Photo
- - - - -

Bacopa, is it any good?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

Looking at adding some Bacopa to my stack as I have been hearing good things about it.

What results have people got from it?

#2 Viscid

• 40 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Looking at adding some Bacopa to my stack as I have been hearing good things about it.

What results have people got from it?

I tried bacopa exclusively for about a month and a half, and noticed a difference in long-term, episodic recall. There was also a mild mood enhancement and less anxiety.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

It's one of the only nootropics that has worked for me with regular use. I also sleep very well if I take it about 90 minutes before I go to bed. I would say that your best bet is to use extracts with 20% bacosides. Apparently, new evidence is emerging that the nootropic effects are a result of the activity of other compounds in the extract besides bacoside A+B. Unfortunately, a quick search I performed on the boards does not turn up the thread that discusses this issue. I will edit this post later when I can find the thread, otherwise I will delete this comment if I cannot find any discussion or evidence for this claim. However, this thread is worth reading: http://www.imminst.o...o...acopa&st=40

#4 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:29 AM

Its awesome, and its effects on memory are well documented in multiple studies. I agree you should take it before bed. The memory effects are cumulative and long-term. The anxiolytic effects were mild for me, but present.

#5 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Does it cause excessive sleep?

Edited by matthias7, 25 October 2009 - 07:18 PM.

#6 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

Does it cause excessive sleep?

Can anybody give their opinion on its libido qualities?? I've tried doing a google search and it doesn't appear to bring up much related to this area. Information on this herb seems to be quite dry and most of what you read comes from the companies who are selling this stuff. I'm really suprised as I've come across test results (I can find the link if anyone wants it) suggesting that it has zero effect on male libido. If you do a google search you will also notice that it is advertised as a 'female libido enhancer'. Now surely I can be the only guy here who experiences a huge increase in libido when I take Bacopa??? The increase in desire is incredible for me. The only thing I can relate it to is back when I was just hitting puberty. Anyone else on here notice any effects with libido? It does interest me as I notice that some of these herbal sexual products usually contain bacopa (usually alongside such herbs as rhodiola, tribulus,etc).
In terms of other effects it also sedates me which I don't find to be a good sensation (like you would get from benzo's). I presume this is the anti-anxiety effect but it's more debilatating for me (I like to get going during my day but in a realxed way - if this makes sense?!). I only have only been taking 300mg for about 4 days and the sedation effect is still quite pronounced so I'm considering switching this to night time usage like a lot of people on here seem to do. Oh and so far in terms of memory recall I have noticed my short term memory seems to be pretty up to speed (more than usual considering my duration on citalopram seemed to mess with this area quite considerably).
Bacopa hopefully will be my replacement for piracetam which induced a horrible depressive episode for me. I think if you are an individual going through moderate-high depression you should stay away from piracetam because the constant thoughts that go through your head get turned up a few gears.

#7 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

Yeah... its called icariin (HGW) rather than Bacopa. Longjack and maca are a little similar but not Bacopa. Then again never tried Bacopa.

Sedates like benzo... yuk.... just ordered it.

#8 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Bacopa is often seen as a sedative. It definitely helps me sleep, and because the nootropic and adaptogenic effects seem to be long-term, I take it at night. I actually think I'm seeing an improvement, however it could be due to increased duration of sleep.

Icariin = active ingredient of epimedium (HGW). You might want to be careful that it doesn't slow down your Thyroid T4-T3 conversion. I've read that this can happen, pushing the Reverse T3 up. It's unclear whether this is the result of the Icariin or something else in the HGW (if the latter, then a 99% Icariin might be good). There are some other conflicting sources of information stating that it will boost thyroid activity.

Edit: One thing I'm noticing is that many people are seeing less of an effect from the Bacopa products standardized to 50% Bacosides A/B. This may be because there are other active bacosides, and perhaps there are still other active constituents in the plant. The effect is also dose-dependent, however past a certain point there will quite possibly be negative effects. I believe I read that oxidation of Glutathione was reduced with low/moderate dosage, and slightly increased at high doses. This was in a thread on this forum (recently) - so do some searching and you'll find the study.

Edited by VampIyer, 25 October 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#9 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:43 AM

Yeah... its called icariin (HGW) rather than Bacopa. Longjack and maca are a little similar but not Bacopa. Then again never tried Bacopa.

Sedates like benzo... yuk.... just ordered it.

Yeah its quite sedating. But there's no reason not to take it at night. Gives you more restful sleep and the benefits are only long-term anyways. The duration of action doesn't matter. For the record I have never noticed any libido changes while taking bacopa, but I've taken it so regularly and so long term its hard to tell.

#10 AlexInf

• 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:08 AM

Edit: One thing I'm noticing is that many people are seeing less of an effect from the Bacopa products standardized to 50% Bacosides A/B. This may be because there are other active bacosides, and perhaps there are still other active constituents in the plant. The effect is also dose-dependent, however past a certain point there will quite possibly be negative effects. I believe I read that oxidation of Glutathione was reduced with low/moderate dosage, and slightly increased at high doses. This was in a thread on this forum (recently) - so do some searching and you'll find the study.

