Photo
- - - - -

Probiotic content of kimchi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frederickson

• 281 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

I have recently been eating a tremendous amount of kimchi prepared by the owners of a local Asian grocery. I find it delicious, but the initial reason I purchased it was because it supposedly contains a wide variety of probiotic bacteria incurred from the fermentation process.

http://dwb.unl.edu/T...re.kr/2-1-5.htm

I was curious if anyone knew how the probiotic content of kimchi might compare to yogurt, kefir, or other fermented products?

#2 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

I have recently been eating a tremendous amount of kimchi prepared by the owners of a local Asian grocery. I find it delicious, but the initial reason I purchased it was because it supposedly contains a wide variety of probiotic bacteria incurred from the fermentation process.

I was curious if anyone knew how the probiotic content of kimchi might compare to yogurt, kefir, or other fermented products?

Don't know, but if you're having a lot of it, you might want to look into the salt/nitrate content as well as Koreans that eat a lot of kimchi get more stomach cancer.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 frederickson

• Topic Starter
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:17 AM

Don't know, but if you're having a lot of it, you might want to look into the salt/nitrate content as well as Koreans that eat a lot of kimchi get more stomach cancer.

does freshly prepared kimchi have nitrates? this kimchi is not shipped in from somewhere else and preserved, it is prepared on premises. not sure if that makes a difference.

where did you see that koreans that eat kimchi often get stomach cancer?

#4 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

where did you see that koreans that eat kimchi often get stomach cancer?

google. :-D

As for whether freshly prepared kimchi would have the same potential problems, I just don't know.

#5 bocadillodelomo

• 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

It is said that eastern asians have more elevated incidents of digestive problems, but it's most definitely not the small amount of kimchi that they eat as a side dish. It MIGHT be due to a) parasites or other things that have been around up until the last 20 years or so when these countries started to develop. b) heavy alcohol use in the culture. though there are no ties of alcohol directly to cancer, alcohol that is used heavily especially in those of asian cultures can lead to atrophic gastritis, ulcers and a whole bunch of other issues.

fermented food does not cause stomach cancer. if it did, nearly every region other than the west would have higher incidents of stomach cancer, including the mid east with yogurt, europe, russia, latin america, pretty much everywhere.

I will say that along with parasites, hpylori could be implicated frankly because if you look at the stats, those who are recorded as dying, dead or having digestive issues/cancers in asian countries are most likely older (post 45) and from a different generation, a generation that probably did not have the hygenic and medical development that was only recently established about 30 years ago.

Edited by bocadillodelomo, 07 February 2010 - 02:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users