Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

AFA - Aphanizomenon Flos Aquae

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Elusive

• 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:35 AM

This AFA algae is like Spirulina ...but spirulina doesn't even come close to what it has done for me...so i feel like sharing it with everyone who want better health!

Aphanizomenon Flos-Aquae (AFA) is 2.5 billion year old Blue-Green algae that has two very special substances called Phycocyanin and Phenylethylamine (PEA). Phycocyanin is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties and supports healthy joint function. PEA appears to be responsible for many reports of heightened mood, mental energy, clarity, concentration, and focus.

I have been taking multivitamins and a few other supplements for the past 5 years and every supplement has a threshhold i found...after sometime (after 2 or 3 months) it will have some sort of untoward or unwanted effect or my body will become saturated by it so i needed to recycle it with some other supplement. I am male, 36 year of age, in good health and exercise 3 times a week. So iwas taking all the supplements to boost energy focus mind power and get anti-againg benefits.

Six months ago a friend of mine introduced me to AFA and i was skeptical in a sense that i had used spirulina and it drained me after 4 or 5 days of contineous intake. But he was swearing by it that AFA cured his lethargy, bad memory, low sexual performance and turned him into a new man. Well i stopped all of y supplements for 3 days and on the 4th day i took the recommended dose of the AFA. After 2 hours i felt a very noticeable surge of energy along with heighted awareness and focus. After half of the day passed i felt a growing lightness in my body with a joyful ease in my movements. Another thing i noticed was that colors seem a little brighter or my vision became very sharp, not that i didnt need my glasses, it was just that i felt more clarity in my vision.

Its been 6 months and i haven't taken anyother supplement or multivitamin and i dont feel the need at all. Plus i have lost 4kgs of weight and it has improved my apprearance as well. Other benefits are my skin has become much vibrant and sexually i have gained more control on when i want to allow myself to orgasm ith my girlfriend. Plus i dont get flu or get sick ....not at least for the last 6 months since i am taking AFA. I love this stuff and would never ever go with out it...its my all in one supplement.

I use two different brands and have found both of them very good. One is called Klamath BlueGreen Algae by [some website]
and the other one is Blue manna and Crystal Manna by [some other website]...this one is a little expensive but i dont give a rats ass about money compared to what it makes me feel :-D

So this is my experience with AFA...All of this happened gradually over 6 months and not in 6 days. I dont know how it will affect you for the better but i swear by it for myself and my friend who introduced me to it tell me everytime...I told you so :)

Edit: removed commercial websites.

Edited by niner, 14 October 2009 - 04:24 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:14 AM

Six months ago a friend of mine introduced me to AFA and i was skeptical in a sense that i had used spirulina and it drained me after 4 or 5 days of contineous intake. But he was swearing by it that AFA cured his lethargy, bad memory, low sexual performance and turned him into a new man. Well i stopped all of y supplements for 3 days and on the 4th day i took the recommended dose of the AFA. After 2 hours i felt a very noticeable surge of energy along with heighted awareness and focus. After half of the day passed i felt a growing lightness in my body with a joyful ease in my movements. Another thing i noticed was that colors seem a little brighter or my vision became very sharp, not that i didnt need my glasses, it was just that i felt more clarity in my vision.
[...]
Its been 6 months and i haven't taken anyother supplement or multivitamin and i dont feel the need at all.
[...]
So this is my experience with AFA...All of this happened gradually over 6 months and not in 6 days.

You say you haven't taken any other supplement in 6 months, but three months ago you were taking supplements.

You say it happens gradually over 6 months, but it sounds like it came on pretty fast, "after half of the day passed". The original post sound like viral marketing, and it seems a little inconsistent.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Elusive

• Topic Starter
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:37 AM

By supplements i meant the multivitamin ....and please dont take it if you think i am try to market it...i said i dont feel the NEED to take other supplement and haven't taken any on a regular basis....let me know further how specific you want me to be love....i was ust sharing a f**king personal story but i guess some people need to attack other people for the arguments sake...i dont need to defend myself as i am not soliciting that everyone should take the algae and not many people do....what do you really want ? I keep experimenting with different substances ...this is how i know them intimately...by using myself as a lab. And i can be exact....because my exact may be way different than yours. But you already know that....right?English is not my first language and sometimes i do make mistakes...but that shouldnt stop me from expressing myself and my findings.

