce maybe 5X as much blood as in my pre-resveratrol days, before clotting sets in.

I can reduce the bleeding by eating a more thrombogenic diet (white bread and excessive omega 6), but that kind of defeats the purpose of taking resveratrol. I've tried to override the bleeding by supplementing as much brocolli and avocados as I can stand (for the vitamin K), but it doesn't work. (I'm going to supplement K2 (MK-7) next, as I'm getting rather desperate, and MK-7 might have the added benefit of reversing arterial calcification, if you Google around.) Of course, there's always the possibility that I have acquired some sort of platelet abnormality which just happened to coincide in time with the onset of my CRish gene changes, but that seems unlikely.

CR and resveratrol are not, of course, identical in gene impact. That is to say, just because CR reduces clotting doesn't mean resveratrol necessarily must (studies, anyone?). So I'd just like to get some qualitative feedback as to whether you've seen this, or perhaps the opposite effect.

resveratrol_guy

#2 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

While it may thin your blood, somewhat, I think the cause of your bleeding gums is gingivitis and improper floss technique. I think you should be using an oral rinse such as listerine or chlorhexadine gluconate (available only from your Dentist). I f you are brushing and flossing daily, but get bleeding gums, it indicates a visit to the Dentist is needed. Resveratrol should have the opposite effect, in that the gum tissues should be firmer. Excessive vitamin C intake can make your gums mushy, perhaps you should re-asess your regimen. When was the last time you had your teeth cleaned? I would see a Dentist. Stop all supplementation, perhaps that would help you. Just my opinion, I hope it helps.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

are you putting your pills in the right end....I mean right hole? If not then that could explain it.

#4 resveratrol_guy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hi 2tender,

Yeah, I floss and brush every day. I have this one tooth which has always been a problem, and it's just been much worse with resveratrol (maybe due to coincidental reasons that have nothing to do with the supplement).

I did use oral sterilizing rinses for a while, but found that they caused even more problems, most likely because they kill everything, including the "good" bacteria. The one thing that really helped was cutting back on sugar and increasing flossing frequency to twice daily, just to build up some tough scar tissue. I quit the latter practice, but I guess I'll try it again.

No problems with respect to dental issues; I don't eat enough sweet junk food in a year to fill a lunch box. Still, it's been 8 months since I got a cleaning, so I think you have a point. Thanks for the suggestion.

resveratrol_guy

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:13 AM

Hi 2tender,

Yeah, I floss and brush every day. I have this one tooth which has always been a problem, and it's just been much worse with resveratrol (maybe due to coincidental reasons that have nothing to do with the supplement).

I did use oral sterilizing rinses for a while, but found that they caused even more problems, most likely because they kill everything, including the "good" bacteria. The one thing that really helped was cutting back on sugar and increasing flossing frequency to twice daily, just to build up some tough scar tissue. I quit the latter practice, but I guess I'll try it again.

No problems with respect to dental issues; I don't eat enough sweet junk food in a year to fill a lunch box. Still, it's been 8 months since I got a cleaning, so I think you have a point. Thanks for the suggestion.

resveratrol_guy

Are you taking your 500 mg as a capsule or a powder?

I am taking res as a powder, place it in the mouth, drink sme water, and swish it around and swallow after a few sips. It does seem to have a antibacterial effect which reduces gum problems somewhat. I also take K2, and my clotting time is toward the low end of "normal" on lab tests. Resveratrol inhibits angiogenesis to a slight degree, what effect this might have on your gums is uncertain.

There's a chance the bleeding is coincidental, too. If you stop taking resveratrol for a few days and it improves, then gets worse if you re-start taking resveratrol that would tend to confirm it as a cause.

#6 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

Your welcome Resveratrol guy! Some Surgeons are requiring that their potential candidates for surgery stop all supplementation for a period of time before and after surgery. The reason being that, supplements can interfere with various systems during surgery, excessive bleeding being one of them. If a person goes without a regular oral prophylaxis bleeding gums is often a consequence and a primary indication of gingivitis.I dont think Resveratrol use should not be a contributing factor to gingival infection, although a combination of supplements theoretically could. Using the most popular OTC herbal mouthwash will not kill off "good bacteria" in your mouth, it will help heal your bleeding gums though, and its been approved by the American Dental Association.

