• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

If you could only take one supplement, which would it be?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Let's say you lost almost all your money, but could afford 1 supplement, and one supplement only. Which supplement would you buy?

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

Do you think this will help you choose the best supplement(s)? I hope not.
If, yes, then I strongly disapprove of this false dillemma. I take all of my pills, because all of my pills are beneficial. And I'd want to take 'em as a polypill if I had to take just one (let's ignore pharmakokinetics for a second)

Now if you are asking just for the fun of it, I am even more puzzled. How would I choose? I would probably roll the dice between my standalone supplements.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

Vitamin D & aspirin. Cheap, cheap, cheap. And 2 all-stars. Combined they're 1/3 of the price of most other "one" supplements.

#4 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

No, I believe in the synergy effect of supplements. However; more money on my hands normally leads to new types of supplements. If I suddenly have to be more careful with my expenditures, I am always faced with the decision of which supplement to terminate first. Money vs belived effect vs research etc. When I started on supplementation 22 years ago I only took vitamin C, and I would believe that I probably would choose vitamin C again as my only supplement once more if I had to. Maybe with Alpha-Lipoic Acid breathing in its neck.

#5 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

Vitamin D & aspirin. Cheap, cheap, cheap. And 2 all-stars. Combined they're 1/3 of the price of most other "one" supplements.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would a combination of Vitamin D and aspirin be useful?

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

If I had to pick one? Probably vitamin D.

#7 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

If, yes, then I strongly disapprove of this false dillemma. I take all of my pills, because all of my pills are beneficial. And I'd want to take 'em as a polypill if I had to take just one (let's ignore pharmakokinetics for a second)

Now if you are asking just for the fun of it, I am even more puzzled. How would I choose? I would probably roll the dice between my standalone supplements.

Settle down Beavis. It was only a question.

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

vitamin D

#9 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

vitamin d

#10 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

Vitamin D

#11 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

Benfotiamine

#12 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

vitamin D

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

Hmm. Dig the emerging trend...

#14 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

I too would choose Vitamin D if Benfotiamine didn't help with a bunch of my problems.

#15 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

Which I answered, in contrast to a certain someone who is using this thread to launch cheap insults. Gosh, take it to PM or put me on your ignore list if you cannot tolerate critical discourse. That's all...

OP: if your intention was to ask about the *select few* (not just one) supplements that are the best *bang for the buck* then it certainly is a valid question. The initial question, however, was quite poor.

Edited by kismet, 10 February 2010 - 11:59 PM.

#16 bran319

• 175 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:32 AM

Cod Liver Oil

#17 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

Magnesium in the summer and vitamin D in the winter when sun exposure is reduced.

#18 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

surprised no one has said resveratrol.

if i could only afford 'one supplement', i'd probably take a basic multi-vitamin like ortho core.

#19 viltro

• Guest, F@H
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:53 AM

Personally, I don't think there's anything I really need to supplement. I've begun introducing supplements as I've become aware I lack certain things, mainly due to poor dietary regulation. But these suppplemental requirements vary from person to person and typically, dietary adjustment can provide improvement.

That said, I think that on paper, from my current personal intake, ALCAR provides me with the greatest concentration of benefits when considering the fertility, antioxidant and neuroprotection it offers.

Edited by viltro, 11 February 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:56 AM

Mangosteen Acai Detox Colon Cleanse with Colloidal Silver, Coral Calcium, and Shark Cartilage! It's Homeopathic!

Edited by niner, 11 February 2010 - 12:57 AM.

#21 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

Mangosteen Acai Detox Colon Cleanse with Colloidal Silver, Coral Calcium, and Shark Cartilage! It's Homeopathic!

this

#22 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

lol@it's homeopathic. It's placebopathic!

#23 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:14 AM

Ok all you vitamin d pushers... show us your studies!

#24 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:02 AM

vitamin d is the new piracetam lol!

#25 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:14 AM

I take all of my pills, because all of my pills are beneficial...

Care to elaborate on any of these said pills you consume? :-D

I'd probably pick ortho-core ... Nearly everything else I take I could probably cover with the ultimately micromanaged diet, but then at that point I wouldn't need the multi would I?

Vitamin D I could get from the sun (not exposing hands, face or neck) and I think UV Index get so high down here I would be ok for winter if I really managed it/'stocked up' before hand...

#26 nootrope

• 88 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

I would choose ashwagandha. It's been consistently good for my mood--modulates the HPA axis, preserves acetylcholine, acts as a GABA mimetic, helps regrow neural networks. But it may be particularly good for ME as a result of my own physiology.

2nd choice would be green tea, though I don't take it as a "supplement" but drink 10+ cups a day. Studies say this could add about 4 years to one's life. Lengthens telomeres, fights cavities, preserves collagen, boosts immunity, helps detox mercury, neuroprotectant, helps one stay wakeful (caffeine) and relaxed (theanine). One supplement, 4 years of life!

#27 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:24 AM

vitamin D

#28 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

I suppose Vit. D, today. I could increase wild salmon intake to offset omega-3s,still get flavinoids from diet, tea, and take as aspirin for 'inflammatory' condidtions.

#29 SvenKr01

• 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

Virgin coconut oil.
High quality fish oil (e.g. IFOS tested) would be second.
Vit. D is quite important in winter or whole year if you are really deficient, but I
would still prefer to take VCO if I could only take one.
(as Vit. D is very cheap, you should be able to add it anyway to your #1 choice ;-).
BTW: The thread starter's question seems to be very "hypothetical".

In fact, I currently take all three (amongst others) :-D

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

Which I answered, in contrast to a certain someone who is using this thread to launch cheap insults. Gosh, take it to PM or put me on your ignore list if you cannot tolerate critical discourse. That's all...

OP: if your intention was to ask about the *select few* (not just one) supplements that are the best *bang for the buck* then it certainly is a valid question. The initial question, however, was quite poor.

Another response from Kismet with no value....well done!

To the OP, from my arsenal of supplements I think I would keep maybe vitamin D as many have suggested or Kyolic aged garlic extract.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users