Six months ago a friend of mine introduced me to AFA and i was skeptical in a sense that i had used spirulina and it drained me after 4 or 5 days of contineous intake. But he was swearing by it that AFA cured his lethargy, bad memory, low sexual performance and turned him into a new man. Well i stopped all of my supplements for 3 days and on the 4th day i took the recommended dose of the AFA. After 2 hours i felt a very noticeable surge of energy along with heighted awareness and focus. After half of the day passed i felt a growing lightness in my body with a joyful ease in my movements. Another thing i noticed was that colors seem a little brighter or my vision became very sharp, not that i didnt need my glasses, it was just that i felt more clarity in my vision.
[...]
Its been 6 months and i haven't taken anyother supplement or multivitamin and i dont feel the need at all.
[...]
So this is my experience with AFA...All of this happened gradually over 6 months and not in 6 days.

You say you haven't taken any other supplement in 6 months, but three months ago you were taking supplements.

You say it happens gradually over 6 months, but it sounds like it came on pretty fast, "after half of the day passed". The original post sound like viral marketing, and it seems a little inconsistent.

Edited by lesterlong, 14 October 2009 - 04:46 AM.

#4 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

AFA is probably dangerous - it produces Anatoxin-a, saxitoxins, and cylindrospermopsin when it's dying. I don't recommend ingesting it.

However, I can indirectly corroborate some of what Lester says, WRT mood. About 10 years ago, my dad (not a supplement person) was given an AFA supplement by one of his friends for "energy". Within hours, he felt calm, alert, euphoric, energetic, etc. This effect persisted for the first couple days until what was probably sleep deprivation (and tolerance building?) led to a crash. He experienced this effect on two different occasions before giving up on the supplement.

PEA is rapidly destroyed by MAOB, so I don't think it's that. The most likely explanation seems like contamination with a stimulant, accidental or deliberate. Weird stuff.

#5 Elusive

• Topic Starter
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

I live in toronto canada and here you cant sell any substance in a nutrition store that is dangerous in anyway for health. Canadian laws are much tighter than US, i dont like this fact but that why most of the supplement stuff from the US is not available in Canada. The one i used have increased my vigor and improved my health and i buy it from a well reputed store....i am not sure about other brands of AFA but the brands i use are allowed and sold in Canada without any problems. Thanks.

AFA is probably dangerous - it produces Anatoxin-a, saxitoxins, and cylindrospermopsin when it's dying. I don't recommend ingesting it.

However, I can indirectly corroborate some of what Lester says, WRT mood. About 10 years ago, my dad (not a supplement person) was given an AFA supplement by one of his friends for "energy". Within hours, he felt calm, alert, euphoric, energetic, etc. This effect persisted for the first couple days until what was probably sleep deprivation (and tolerance building?) led to a crash. He experienced this effect on two different occasions before giving up on the supplement.

PEA is rapidly destroyed by MAOB, so I don't think it's that. The most likely explanation seems like contamination with a stimulant, accidental or deliberate. Weird stuff.

#6 Elusive

• Topic Starter
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

Myths about Aphanizomenon flos-aquae

There is much misleading information out there concerning the benefits and safety of AFA. In this section we will address the myths and misconceptions that we have come across and reassure you that our AFA is of the highest quality. Some of the information will be in a question/answer format and some will be commentary on found information.

Isn't algae toxic/poisonous?

There are thousands of different algae species. Some species of algae are toxic and some are not, however there is one single particular species of non-toxic edible nutritional blue-green algae (Cyanophyta) called Aphanizomenon flos-aquae. This species has been eaten by people for thousands of years and has provided great benefits.

The benefits of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae are directly related to the care and attention given to sourcing and harvesting the product. The harvesting is quickly followed by rapid chilling of the AFA to 34 to 37 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, our AFA is Further purified by careful centrifugation, leaving a product chilled and scrupulously clean. AFA Bluegreen Algae is handled more expeditiously from harvest to freezer.

Klamath Lake is polluted and toxic.

Klamath Lake is continually monitored for heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides. There has never been concern, as all tests come back showing the water is acceptable as potable. At 140 square miles, Klamath Lake is the largest inland body of water in the Pacific Northwest, surrounded by privately owned and state owned timberlands, national forests and government-protected land. Residential development is limited to a small portion of the southern tip of the lake. The area from which AFA is harvested is remote from any industrial or residential activity.

