Photo
- - - - -

Magnesium orotate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oehaut

• 393 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

I'm looking for some magnesium orotate, and found this one.

Is this a reputable brand?

http://www.lifesvigo...earch-labs.html

Anyone tried it?

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Brand looks sort of iffy to me. May be fine, but it's not exactly a well known company.

Of greater concern to me would be the link between orotic acid and cancer, at least in rats. There was a thread here somewhere where we discussed that.

If going with mag orotate, I'd probably just recommend AOR's cardio-mag. Or if going super cheap, go with KAL (another iffy brand).

Edited by nameless, 11 April 2010 - 07:41 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

i used the KAL brand; it was fine. i slept great while taking it. as i began to come the end of my bottle, i started looking more closely at malic acid, orotic acid, etc. -- what is the best form? and i found the possible cancer issue with orotic acid to be concerning enough not to reorder. plus i changed my diet and im taking in so much magnesium from greens now, i'm off the charts.

Edited by prophets, 11 April 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#4 oehaut

• Topic Starter
  • 393 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

Thanks to both of you for the fast answer.

I just read 2 big thread on magnesium on the forum and yes, the cancer concern was talked about but some people were saying this might not be a big concern?

Should I got with glycinate form then?

Is the bioavailabilty of a tablet as good as powder form? (again, this was answered already in the thread, but I remember reading somewhere that tablet might not be so good - just wondering if everybody agree that both are equal)

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

I'm not sure if anyone knows for certain if orotic acid is a problem in people. The European agency who reviewed orotates decided against it, saying it may not be safe. But the data isn't really there (that I know of) to say if it's safe to take long term or not. I'd like it to be safe, as I have used mag orotate previously and liked it. But if it increases the risk of cancer even slightly, it obviously wouldn't be the best choice.

It'd be the equivalent of megadosing milk (like in insane amounts) to get the same amount of orotic acid via diet. And nobody does that.

Albion glycinate is a good choice. Some other people like taurate, malate or citrate (although latter may cause some bowel issues). As for tablet vs powder, so long as tablet dissolves in your belly, I don't see why there would be any difference.

#6 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

i ended up reordering magnesium malate (malic acid). i can't remember the specific reason why i came to that conclusion at the time, only that it was the "best" choice. that bottle promptly sits on my supplement shelf, with maybe 3 pills missing from it.

i would either look at malate, or look at what the people from Albion do (ie. albion chelated magnesium glycinate), because that provides good bioavailability.

#7 oehaut

• Topic Starter
  • 393 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

As for tablet vs powder, so long as tablet dissolves in your belly, I don't see why there would be any difference.

I think the issue was that some compagny compress the tablet with too much pressure and it does not dissolves well.

This was proposed in the thread

http://www.vitacost....IngredientFacts

So that'd be a good choice?

I don't plan taking it long-term anyway, but right now i'm thinking it might be of good help, and I can't seem to get enough with my diet.

Edited by oehaut, 11 April 2010 - 08:10 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

yea, it's out of stock though. i'm partial to swanson, because it always seems to be the cheapest and quality is good. albion is a patented process so long as the vitamin doesn't say something like magnesium (as magnesium glycinate chelate and magnesium oxide), which is something carlson does in a few of its vitamin lines (they give you 5% chelated magnesium then stick you with 95% oxide crap).

here might be a worthwhile one from swanson

https://www.swansonv...U074/ItemDetail

bluebonnet, as a brand, seems to have a good lineup of albion chelated minerals. if you are looking for a specific quality brand, might want to search around for them. i personally don't care as long as it's "reputable".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users