Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Advanced Myeloid Leukemia (AML) treatment

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

A good friend's mother, age 70, is currently suffering from AML, for about half a year, and already survived 4 rounds of chemo (sadly, I only heard about it recently). She is not currently on chemo and decided to stay off it now by herself (the standard treatment seems to be 3 rounds although this is not expected to be usually enough for remission with patients above age 65). So far, I have recommended her the LEF protocol: http://www.lef.org/p...leukemia_01.htm along with lefcancer.org. She is currently taking the standard things most documented as effective against AML in studies, which are:

Super Bio-Curcumin (i.e. the most bioavailable form of curcumin), at least 800 mg twice a day
High-dose Vitamin D3
Trans-Resveratrol
90% ECGC Green Tea extract
Garlic Extract
Red Yeast Rice (instead of a statin, to keep Ras-oncogene expression down)
Multivitamin

I also already recommended high-dose Vitamin A and soy. I also know and am thinking about methyl jasmonate, but costs and EU customs risks may pose problems. The dosage is somewhat a cost factor, but she is some weeks into the treatment and is feeling and doing much better.

If anyone can make additional recommendations for effective and proven AML-specific treatment options in this thread (other than standard chemo), it will be much appreciated. Thank you.

PS: I do recall promyelocytic leukemia (PML) bodies, which play a role in acute leukemia, to be interacting with telomeres and related to (alternative) telomere elongation. If anyone knows about therapeutic aspects related directly to PML-telomere conncetion, or of available nutrients interacting with telomeres or PML bodies (more detailed than curcumin being a telomerase inhibitor, which I'm aware of), please post, I'd also be interested in that.

Edited by Mixter, 10 October 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

It's acute myeloid leukemia (AML) you're asking about, right? Maybe IP-6 or Thalidomide.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

K2 in addition to the D3
http://abstracts.hem...act/106/11/2528

#4 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

K2 in addition to the D3
http://abstracts.hem...act/106/11/2528

You might want her to include formulas with a high amount of ellagitannins, such as Meeker Red Raspberry Seed Powder and Pomegranate extracts. The ellagic acid made from the ellagitannins in our body are known to induce apoptosis in cancer cells.

#5 Mixter

• Topic Starter
  • 788 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, so far the protocol is helping. But as I understand, eradication of leukemia can take a while in any case. And yes, it's acute not advanced.

The thalidomide link was very interesting. FYI, one further therapy even for resistant leukemia seems to be methadone, which is selectively pro-apoptotic via casp-3/casp-9 promotion for leukemia cells:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18676827

Methadone, commonly used as maintenance medication for outpatient treatment of opioid dependence, kills leukemia cells and overcomes chemoresistance.

Friesen C, Roscher M, Alt A, Miltner E.

Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany. claudia.friesen@uni-ulm.de

The therapeutic opioid drug methadone (d,l-methadone hydrochloride) is the most commonly used maintenance medication for outpatient treatment of opioid dependence. In our study, we found that methadone is also a potent inducer of cell death in leukemia cells and we clarified the unknown mechanism of methadone-induced cell killing in leukemia cells. Methadone inhibited proliferation in leukemia cells and induced cell death through apoptosis induction and activated apoptosis pathways through the activation of caspase-9 and caspase-3, down-regulation of Bcl-x(L) and X chromosome-linked inhibitor of apoptosis, and cleavage of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase. In addition, methadone induced cell death not only in anticancer drug-sensitive and apoptosis-sensitive leukemia cells but also in doxorubicin-resistant, multidrug-resistant, and apoptosis-resistant leukemia cells, which anticancer drugs commonly used in conventional therapies of leukemias failed to kill. Depending on caspase activation, methadone overcomes doxorubicin resistance, multidrug resistance, and apoptosis resistance in leukemia cells through activation of mitochondria. In contrast to leukemia cells, nonleukemic peripheral blood lymphocytes survived after methadone treatment. These findings show that methadone kills leukemia cells and breaks chemoresistance and apoptosis resistance. Our results suggest that methadone is a promising therapeutic approach not only for patients with opioid dependence but also for patients with leukemias and provide the foundation for new strategies using methadone as an additional anticancer drug in leukemia therapy, especially when conventional therapies are less effective.

#6 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:38 AM

I should add that I have a precancerous condition known as Monoclonal Gammopathy of an Unknown Significance (MGUS). It may or may not develop into Multiple Myeloma. I did read on a forum from an MGUS patient that he cured his disease with herbs (he just didn't say which ones). I'm going to use Ayurvedic herbs to treat myself. There are lots of site which have information about treating blood cancers with Ayurveda. Here is a link for a google search for you. In addition to that you might want to consider the possible gamble of Telomerase Activation. Scroll down to post #230 here: http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=308551.