It is often thought that lakes are polluted because they have algae growing in them, but this is a myth. The water quality must be good for nutritional species to exist. AFA is a nutritional specie of cyanophyta and is considered safe for human consumption and considered an agricultural product by the Oregon Department of Agriculture Food and Safety Division.

AFA is a liver toxin.

This myth happens because of a lack of education and a lack of understanding of the different species of algae. AFA is a nutritional specie of cyanophyta and is considered safe for human consumption and considered an agricultural product by the Oregon Department of Agriculture Food and Safety Division. There are tens of thousands of species of algae. Of blue-green algae, some species are toxic, some are not, and a few are considered nutritional sources. AFA cyanophyta has been consumed for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years. In our current culture, this specific source of AFA harvested from Klamath Lake has been used for more than 25 years, including in clinical settings with notable doctors.

The specie of algae that is a liver toxin is not AFA, it is called Microcystis aeruginosa. It occurs in nearly every body of water, including our public drinking water. The Oregon Department of Agriculture has set a safe level of less than one part per million as acceptable in algae products. It is interesting to note that we must abide by these figures, but there are no set figures for your public drinking water.

There are side effects.

Side effects are talked about when referring to pharmaceutical drugs. AFA is a whole food resulting only in cleansing and detoxification of the body. As AFA contains chlorophyll, and high amounts of chlorophyll are known to cleanse the body, the body’s house cleaning, or detoxification, occurs when ingesting AFA. To ensure that the toxins are gently cleansed from the body’s systems, we always recommend that people drink at least ½ ounce of pure water per pound of their body weight each day and start by taking smaller amounts of AFA, Powder or Capsules, unless they are eating a healthy organic diet, in which case they can consume any amount of AFA that feels right for them.

People shouldn’t eat pond scum.

That’s correct. Algae growing in ponds, swimming pools, etc. may not be safe for human consumption. AFA is a nutritional specie of cyanophyta and is considered safe for human consumption and considered an agricultural product by the Oregon Department of Agriculture Food and Safety Division. There are tens of thousands of species of algae. Of blue-green algae, some species are toxic, some are not, and a few are considered nutritional sources. AFA cyanophyta has been consumed for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years. In our current culture, this specific source of AFA harvested from Klamath Lake has been used for more than 25 years, including in clinical settings.

#7 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

Detection of microcystin synthetase genes in health food supplements containing the freshwater cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon flos-aquae
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
SAKER M. L. (1) ; JUNGBLUT A.-D. (2) ; NEILAN B. A. (2) ; RAWN D. F. K. (3) ; VASCONCELOS V. M. (1 4) ;

Résumé / Abstract
In this study we investigated the presence of toxin-producing cyanobacterial contaminants in food supplements manufactured from blooms of the non-toxic freshwater cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon flos-aquae. Previous reports investigating the contamination of health food supplements with toxin-producing cyanobacteria have used chemical and or biochemical methods such as HPLC, ELISA and protein phosphatase assays. Whilst these studies have drawn attention to the presence of hepatotoxic microcystins in some commercially available food supplements, the methods used do not provide any information on the source of the contaminant. Such information would be useful for the quality control of food supplements produced for human consumption. In this study we applied a molecular technique, involving the amplification of the 16s rRNA gene, the phycocyanin operon, and two genes of the microcystin synthetase gene cluster to show that all 12 food supplement samples, sourced from various internet distributors and containing non-toxic A. flos-aquae, also contained toxigenic cyanobacteria. Sequencing of the microcystin synthetase genes detected in all of the food supplements showed that M. aeruginosa was the organism responsible for the production of microcystins in the samples. The presence of microcystins in the food supplements was confirmed by ELISA, with concentrations within the range of 0.1-4.72 pg g-1 (microcystin-LR equivalents). Given that the molecular methods applied here are highly sensitive, and show good agreement with the results obtained from ELISA, we believe that they could potentially be used as a quality control technique for food products that contain cyanobacteria.
------

First report on cylindrospermopsin producing Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (Cyanobacteria) isolated from two German lakes