Edited by 2tender, 11 October 2009 - 03:21 AM.

#7 resveratrol_guy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Are you taking your 500 mg as a capsule or a powder?

I am taking res as a powder, place it in the mouth, drink sme water, and swish it around and swallow after a few sips. It does seem to have a antibacterial effect which reduces gum problems somewhat. I also take K2, and my clotting time is toward the low end of "normal" on lab tests. Resveratrol inhibits angiogenesis to a slight degree, what effect this might have on your gums is uncertain.

There's a chance the bleeding is coincidental, too. If you stop taking resveratrol for a few days and it improves, then gets worse if you re-start taking resveratrol that would tend to confirm it as a cause.

Hi Maxwatt,

I take the resveratrol as capsules, 98%.

So first off, I know that I have mild gingivitis, primarily due to an oral infection that I never quite kicked, most likely from eating too much fruit once upon a time. This is the source of the bleeding, although the severity has markedly worsened over my resveratrol usage period.

Certainly resveratrol is not the only factor. I bleed more when I overindulge in olive oil, shiitake mushrooms, or grape skin extract, all of which are powerful anticoagulants. Shame really, as the latter two are superfoods. I no longer eat any meaningful amount of fruit, as I've discovered that it's a gingivitis disaster, not to mention systemically damaging. For the record, I've also recently ditched the olive oil, which I've concluded offers no nutritional advantages, polyphenol content notwithstanding, and decreases flow mediated dilation and causes dehydration.

I cut my resveratrol dose in half just for today, and sure enough the bleeding subsided substantially tonight, maybe down to 20% of last night's volume. But I also cut out shiitakes today, so the result ambiguous.

It occurred to me that resveratrol's involvement in the bleeding may be significant, if indirect: CR (and presumably resveratrol) down-throttle white cell count (especially in the presence of tumeric, if we are to believe the in-vitro studies posted elsewhere here, and I am indeed a tumeric pig), which allows my gingivitis to continue with less inhibition than it would otherwise encounter. Indeed, as of July, my neutrophil count is about 1500 -- borderline neutropenic, and as low as it's ever been. This neutropenic effect may be more significant than resveratrol's potential anticoagulant effect in my ongoing bleeding. (For the record, also as of July, my reticulocytes (immature red blood cells) are about 86K (relatively high), which would suggest that my bone marrow is in overdrive trying to compensate for the mature red blood cells being lost through bleeding.)

Anyway, I tend to think that my anticoagulative diet in general is to blame, if not perhaps some undiagnosed hairy cell leukemia or related platelet disorder. I'll try to get another blood test soon, and maybe tweak my resveratrol temporarily, and post when I have better data on the root cause.

#8 resveratrol_guy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Your welcome Resveratrol guy! Some Surgeons are requiring that their potential candidates for surgery stop all supplementation for a period of time before and after surgery. The reason being that, supplements can interfere with various systems during surgery, excessive bleeding being one of them. If a person goes without a regular oral prophylaxis bleeding gums is often a consequence and a primary indication of gingivitis.I dont think Resveratrol use should not be a contributing factor to gingival infection, although a combination of supplements theoretically could. Using the most popular OTC herbal mouthwash will not kill off "good bacteria" in your mouth, it will help heal your bleeding gums though, and its been approved by the American Dental Association.

Heh, funny you should mention this. 5 months after I started CR (but still long before starting resveratrol), I had throat surgery (unrelated to gingivitis). A week later, one of my stichings came undone, and I was starting to leak about 1ml/minute. The leak had continued for about 4 hours by the time I called the surgeon to inquire. He was furious that I'd waited so long, and had me rush back to the operating room for emergency surgery.

