Photo
- - - - -

Magnesium Stearate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:47 AM

I am reacting with an allergy to supplements that contain "magnesium stearate (from a vegetable source)", yet I can take supplements that contain just standard magnesium stearate.

I think I also have a soy allergy, so could they be pulling the vegetable source of magnesium stearate from soy and that's why i am reacting?

Also, is the magnesium stearate a constituent of the capsule or actual powdered supplement?

If someone is allergic to magnesium stearate, could they crack open the capsule and put the powder into something like apple sauce and consume it without ingesting magnesium stearate?

Edited by k4t, 09 November 2009 - 04:51 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:28 AM

I am reacting with an allergy to supplements that contain "magnesium stearate (from a vegetable source)", yet I can take supplements that contain just standard magnesium stearate.

I think I also have a soy allergy, so could they be pulling the vegetable source of magnesium stearate from soy and that's why i am reacting?

Also, is the magnesium stearate a constituent of the capsule or actual powdered supplement?

If someone is allergic to magnesium stearate, could they crack open the capsule and put the powder into something like apple sauce and consume it without ingesting magnesium stearate?

Mag stearate is used as a flow agent. It is a waxy compound that coats the particles and helps them to flow in the capping machine. It can be made by hydrogenating cottonseed or palm oil. I don't know if it is made from soy or not. It's not part of the capsule, at any rate. It's in the powder. If you only react to "vegetarian" magnesium stearate, you should probably just go with the regular stuff.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bocadillodelomo

• 49 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

hi,

how did you narrow it down to mag stearate/ what are you symptoms?

#4 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

If someone is allergic to magnesium stearate, could they crack open the capsule and put the powder into something like apple sauce and consume it without ingesting magnesium stearate?[/quote]
Mag stearate is used as a flow agent. It is a waxy compound that coats the particles and helps them to flow in the capping machine. It can be made by hydrogenating cottonseed or palm oil. I don't know if it is made from soy or not. It's not part of the capsule, at any rate. It's in the powder. If you only react to "vegetarian" magnesium stearate, you should probably just go with the regular stuff.

hydrogenating oil? almost all supplements have stearates as fillers. considering the number of pills taken everyday. the amount of trans fat consumed is scary...

#5 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

If he is right, I am sure he means as a byproduct. This does not mean you are consuming trans fats.

#6 SATANICAT

• 128 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

I've read on several places that some people, who have soy allergies, get skin rashes from almost all vegetable "Stearates". And, yeah, "Stearates" are by-products of hydrogenated vegetable oils.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:28 AM

Magnesium stearate is just the magnesium salt of stearic acid. They didn't use to control the source of the stearic acid back in the day and it was bought and sold as a commodity whether it came from beef tallow or if it came from vegetable oil. Then, after mad cows happened, they started controlling the sourcing and kept vegetable oil sourced stearic acid separate from beef tallow sourced stearic acid and it became popular to say Magnesium Stearate (vegetable sourced) on product labels for a while. Now some say it and some don't, but basically it might still be vegetable sourced even if it doesn't say so. If they use beef tallow sourced stearic acid they have to keep records of the sources and have BSE certificates to guarantee it is free from mad cows disease and even that it is from countries that allow the import of cow derived ingredients and it gets hard because one country allows imports only from certain other countries and it varies from country to country. If you get my point, it becomes too hard to control a commodity like stearic acid if you use beef tallow derived stearic acid so a lot of it is veggie sourced even if it doesn't say so on the label.

As far as soy allergy, anything derived from refined vegetable oil isn't considered to have allergic potential because it doesn't contain any protein and therefore doesn't have to be listed as an allergen or that it contains soy because the allergins are in the protein, not the oil.

By the way, Magnesium stearate is considered to be a safe lubricant for powders to make tablets and capsules with and, unless too much is used, shouldn't really cause any problems with the finished products. If too much is used then it can waterproof the powder and make disintegration or dissolution slow and block absorption of the actives. However, most products are formulated with just a small amount (like 1 to 3 percent or so) and the products are tested for disintegration to make sure there are no problems.

Edited by MrSpud, 19 March 2010 - 04:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users