Karina Preußela, Posted Image, Posted Image, Anke Stüken[url="http://"http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TCS-4HSY4HY-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=ea806231e6d6fca48599c6cf9d292a20#aff2""]b[/url], Claudia Wiednerb, Ingrid Chorusa and Jutta Fastnera

aFederal Environmental Agency, FG II 3.3, Corrensplatz 1, 14195 Berlin, Germany

<a name="aff2">bDepartment of Limnology of Stratified Lakes, Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Alte Fischerhütte 2, 16775 Stechlin, Germany

Received 29 June 2005; revised 12 October 2005; accepted 15 October 2005. Available online 13 December 2005.
<h3 class="h3">Abstract</h3>Three single-filament isolates of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae from two German lakes were found to produce remarkable amounts of the cyanobacterial hepatotoxin cylindrospermopsin (CYN). CYN-synthesis of the strains were evidenced both by LC-MS/MS analysis and detection of PCR products of gene fragments which are implicated in the biosynthesis of the toxin. The strains contain CYN in the range of 2.3–6.6 mg g−1 of cellular dry weight. To our knowledge this is the first report of CYN in A. flos-aquae.

--------

[Effect of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae toxins on some blood physiological parameters in mice]
[Article in Chinese]

Chen Y, Liu J, Yang W. College of Life Science and Technology, Jinan University, Guangzhou 510632, China.

In order to study the toxic effect of STX on mouse's blood with time lapse, STX from Aphanizomenon flosaquae was collected and the effect of toxins on physiological parameters of blood was measured by analyzing changes in cells and components in blood. Results showed that the blood parameters in mice changed after 0.5, 6, 12 and 24 hours respectively when mice were exposed to 0.5 Mu/ml Saxitoxin (STX). The numbers of red blood cell, Hemoglobin and platelet had little changed, while the number of white cells showed evident change, especially within 30 minutes. The more time extended, the less change of white cells had, namely, the effect of STX on some blood physiological parameters in mice became weaker with time spent. After 24 hours, almost all the blood physiological parameters in mice recovered to the normal level. Therefore, it can be concluded that both of STX and acid had toxic effects on blood of mice. When STX (0.5 Mu/ml, at pH5.3) were injected into blood, STX had the toxic effect within 12 hours, and after that, acid had.

PMID: 12914277 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Edit: cleanup.

Edited by VespeneGas, 14 October 2009 - 03:44 PM.

#8 Elusive

• Topic Starter
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:27 AM

Thanks Gas...good research! I appreciate your feelings for my posts!

I only have one question...if AFA is that bad a poison for human health then HOW COME REPUTED COMPANIES LIKE NOWFOODS, SOURCE NATURAL AND HEALTH-FORCE NUTRITIONALS ARE SELLING THEIR AFA IN OUR CANADIAN MARKET? Do you know that Canada has a free health care system which is top notch by any standards and for this reason they dont allow any product to be sold over-the-counter if it has any bad side effects or has short or long term health risk (like hormones, glandulars or disease causing agents) because government will have to pay for the hospitalization and treatment. And because these companies are allowed to sell their AFA over-the-counter in Canada and where i buy it from, that store has a great reputation and has numerous happy healthy and delighted customers of AFA for the past 7 years, I guess that's a good testimony for me! Since i have started taking it, i have felt more enegy, clarity of thinking and a joyful mood all the time, plus a friend of mine at work used to get sick all the time with bad flu attacks, i shared with him this stuff...he bought it the next day and its a month now ...he hasn't got any flu yet plus he feels more energy and stamina...good going i guess ! Plus i have never come across even one study that ever implicated AFA as a disease causing agent in Humans who have taken AFA in capsules or powdered form as a dietary supplement. All i have heard is great health benefits from people who take it.

