Photo
- - - - -

Alpha-Lipoic Acid and urine odour

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:43 AM

I've been using ALA from various producers for about 2 years.

The strength has been from 50 mg to 275 mg.

The first urination after taking ALA always has a certain odour. The odour is the same independent of producer.

With my current product, which is composed of 50 % R-ALA and 50 % S-ALA, the odour is also often attached to the second urination

Based on correspondence with one of the manufacturers, I am informed that ALA does not usually produce any odour.

Am I the only one having this reaction?

Is this in any way bad? I just thought that what was "too much" for the body was washed out through the urine.....

#2 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hmmmm, I think I've noticed the same thing since starting ALA. I remember thinking to myself, "Why does my piss smell like a fish tank?".

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

Hmmmm, I think I've noticed the same thing since starting ALA. I remember thinking to myself, "Why does my piss smell like a fish tank?".

He,he. Yes, that could describe the odour ;)

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

Well, ALA is a sulfur compound. No telling what if anything it's metabolized to, but sulfur compounds can be on the smelly side. Different people will occasionally metabolize the same compound in different ways.

#5 aim1

• 102 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Got aspargus?

#6 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

I've noticed this as well. I think this is normal for ALA.

Edited by kurt9, 09 December 2009 - 09:59 PM.

#7 donjoe

• 153 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

Yep, same here. Very noticeable difference in smell.

But what's weirder for me is that I think it also affects my perception of the smell of citric volatile oils. All of a sudden, oranges smell to me like some kind of strange disgusting industrial waste, although they look fine physically and taste OK in my mouth. I may have come upon a bad batch, but I don't think so - I don't remember ever having smelled something like this before and it started around the time I began my 250/day R-ALA.

I'll have to try smelling some other citruses to make sure.

Edited by donjoe, 25 February 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#8 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

This is normal for racemic ALA, never had it personally with NA R-ALA.

#9 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:43 AM

Yes, this is normal for ALA as it is a Sulfur compound. The urine smell is the Sulfur coming out.

#10 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2021 - 05:02 AM

I noticed vitamins, b vitamins make my pee smell bad. as opposed to it smelling like fruit because of excess in urine.

I think its because if you have a lot of toxins (due to vitamin defiency etc)  and ingest b vitamins it will make your pee bad until your all clear.

Edited by kurdishfella, 21 March 2021 - 05:06 AM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#11 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2022 - 12:08 PM

Vitamin c is the best for all kinds of odours. And tyrosine for better smell. Lingering food in gut or teeth can cause bad bacteria and smell unless your mouth takes care of it first if easy to do. Under tongue tentacle like tumours cause for concern.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2022 - 06:49 AM

Sodium affects urine smell too. all nutrients do in some ways from small to bigger.

a healthy person overall should smell everywhere as a newborn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users