Now what's incredible is that I had deliberately paused my CR a full 3 weeks before surgery -- precisely to prevent this problem! However, the excessive bleeding happened anyway. Perhaps it was because I didn't know enough at the time to back off the olive oil (like 50 or 100ml/d). Or perhaps, as I suggested above, I've had a creeping form of leukemia for a long time and haven't diagnosed it yet.

I thought herbal dental products were nonsense, but come to think of it, peppermint oil is antibacterial (antiviral)? Maybe I should give it a try. I'm really not a fan of squirting Colgate into my mouth every night, especially in the presence of open wounds!

#9 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:08 AM

I think that it would be wise, at this point, to curtail CR and supplementing with anything including peppermint oil or anything else until you have had a complete work=up by a Doctor. If you think you may have leukemia or any similar disorder you should discuss it promptly with a Physician.

#10 Dare5dev

• 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

I am new here. I've been reading the forum for a while. This is my first shot at posting.

I first started using 300mg of micronized resveratrol in powder form about 6 weeks ago. For the first 4 weeks the only effect I had from it was slightly increased energy. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago I noticed some bleeding from my gums. It was rather minor and I did not think that it was related to resveratrol use. However, I also started bleeding from my nose a little after that. The nose bleeding increased from a drop or two to a torrent last night. I used 3 paper towels to soak up the blood. I've never had a nose bleed before in my life. I've been on other supplements for about a year before I started using resveratrol without any side effects. I haven't added anything new to my regimen since I started it. Maybe there was an interaction with something else I am taking. What do you guys think? The following is a list of supplements I am taking.

Wild Salmon Oil - 3g
Glucosamine/Chondroitine/MSM - 1.5g/1.2g/1.2g
Coenzyme Q10 - 100mg
Calcium/Magnesium/Vit D - 1g/668mg/400mg
Vit D - 800mg
Orthocore Multibasics- 3 pills
Quercetin/Bromelain - 1.2g/400mg
ALCAR - 1g
R(+)Lipoic acid - 300mg
Iron - 50mg of elemental iron in a slow release form (I've been diagnosed with anemia)
Nettle - 1.5g
Gotu Kola - 500mg
Bacopa Monnieri - 500mg
Schisandra Berry - 500mg
Ashwaganda Root - 500mg
Shankhapushpi (Evolvulus alsinoides) - 500mg
Chlorella/Spirulina/Wheat grass/Barley grass- 1g each

I have decided to stop using resveratrol immediately. The whole experience is causing me to re-evaluate my use of supplements in general. I will probably cut down some.

Edited by Dare5dev, 18 October 2009 - 11:58 AM.

#11 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

I think its wise to stop supplementing right now. The combination of all those has probably decreased the clotting time of your blood and possibly raised your blood pressure. The bloody nose could be from a variety of factors including dry air and exertion, bleeding gums the same, could be gingivitis or excessive Vitamin C intake. Some time ago people where talking about "Vitaminosis" it was said to be related to excessive supplement intake I would stop supplementing until I understood what was causing it. It would be wise to see your Doctor and Dentist. IMO, after supplementing for prolonged periods of time its important to stop, then decrease doses and the number of days that you dose, every other day, 3 times a week maybe plenty.Just my opinion, you can get too much of a good thing.

#12 Dare5dev

• 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for the advice 2tender. I have already made an appt. with my doctor. I will most likely start cycling and/or reducing some of the doses. I am going to wait a couple of weeks before I do so because I want to see if the small amounts of daily bleeding stop without the resveratrol. The strange part is that I did take a 50% resveratrol product at a higher dose for a few months before this. I stopped due to the gastrointestinal irritation it caused. Maybe the increased absorption of the micronized powder is the problem for me. I should have probably started out at a smaller dose. Anyway, l will wait and see what happens in the next little while

#13 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:02 AM

I am new here. I've been reading the forum for a while. This is my first shot at posting.

