• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Veggie Caps or Gelatin?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Veggie Caps or Gelatin? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Veggie Cap, Gelatin, Other?

1. Vegetarian Capsules (39 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. Gelatin Capsules (6 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Other (Explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

While we wait for more detailed ingredient polls, how about a simple one to begin with, to at least keep eyes focused on the project. Veggie caps or not? I have no preference but I know there are a lot of vegetarians in our group. The only difference is cost. Looks like veggie caps cost about 20% more. It is just a small fraction of the cost, but something to be considered. Since Revgenetics is the most interested in manufacturing the product, it would be nice if Anthony also chimed in.

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

I prefer veggie, unless it adds significantly to the cost. So much so that it'd actually impact sales, which I don't see it doing.

And it may help sales overall, seeing as you can market it to vegetarians too.

Edited by nameless, 28 October 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

veggie caps are the way to go..its pointless to exclude such a large portion of the health oriented community. the extra cost for capsules, which in reality would be a fraction of a cent overall, would be made up by regular vegetarian customers such as myself buying the product on a regular basis for years

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

veggie caps are the way to go..its pointless to exclude such a large portion of the health oriented community. the extra cost for capsules, which in reality would be a fraction of a cent overall, would be made up by regular vegetarian customers such as myself buying the product on a regular basis for years

I suspect that this is the argument that will carry the day. I'm curious, though, what the reasoning behind it is. Is there a health-based argument, or is it strictly an ethical argument?

#5 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

Perusing my, ahem, impressive collection of various supplements, it appears most of my sups are veggie caps.

Edited by pycnogenol, 28 October 2009 - 10:51 PM.

#6 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:51 PM

It seems like a wise choice to choose veggie caps...like ajna said, why exclude a large potential group of consumers? It'll be interesteing to see a cost breakdown...very excited to see this project moving along so quick!

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:52 AM

I suspect that this is the argument that will carry the day. I'm curious, though, what the reasoning behind it is. Is there a health-based argument, or is it strictly an ethical argument?

for me personally, being vegetarian is an ethical choice... but there are enough health based reasons for me to write you an essay.

#8 waldemar

• 206 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

While I don't have a personal preference, I voted for veggie caps. Gelatin caps only cost minimally less, and they exclude a large segment of potential customers.

#9 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

i'll vote veggie as well simply so we can be more inclusive. plus, considering that the amount of capsules it would take to crank out a purchasable product like this, i imagine that the cost difference would be almost negligible given that it would have to be bulk capsule purchases anyway.

one thought did cross my mind, however. due to the number of skeptics out there who really don't have that much faith in the efficacy of vitamins or think that we're just a bunch of "alternative medicine health nuts," could the use of a veggie-cap possibly put off some of those boarderline-skeptics who think anything out-of-the-ordinary from the standard multivitamin-tablet is just unnecessary?

oh! what about colored capsules (check out capsuline)? i know that the price of colored capsules is considerably more than clear caps, but it could certainly give the product more of a "medicine" look.

#10 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:26 AM

oh! what about colored capsules (check out capsuline)? i know that the price of colored capsules is considerably more than clear caps, but it could certainly give the product more of a "medicine" look.

Look and feel of a product is often tremendously important to it's success in the market place.

#11 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

Look and feel of a product is often tremendously important to it's success in the market place.

agreed. i think one of the reasons Life Extension has done so well is that their product does have a strong "medicine" feel to it.

#12 shazam

• 197 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

Hey, if this doesn't mean the price gets pumped way up, I am all for veggie caps. And this is a good argument for both :)

#13 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Unless you get your mk-4 and mk-7 from natto or other vegetarian sources, you will already be losing a significant portion of the supplement market.

#14 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Gelatin makes my breath smell funny when in foods so I'm sure it would do the same from caps. [possibly???] So i vote VCAPS

#15 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

Another thing to consider is whether or not stearic acid or stearates are used in the encapsulation process. I've ordered Thorne Research's curcumin product Meriva-SR, and they included some literature in which they claimed that the reason most manufacturers include stearic acid and/or stearates in their pills is because, since stearic acid is a highly saturated fatty acid, it helps keep the encapsultion machines lubricated. Thus, it helps prevent capsules from getting stuck in the moving parts of the machinery. The problem with that, they say, is that the stearic acid and stearates block a significant portion of the contents within the pills from being absorbed. So, it would be a good idea to find someone who can fill the capsules without those things.

#16 2525

• 60 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

these should be pills in most natural close to nature pills, without adding of plastic of other ingredients which may give
unknown toxicity or unknown side effects

#17 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:34 AM

these should be pills in most natural close to nature pills, without adding of plastic of other ingredients which may give
unknown toxicity or unknown side effects

Your choices in veggie caps are modified cellulose (hydroxypropylmethylcellulose , sometimes also called hypromellose) or pullulan. Both are available and both just use purified water as the only other ingredient. Pullulan has a reputation of being harder to work with as in breaking in the machinery more often. Modified cellulose is the most commonly used veggie cap and it works almost as good as gelatin and is a bit lower in moisture than gelatin (which is a good thing for water sensitive vitamins).

Magnesium stearate and stearic acid are indeed lubricants that keep the powder from sticking and building up on the machinery during encapsulation. Without lubricants you can end up with buildup on the machinery that can lead to problems up to and including getting metal shavings in the mix. Too much lubricant can waterproof the powder and lead to poor disintegration and dissolution but isn't a problem if the usage level is kept to the small amounts of the formula that are typically used. As long as the plan is to have a QC check of disintegration or dissolution then you shouldn't be afraid to use a lubricant like mag stearate or stearic acid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users