- - - - -

ASTRAGALUS ROOT - How to use

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 youandme

• 255 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:57 AM

Anyone using ASTRAGALUS ROOT ?

Im interested in knowing how to use and dosage..?

Im thinking grate or grind ?! but also how much to take ?! ..perhaps sprinkle on breakfast or lunch etc..or and make a tea.

TIA

i have an illness similar to Myasthenia Gravis ...noted a study that indicated a 'Compound Astragalus Recipe' as good as Steroids as a treatment.

Effect of compound astragalus recipe on lymphocyte subset, immunoglobulin and complements in patients with myasthenia gravis
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19526753

#2 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

Im using whole astragalus root, but I purchased the powder instead. Message me so I can tell you where. Most recipes suggest using an astragalus decoction. This means, you boil the root or powder for a while and drink this tea through out the day.

Instead, I take the powder straight up. Most sources suggest using up to 15 grams per day. This isn't that much, roughly, 3 tablespoons. I am titrating up to this amount slowly and I am still using 5 grams. I take it at night because it tends to make me sleepy. I researched this and AG acts on the GABA system so this may be a reason why.

Astragalus is an amazing plant and I think the whole root is better than the purified extracts. I've collected a number of impressive studies on the different effects of it, I'll be sure to post them later.

What exactly is the condition you have? I have something that manifests similiarly to MG but the mechanism is different. I find it awsome how we both discovered AG, which seems to be the best option for these conditions.

Since using it, I have noticed that my condition has improved, especially my energy levels. Now, I don't feel a stimulating effect, like I would from MACA, rhodiola, caffeine, I simply get up and go with more ease. Additionally, my tremors and muscle tone has also improved and I've notice a reduction of body fat.

Btw, the taste of the powder is not bad. It is slightly earthy and sweet. The taste stands out in shakes and smoothies but it is very palatable. I hope this helps!

The very reason I starting using Astragalus root is that, historically, it was used to revived patients with weakness and muscle wasting diseases. This and other studies confirmed this in that AG can regenerate the peripheral nervous system, exactly what I need to accomplish on myself.

Effect of Astragalus membranaceus in rats on peripheral nerve regeneration: in vitro and in vivo studies.

BACKGROUND: This study provides in vitro and in vivo evaluation of Astragalus membranaceus (AM) on peripheral nerve regeneration. METHODS: In the in vitro study, we analyzed the effects of AM on cell differentiation and neurite outgrowth by using a PC12 cell model. In the in vivo study, silicone rubber chambers filled with the AM water extract were used to bridge a 10-mm sciatic nerve defect in rats. RESULTS: We found that the AM water extract caused a marked enhancement of the nerve growth factor-mediated neurite outgrowth and the expression of growth-associated protein 43 from PC12 cells. Animals from the groups treated with the AM for 8 weeks had a relatively more mature structure with larger mean values of myelinated axon number, endoneurial area, and total nerve area when compared with those in the controls receiving the saline only. CONCLUSION: These results suggest that the silicone rubber tubes present a good framework for the nerve fibers to regenerate across the gap, and the AM extract can be a potential nerve growth-promoting factor, being salutary in aiding the growth of axons in the peripheral nerve.

Edited by Lufega, 26 March 2010 - 06:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

That sounds good but I've tried so many things that are supposed to be good for nerves and none did a thing. I tried benfotiamine, ashwaganda, bacopa and tons of other stuff. Zip! I am taking ast extract but just like everything else, zip. I've ordered some naltrexone so we will see how that plays out.

#4 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:56 AM

I am also using Gotu kola ethanol extract. There was a very positive study showing positive results. At the small dose of 5 grams a day, I can tell you that Astragalus definitely works. Im curious to get to 15 grams and see what effects it has on nerve regeneration.

#5 youandme

• Topic Starter
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

Ive been diag with Neuromyotonia another autoimmune disease.

Ive just got me some Astra Root....(chunks) (meant to get powder picked the wrong one)

So can we just soak in a cup of v.hot water to make a tea like a teabag...how many chunks ?

Seems the science community are not sure about Astra..on one they say it stimulates the immune system and yet on another Ive heard it say its immunosupressive.

Then on another Ive heard it is selective in its immune stimulative/suppressive effect.

Yet it seems they all agree its not a toxic herb. !

Edited by youandme, 27 March 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#6 youandme

• Topic Starter
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

That sounds good but I've tried so many things that are supposed to be good for nerves and none did a thing. I tried benfotiamine, ashwaganda, bacopa and tons of other stuff. Zip! I am taking ast extract but just like everything else, zip. I've ordered some naltrexone so we will see how that plays out.

adamh
Im sure you probably have tried ALA ?!

#7 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

adamh
Im sure you probably have tried ALA ?!