I first started using 300mg of micronized resveratrol in powder form about 6 weeks ago. For the first 4 weeks the only effect I had from it was slightly increased energy. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago I noticed some bleeding from my gums. It was rather minor and I did not think that it was related to resveratrol use. However, I also started bleeding from my nose a little after that. The nose bleeding increased from a drop or two to a torrent last night. I used 3 paper towels to soak up the blood. I've never had a nose bleed before in my life. I've been on other supplements for about a year before I started using resveratrol without any side effects. I haven't added anything new to my regimen since I started it. Maybe there was an interaction with something else I am taking. What do you guys think? The following is a list of supplements I am taking.

Wild Salmon Oil - 3g
Coenzyme Q10 - 100mg
Vit D - 800mg
ALCAR - 1g
R(+)Lipoic acid - 300mg
Iron - 50mg of elemental iron in a slow release form (I've been diagnosed with anemia)
Nettle - 1.5g
Gotu Kola - 500mg
Bacopa Monnieri - 500mg
Schisandra Berry - 500mg
Ashwaganda Root - 500mg

I have decided to stop using resveratrol immediately. The whole experience is causing me to re-evaluate my use of supplements in general. I will probably cut down some.

Three grams is a lot of fish oil, which is known to increase clotting time. It is the most likely cause of bleeding, perhaps combined with bacterial infection of the gums. You have too many herbs/phytochemicals (and other things) on your list, with uncertain modes of action, unpredictable additive or interactive effects and perhaps no good reason to take them. Can you say why you take each one of these items? Generally you should add things one at a time, starting with a low dose, and note the effects. If it isn't making you feel better, or resulting in measurable improvement on your lab results, you are at best wasting money.

#14 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

Agreed, Ive used most everything listed there. Gotu kola is often contaminated and is known to increase BP, the chorella spirulina etc, etc. can be tainted and toxic as well as the other herbs you listed. I would curtail that regimen immediately. Those herbs in combination could cause you to have a "Gusher" of a nosebleed, if you have a small accident it could cause a "brain bleed" Are you bruising easily? I would imagine that you can see bruises on your legs if you look for them. I f you were unconcious and they had to do surgery, it could be fatal. This is just my opinion and not advice. I would stop taking all that immediately.

#15 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

Wild Salmon Oil - 3g

Three grams is a lot of fish oil, which is known to increase clotting time. It is the most likely cause of bleeding, perhaps combined with bacterial infection of the gums.

My money's on the fish oil. Everytime I go in for a procedure (latest was endoscopy/colonscopy duet) they told me to stop the fish oil. At first they said stop a day or 2 before. When I told them I take 10-12g/day they suggested laying off for a week.

Edited by fatboy, 19 October 2009 - 04:24 AM.

#16 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

My money's on the fish oil. Everytime I go in for a procedure (latest was endoscopy/colonscopy duet) they told me to stop the fish oil. At first they said stop a day or 2 before. When I told them I take 10-12g/day they suggested laying off for a week.

That much?? I heard high doses can increase the probability of stroke.

#17 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the papers suggesting that resveratrol may cause reduction in platelet aggregation and/or platelet apoptosis. Surely this might be a factor here? I would get a full blood count done and check what the platelet count is.

#18 resveratrol_guy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

Just following up based on my latest blood tests. Here's the comparison of relevant parameters:

7/16/2009
------------
Condition: Intermittant fasting with basically 12 hours on, 36 hours off. Body weight about 5 pounds below college minimum.

White cell count: 3.58x10^9/L
Neutrophils: 1554/mm3
Platelets: 216x10^9/L
Resveratrol: 98% 500mg/d
Grape extract: 1 pill per day, from Life Extension Foundation

10/26/2009
-------------
Condition: 6 weeks after exiting IF, converted to high-vitamin-K2 mostly-paleo diet. Exceptions: Unlimited cheese and butter; maximum 1L of milk per week; about one slice of bread a day, or equivalent rice. No other carbs except those in nuts. Absolutely no fruit or raw sugar sources, other than incidental amounts in sauces or veggies. The blood test was taken because I had a throat infection which was resulting in traces of blood in the sputum. (The infection has since cleared with antibiotics.) At the time, I had ceased gingival bleeding 2 or 3 weeks prior, likely due to reduction in fish oil intake (to about 30% of previous), increased cheese and butter consumption (vitamin K2), and increased dark leafy green consumption (vitamin K1). Gained about 10 pounds relative to previous test.