Was this what you were talking about? (first post)
http://www.imminst.o...o...acopa&st=40

The study mentions 100 micrograms/ml:
"Interestingly Brahmi only slightly protected the autooxidation and FeSO4 induced oxidation of reduced glutathione on lower doses 100 micrograms/ml and below, but on higher concentrations it enhanced the rate of oxidation. "

I'm currently taking the 50% standardised one (from AOR) - how would I relate that to micrograms/ml as in the linked comment?

#11 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

Its awesome, and its effects on memory are well documented in multiple studies. I agree you should take it before bed. The memory effects are cumulative and long-term. The anxiolytic effects were mild for me, but present.

How would you say bacopa fairs against other, more well known memory enhancers like hydergine or the racetams? It'd be interesting to know since to my understanding bacopa is legal here in EU whereas most other nootropics require prescription.

#12 Davevanza

• 50 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

I tried Brahmi ( Bacopa M ), found that, its effect was like a herbal anticonvulsant.

Anticonvulsants are drugs that is used for epilepsy, partly work by stabilising the electrical imbalance in our brain system.

I felt relaxed after taking Brahmi, almost the same like when I took a smart-drug Dilantin ( Phenytoin ) 100mg, an anticonvulsant with no sedative effect. It doesn't sharpen our memory, it only helps me to get rid of " distracting thought " when I'm trying to focus on a task. Without it, I would sometimes be nervous and my thought is distracted and scattered.

As with Dilantin, it has a very long half life, and stored in the frontal part of our brain. So, I found that, when I took a bit too much ( in this case, the amount that is prescribed for epileptic patients, 100-300mg/day ), I developed headache.
But this didn't happen with Brahmi. I only found that it loses its effectiveness after about 3 months of continuous use.

#13 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Icariin = active ingredient of epimedium (HGW). You might want to be careful that it doesn't slow down your Thyroid T4-T3 conversion. I've read that this can happen, pushing the Reverse T3 up. It's unclear whether this is the result of the Icariin or something else in the HGW (if the latter, then a 99% Icariin might be good). There are some other conflicting sources of information stating that it will boost thyroid activity.

I've just done a massive cycle of icariin (google "icariin log"). There were no thyroid problems I shed body fat but that was due to general diet running long before hand. There are no reports of recomposition amongst guys I know that used it and being fitness guys its the first thing they'd notice.

Edited by matthias7, 26 October 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#14 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

I tried Brahmi ( Bacopa M ), found that, its effect was like a herbal anticonvulsant.

I felt relaxed after taking Brahmi, almost the same like when I took a smart-drug Dilantin ( Phenytoin ) 100mg, an anticonvulsant with no sedative effect.

Thanks... could be okay as a sleep supplement. Bit wary of it now.

#15 Imagination

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have ordersd some, but still not got it though yet.

So taking it at night would have nootopic benifits the following day? I'm not sure how the mechanics of it work cognitively after searching. Does it stack well with the racetams or should it be one or the other?

#16 alexd

• 106 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Its good. No libido effects for me. It brings memory into focus. I found the extract more effective. I ordered a non extract and found I had to take 2x to get a similar effect although after a period of about 3 weeks I now suspect it is probably as good at the higher dose. I also take modafinal and the effects are additive.

#17 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have ordersd some, but still not got it though yet.

So taking it at night would have nootopic benifits the following day? I'm not sure how the mechanics of it work cognitively after searching. Does it stack well with the racetams or should it be one or the other?

It will stack fine with racetams. Its not that taking it at night will give you benefits the following day, its much more long term than that. Take it regularly and after 2 months or so your long-term memory retention will be better. And it will be better all the time. Its very long term.

#18 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

Has anyone else had the experience that Bacopa's effects wore off after extended use? (I'm especially concerned about the anxiolytic properties wearing off over time.)

#19 Jochen

• 157 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

would be keen to find out the long term effects now as well.

Since this has been taken for 3-4 years I hope we can get more feedback.

Thanks in advance folks!

#20 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Has anyone else had the experience that Bacopa's effects wore off after extended use? (I'm especially concerned about the anxiolytic properties wearing off over time.)

It did not wear of completely but I felt it got weaker (or maybe my anxiety had gotten stronger). I also found that the low motivation from it got stronger over time...

#21 xeon

• 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

I really hope there is not a tolerance to the anxiolytic effects.

#22 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

It did not wear of completely but I felt it got weaker (or maybe my anxiety had gotten stronger). I also found that the low motivation from it got stronger over time...

Yeah the low motivation. It makes me feel terribly dull. It also nauseates me, an effect that also seems to get worse over time. On the positive side it makes me mellow and therefore a little more social. Not worth it though..

#23 Grafgever

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

Took it for a few months first in mornings later in evenings. Himalaya brand. Took higher than recommend dosage as well (double) for a while. Unfortunately I noticed effect :(. Does seem to have good studies and anecdotes behind it though. Just think it doesn't work for everyone. The brain is so complex and so many things influence so many other things that you can't ever be sure what an effect will be.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

You might try swapping brands. Going to NOW or Jarrow, then Swanson, and then root powder as a last resort. The NOW brand has around 20mg of extract.

Then it all comes down to why you're taking it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users