Detection of microcystin synthetase genes in health food supplements containing the freshwater cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon flos-aquae
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
SAKER M. L. (1) ; JUNGBLUT A.-D. (2) ; NEILAN B. A. (2) ; RAWN D. F. K. (3) ; VASCONCELOS V. M. (1 4) ;

Résumé / Abstract
In this study we investigated the presence of toxin-producing cyanobacterial contaminants in food supplements manufactured from blooms of the non-toxic freshwater cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon flos-aquae. Previous reports investigating the contamination of health food supplements with toxin-producing cyanobacteria have used chemical and or biochemical methods such as HPLC, ELISA and protein phosphatase assays. Whilst these studies have drawn attention to the presence of hepatotoxic microcystins in some commercially available food supplements, the methods used do not provide any information on the source of the contaminant. Such information would be useful for the quality control of food supplements produced for human consumption. In this study we applied a molecular technique, involving the amplification of the 16s rRNA gene, the phycocyanin operon, and two genes of the microcystin synthetase gene cluster to show that all 12 food supplement samples, sourced from various internet distributors and containing non-toxic A. flos-aquae, also contained toxigenic cyanobacteria. Sequencing of the microcystin synthetase genes detected in all of the food supplements showed that M. aeruginosa was the organism responsible for zthe production of microcystins in the samples. The presence of microcystins in the food supplements was confirmed by ELISA, with concentrations within the range of 0.1-4.72 pg g-1 (microcystin-LR equivalents). Given that the molecular methods applied here are highly sensitive, and show good agreement with the results obtained from ELISA, we believe that they could potentially be used as a quality control technique for food products that contain cyanobacteria.
------

First report on cylindrospermopsin producing Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (Cyanobacteria) isolated from two German lakes

Karina Preußela, Posted Image, Posted Image, Anke Stüken[url="http://"http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TCS-4HSY4HY-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=ea806231e6d6fca48599c6cf9d292a20#aff2""]b[/url], Claudia Wiednerb, Ingrid Chorusa and Jutta Fastnera

aFederal Environmental Agency, FG II 3.3, Corrensplatz 1, 14195 Berlin, Germany

<a name="aff2">bDepartment of Limnology of Stratified Lakes, Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Alte Fischerhütte 2, 16775 Stechlin, Germany

Received 29 June 2005; revised 12 October 2005; accepted 15 October 2005. Available online 13 December 2005.
<h3 class="h3">Abstract</h3>Three single-filament isolates of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae from two German lakes were found to produce remarkable amounts of the cyanobacterial hepatotoxin cylindrospermopsin (CYN). CYN-synthesis of the strains were evidenced both by LC-MS/MS analysis and detection of PCR products of gene fragments which are implicated in the biosynthesis of the toxin. The strains contain CYN in the range of 2.3–6.6 mg g−1 of cellular dry weight. To our knowledge this is the first report of CYN in A. flos-aquae.

--------

[Effect of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae toxins on some blood physiological parameters in mice]
[Article in Chinese]

Chen Y, Liu J, Yang W. College of Life Science and Technology, Jinan University, Guangzhou 510632, China.

In order to study the toxic effect of STX on mouse's blood with time lapse, STX from Aphanizomenon flosaquae was collected and the effect of toxins on physiological parameters of blood was measured by analyzing changes in cells and components in blood. Results showed that the blood parameters in mice changed after 0.5, 6, 12 and 24 hours respectively when mice were exposed to 0.5 Mu/ml Saxitoxin (STX). The numbers of red blood cell, Hemoglobin and platelet had little changed, while the number of white cells showed evident change, especially within 30 minutes. The more time extended, the less change of white cells had, namely, the effect of STX on some blood physiological parameters in mice became weaker with time spent. After 24 hours, almost all the blood physiological parameters in mice recovered to the normal level. Therefore, it can be concluded that both of STX and acid had toxic effects on blood of mice. When STX (0.5 Mu/ml, at pH5.3) were injected into blood, STX had the toxic effect within 12 hours, and after that, acid had.

PMID: 12914277 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Edit: cleanup.

#9 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:20 AM

Maybe it eliminates all psychological and physical disease, and is purer than driven snow. I'm just posting the evidence as I find it (not from product websites). I find that there is compelling anecdotal evidence in favor of just about any compound or mixture you could name, but it's just not good evidence.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 algae

• 55 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

I was concerned about this also, because I LOVE this algae, it makes me feel so great! What about AFA that has been tested for microcystin content? Also bear in mind AFA contains phycocyanin, the only compound known (at least to alternative practitioners) to regenerate the kidneys, which is what I remember microcystin is known to damage, correct?

Microcystin levels have tested to be less than .5 ppm (parts per million); less than .5 ppm is below safe levels established by research.

https://www.healthfo...8&category_id=1
  • dislike x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users