White cell count 5.62x10^9/L
Neutrophils 4237/mm3
Platelets 222x10^9/L
Resveratrol 98% 1000mg/d (for about 3 weeks)
Grape extract: 0

Now, the question is, did the neutrophils rise because (1) I had an infection, (2) because I had exited IF since the last test, (3) because the lab in the first test (in a different country entirely) was malfunctioning, or (4) due to cessation of grape extract? (The second test was done in a better hospital.) Maybe all 4. The increase from 1554 (borderline neutropenic) to 4237 (high normal) at least demonstrates to me that I'm capable of manufacturing neutrophils so as to fight infection. So my hairy cell leukemia theory appears to be wrong (phew!).

Note that while my resveratrol intake doubled -- my crude attempt to hang on IF's benefits, while restoring a functional level of energy to my life -- my empirical clotting behavior improved to the point of zero gingivitis. This at least suggests that if resveratrol increases clotting time, then the effect can be reversed by other dietary changes.

Incidentally, between the first and second tests, my sleep apnea condition has utterly reversed. I've gone from zombie to "regular guy" -- after about 2 years as the former! It has cleared so well that I hardly need a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) device at night at all, anymore -- just when I'm super-tired or nasally congested. This is particularly noteworthy because my weight actually increased by about 10 pounds, which is basically guaranteed to _worsen_ sleep apnea. Hmm... resveratrol's effects on brain chemistry and sleep requirements? Spooky!

The only other noteworthy point is that my sex drive has exploded, starting roughly a week after doubling resveratrol. Possible causes: resveratrol itself, the increase in caloric intake, or better sleep. Qualitatively, it's back to where it was before I descended into sleep apnea. I mention this because I've noticed other people suggesting a resveratrol connection. (This would be surprising, considering that CR definitely decreases sex drive. But it's probably worthy of more analysis with more data points.)

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 02 November 2009 - 01:54 PM.

#19 wiserd

• 108 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:04 AM

Wild Salmon Oil - 3g
Coenzyme Q10 - 100mg
Vit D - 800mg
ALCAR - 1g
R(+)Lipoic acid - 300mg
Nettle - 1.5g
Gotu Kola - 500mg
Bacopa Monnieri - 500mg
Schisandra Berry - 500mg
Ashwaganda Root - 500mg

1. Salmon oil can act as an immune system suppressant which could help some other disease to emerge.
2. Coenzyme Q can increase blood pressure.
2. Gotu Kola can be contaminated with fungus.
4. Ashwaganda root can be high in selenium. (It's decent to take when you're sick, but I don't know you should take it
on a regular basis.) You are taking it for SOD? Be careful of dosage, in any case.
5. Tocopherol (vitamin E) is an anti-coagulant at high levels.
http://www.vitamins-...g/vitamin-E.php
If this is your problem, then as you supposed, menaquinone (K2) should have corrected it.

Edited by wiserd, 05 April 2011 - 05:05 AM.

#20 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:31 AM

I agree with OP. I did notice while taking RES, i had more rectal bleeding. and it definitely took longer for my blood to clot.

#21 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:17 AM

I agree with OP. I did notice while taking RES, i had more rectal bleeding. and it definitely took longer for my blood to clot.

More rectal bleeding than what? How much then do you ordinarily bleed rectally without resveratrol, and from what cause? Is your head affected by this activity, perhaps when you pull it out? How did you measure your blood clotting time, or was it an impression?

Also note that the OP stated his gingivitis subsided with proper treatment, and apparently had nothing to do with resveratrol.

You never answered what kind of patients you see every day, in what capacity, who are having effects from resveratrol as you claimed in an earlier post. Your continued posts of unsubstantiated claims are smelling more and more like a troll attack.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#22 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the papers suggesting that resveratrol may cause reduction in platelet aggregation and/or platelet apoptosis. Surely this might be a factor here? I would get a full blood count done and check what the platelet count is.