I take it every day along with alcar, bacopa, ashwaganda and a host of other herbs and spices that are supposed to make you tasty, no thats the colonel sanders ad. They are supposed to cure what ails you.

Today I've tried ldn for the first time at a low dose. We will see what that does if anything. Nothing so far has done the least bit of good I can tell.

#8 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

Lufega, just saw you mention this while reading about tyrosine, and the study you posted in your regimen thread.

AM treatment also normalized increases of TH expression in the LC (p<0.001)

A normalized increase of an expression is an unclear result to me. Seems like normalization could refer to decreasing excess expression in this case. Can you clarify this based on your research? (just trying to make sure this is indicating an increase in the hydroxylase)

Have you noticed any modulation of L-tyrosine tolerance?

Edited by chrono, 10 April 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#9 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:27 AM

Lufega, just saw you mention this while reading about tyrosine, and the study you posted in your regimen thread.

AM treatment also normalized increases of TH expression in the LC (p<0.001)

A normalized increase of an expression is an unclear result to me. Seems like normalization could refer to decreasing excess expression in this case. Can you clarify this based on your research? (just trying to make sure this is indicating an increase in the hydroxylase)

Have you noticed any modulation of L-tyrosine tolerance?

I have not tried tyrosine since I've been using AG. Can't really tell, but I would suspect an effect like modulating TH would take months before it occurs!

#10 Tangerine.Stella

• 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

Interested in Astragalus Root effect on WBC, specifically neutrophil count. Am starting Astragalus Root Powder tomorrow - will begin with 1 tablespoon/day and work up to 3 tablespoons. Next lab tests in 2 months and will update if there is a change in WBC. (Diag w/Chronic Idopathic Neutropenia)

#11 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Updates ? I was given a working diagnosis of myasthenic syndrome.

#12 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:15 AM

Anyone using ASTRAGALUS ROOT ?

Im interested in knowing how to use and dosage..?

Im thinking grate or grind ?! but also how much to take ?! ..perhaps sprinkle on breakfast or lunch etc..or and make a tea.

TIA

i have an illness similar to Myasthenia Gravis ...noted a study that indicated a 'Compound Astragalus Recipe' as good as Steroids as a treatment.

Effect of compound astragalus recipe on lymphocyte subset, immunoglobulin and complements in patients with myasthenia gravis
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19526753

From what I recall the dose should be ~2-4 grams if taken for prophylaxis, and up to 15 for acute conditions. Doses as high as 30g have been ingested, but cause immune suppression, and are therefore thought to be toxic quantity. I wouldn't be surprised if astragalus was as good as a low dose of an anabolic steroid, it has a highly significant impact on bodily processes, from massively improved immune counts to incresaed rbc production and circulating IGF-1 levels.

Here is an example of a study showing good effect: http://www.sciencedi...7a&searchtype=a

I have the full pdf, if you're interested pm me your email address. This study also showed increased red blood cell density, although not mentioned in the abstract.

edit: Regarding immunosuppression, I don't know enough about the specific etiology of auto-immune diseases, and what inflammatory markers are affected. I do know that astragalus decreases some inflammatory markers (for instance NF-KB), and greatly reduces scarring (downregulates connective tissue growth factor), but it's out of my current range to give you advice. I would suggest reading through science direct or pubmed, find all information pertaining to astragalus, and apply it to your research on the condition.

Edited by deletethisaccount, 29 September 2010 - 06:21 AM.

• like x 1

#13 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

i purchased some astragalus root powder..is heat inessential to consumption? I would like to be able to mix a spoonful with a small amount of water and drink it as is.

also, does anyone know if heat/solvents are essential for activation of compounds in any of the other various adaptogens? (gotu kola, eleuthero, ashwagandha, rhodiola)

#14 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

It is dangerous to take herb powders straight up, because of the contamination during preparation/drying (it is normal to store herbs in piles on the dirt floor). Also, traditionally, it is inferior batches of herbs that are ground up, mainly to disguise this fact. If you must take it in powder form, either get it from a reputable supplier who will guarantee the safety of their product when taken in this untraditional way, or get quality roots, clean and dry them yourself and then grind to a powder. Otherwise you don't know what else you're getting with that powder -- and it can be anything, from salmonella to parasites.

#15 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Well I purchased from Mountain Rose Herbs.. the quality is usually pretty good there

#16 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:45 AM

I soak a half pound of root in 750ml of Everclear for two months, shaking sometimes. I drink an oz of the powerful tincture before bed every other day (4 days). Then skip a week and repeat. So I take about 8oz of strong tincture a month.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

Anyone know how to make their own Astragulas powder? I buy it online but I'm unsure of the quality. I'd rather make my own

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users