#7 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

I should add that I have a precancerous condition known as Monoclonal Gammopathy of an Unknown Significance (MGUS). It may or may not develop into Multiple Myeloma. I did read on a forum from an MGUS patient that he cured his disease with herbs (he just didn't say which ones). I'm going to use Ayurvedic herbs to treat myself. There are lots of site which have information about treating blood cancers with Ayurveda. Here is a link for a google search for you. In addition to that you might want to consider the possible gamble of Telomerase Activation. Scroll down to post #230 here: http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=308551.

Have you looked at the Margaret's Corner website? http://margaret.healthblogs.org/ - Very interesting site, with lots of useful info for MGUS, MM and cancer in general.

#8 cheesycow5

• 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:03 AM

It probably won't be too much help, but I'd make sure she has a good, low-carb diet.

#9 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

It probably won't be too much help, but I'd make sure she has a good, low-carb diet.

Apparently, leukemic cells rely on fatty acids oxydation, and not glucose, for energy. Thus, a low-fat diet would be more appropriate in this specific cancer case.

#10 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

It may or may not develop into Multiple Myeloma. I did read on a forum from an MGUS patient that he cured his disease with herbs (he just didn't say which ones). I'm going to use Ayurvedic herbs to treat myself.

Hey, did you already manage to kill yourself? If not, I beg you to reconsider and go with real medicine and doctors (or at least have the courtesy and do not suggest that others use "herbs"..)

Edited by kismet, 27 December 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#11 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:44 AM

It may or may not develop into Multiple Myeloma. I did read on a forum from an MGUS patient that he cured his disease with herbs (he just didn't say which ones). I'm going to use Ayurvedic herbs to treat myself.

Hey, did you already manage to kill yourself? If not, I beg you to reconsider and go with real medicine and doctors (or at least have the courtesy and do not suggest that others use "herbs"..)

No, I'm still breathin'. In case you are uninformed about the relationship between MGUS and MM, I should point out that although all people with MM started out with MGUS, not all people with MGUS develop MM. I read somewhere that with MGUS there is one mutation in the gene, and with MM there are two. At this point my IGG levels are being monitored regularly to see whether or not it has developed into MM. So far, it hasn't.

#12 steven d

• 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

Perhaps you should check out this WEBSITE

It contains an alternative cancer treatment protocol using Quercetin + Vit. C (ascorbic acid)

#13 madanthony

• 86 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

A good friend's mother, age 70, is currently suffering from AML, for about half a year, and already survived 4 rounds of chemo (sadly, I only heard about it recently). She is not currently on chemo and decided to stay off it now by herself (the standard treatment seems to be 3 rounds although this is not expected to be usually enough for remission with patients above age 65). So far, I have recommended her the LEF protocol: http://www.lef.org/p...leukemia_01.htm along with lefcancer.org. She is currently taking the standard things most documented as effective against AML in studies, which are:

Super Bio-Curcumin (i.e. the most bioavailable form of curcumin), at least 800 mg twice a day
High-dose Vitamin D3
Trans-Resveratrol
90% ECGC Green Tea extract
Garlic Extract
Red Yeast Rice (instead of a statin, to keep Ras-oncogene expression down)
Multivitamin

I also already recommended high-dose Vitamin A and soy. I also know and am thinking about methyl jasmonate, but costs and EU customs risks may pose problems. The dosage is somewhat a cost factor, but she is some weeks into the treatment and is feeling and doing much better.

If anyone can make additional recommendations for effective and proven AML-specific treatment options in this thread (other than standard chemo), it will be much appreciated. Thank you.

PS: I do recall promyelocytic leukemia (PML) bodies, which play a role in acute leukemia, to be interacting with telomeres and related to (alternative) telomere elongation. If anyone knows about therapeutic aspects related directly to PML-telomere conncetion, or of available nutrients interacting with telomeres or PML bodies (more detailed than curcumin being a telomerase inhibitor, which I'm aware of), please post, I'd also be interested in that.

I don't know about leukemia (this type or any other) but I read there is a link between leukemia and low folate status. I don't know if knowing that has any bearing on curing active leukemia or just on prevention, but there is at least one study saying folate has a bearing on the type of chemo to choose for leukemia patients. Try a search with "leukemia folate study" and see if anything of interest to you turns up. Then be aware that l-methylfolate is the active form (and not folic acid). Supplementing with folic acid to some genotypes that can't convert it to l=-methylfolate can be problematic.

#14 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

Any updates, mixter?

#15 steven d

• 32 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

You should really try this cancer treatment protocol.

Edited by steven d, 12 April 2010 - 07:37 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

There is a treatment based on methylprednisone.

http://grouppekurosa...lprednisol.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users