Good point: resveratrol does inhibit platelet aggregation, which is a two edged sword. It increases clotting time. This decreases the likelihood of heart attack or ischemic stroke, but increases the likelihood hemorrhagic stroke. Some supplement makers warn against taking anti-coagulant medication with resveratrol or with quercetin, which has the same effect. So does high dose vitamin C. By itself resveratrol is not likely to be a problem in healthy people. But combining a cocktail of supplements most of which affect clotting is not wise. Vitamin K2 can improve clotting time, and there are warnings that people on anti-coagulants should avoid high doses.

#23 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

. . .But combining a cocktail of supplements most of which affect clotting is not wise. . . .

I have worried about my "cocktail" of supplements. Getting a definitive answer has been tough, but, my blood clots well enough to pass the Red Cross blood donation clotting test. Do I still have to worry?

#24 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

. . .But combining a cocktail of supplements most of which affect clotting is not wise. . . .

I have worried about my "cocktail" of supplements. Getting a definitive answer has been tough, but, my blood clots well enough to pass the Red Cross blood donation clotting test. Do I still have to worry?

No.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#25 Dare5dev

• 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

I completely forgot that I had posted this about this years ago.

Just a quick update.

I did go to see my doc. Unfortunately, the earliest appt was about a week or two away from the bleeding incident. I didn't think that the situation was severe enough to warrant a visit to the emergency room. My doc did some blood tests. I honestly can't remember what they were at this point. I just remember that they came back normal. It has been almost 2 yrs since my last post and I haven't experienced a bleeding problem since. I am still taking a lot of the supps I was taking then. It took me a long time to build this stack. I have lost count of the number of supps I have tried. Most have had no effect on me. I basically built this regimen one supp at a time. It has worked well for me. Just to be clear, I had been taking the stack I described in my earlier post for almost an entire year before I added the resveratrol. I did not have any issues with it before I added the resveratrol. After the bleeding incident, the only supp I discontinued was resveratrol and the bleeding immediately stopped.

I added pycnogenol (120 mg) to my stack about a month after the incident. I haven't experienced any problems with it. Recently (maybe 6-8months ago), I stopped taking some supps. I no longer take Shankhapushpi (Evolvulus alsinoides), Nettle, Glucosamine/Chondroitine/MSM and Chlorella/Spirulina/Wheat grass/Barley grass. I stopped taking Glucosamine because it turns out that my knee and hip pain was because of flat feet. I still can't quite get over the fact that it took the health care system years to diagnose me with flat feet. I can't believe that I didn't notice. I have custom made orthotics for that now. I cut out the rest because I don't want to take more than that is necessary and those were the ones with the least effect. I also cut the doses of the Bacopa Monnieri and Ashwaganda Root in half.

As to why I am supplementing: I have unexplained severe fatigue and brain fog. My memory is terrible. I have been trying to get a diagnosis for years. I would just like to be able to think clearly. These supps help me to be somewhat functional. The Quercetin is for allergies. Multivitamin is for general health. Calcium/Magnesium/Vit D because every woman in my family gets osteoporosis at a certain age. I would like to prevent that. I get all my herbs from mountainroseherbs.com. They seem like a reliable company but who knows? Maybe my herbs are contaminated but I have never had any adverse effects. Since no one else had such a severe reaction to resveratrol, I am guessing that it interacted with some of the other supps.

Edited by Dare5dev, 14 June 2011 - 10:57 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#26 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

I completely forgot that I had posted this about this years ago.

Just a quick update. ... (see above for quoted post)

You might want to add Vitamin K2 to your stack to prevent osteoporosis. Current science implies it keeps calcium in your bones and out of your arteries.

As for why resveratrol caused bleeding in your case, I do not know; few have reported such a side effect. Vitamin C in higher doses does delay clotting, as can excessive vitamin E, as might fish oil. Any of these might be a factor combined with resveratrol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users