20 replies to this topic

#1 magus123

• 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

hi,
my name is Victor

I recently had a reaction to vitamin mk-7 , i took -Vitamin K2 as MK-7 90 mcg

took 1 pill

can some of you that have taken it let me know if any reaction.

my personal reaction -

blood pressure checked by omoron wrist device
sudden jump in heart rate from 80 to 100-110
sudden jump in blood pressure to 130-140 systolic and diastolic in the 80-100 range
my normal blood pressure is around 100-120 systolic and diastolic around 70-80

i have lots of info on anything i could find on k2 and have never heard of any harsh side effects.
from what i can tell the k2 i am using comes from natto .which is a fremented soy bean extract.

the episode lasted for 12 minutes . after words everything returned to normal

what can it possibly be that would cause this?

- bad allergic reaction
- vitamin d defficany , i am suppose to take it with it
- blood clottting
- blood cougulation
- vitamin k defficany which caused a sudden overdose

my curret regiment

vitamin c and lysing
2 fish oil pills
niacin at 300 mg every once in a while
vitamin d at 2000mg every other day
pure organic pomegrante juice

i am not on any blood thininers or warafain

i wont be taking it again until i find why the reaction. should i consider spliting the pill to a smaller dose to see my reaction.
i like to make a note that i had a reaction to niacin when i tried 200mg when i first increasing it slowly. i had to build up to it. "heart racing"

i am taking k2 for heart health . i have high levels of inflammation in my body that appear in arms , hands , legs etc . sometimes in the chest.
ive been to doctors , had a stess test , came out clean.
  • dislike x 1

#2 thevaughny

• 40 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

hi,
my name is Victor

I recently had a reaction to vitamin mk-7 , i took -Vitamin K2 as MK-7 90 mcg

took 1 pill

can some of you that have taken it let me know if any reaction.

my personal reaction -

blood pressure checked by omoron wrist device
sudden jump in heart rate from 80 to 100-110
sudden jump in blood pressure to 130-140 systolic and diastolic in the 80-100 range
my normal blood pressure is around 100-120 systolic and diastolic around 70-80

i have lots of info on anything i could find on k2 and have never heard of any harsh side effects.
from what i can tell the k2 i am using comes from natto .which is a fremented soy bean extract.

the episode lasted for 12 minutes . after words everything returned to normal

what can it possibly be that would cause this?

- bad allergic reaction
- vitamin d defficany , i am suppose to take it with it
- blood clottting
- blood cougulation
- vitamin k defficany which caused a sudden overdose

my curret regiment

vitamin c and lysing
2 fish oil pills
niacin at 300 mg every once in a while
vitamin d at 2000mg every other day
pure organic pomegrante juice

i am not on any blood thininers or warafain

i wont be taking it again until i find why the reaction. should i consider spliting the pill to a smaller dose to see my reaction.
i like to make a note that i had a reaction to niacin when i tried 200mg when i first increasing it slowly. i had to build up to it. "heart racing"

i am taking k2 for heart health . i have high levels of inflammation in my body that appear in arms , hands , legs etc . sometimes in the chest.
ive been to doctors , had a stess test , came out clean.

That is strange - I have never heard of this effect or why k2 would cause this. Are you sure you weren't anticipating some effects which cause some anxiety? I have never seen that with k2 (sounds like by the dosage you and I might be taking the same brand) and I am super sensitive to pulse rate.

I have seen the racing heart with niacin though so that's one thing in common.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

sounds like anxiety to me? how long after ingestion did this occur?

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

I've had the same reaction to K2 (MK-4 in my case).
I don't have an explanation for it, but it went away after a while.

It was very similar to a niacin flush for me too.

Maybe you're really deficient or something, I think I might have been.
Just decrease the dose, to stay safe.

#5 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Very interesting. My blood pressure was moderately high for a while (around the time I started MK-7). HOWEVER, I had not been monitoring my BP regularly so I don't know what caused the change. Now it is normal after adding CoQ10, taurine, and calcium (I don't have much dairy). It is a remote possiblitly, but I wonder if my body had to get used the mk-7??

#6 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Very interesting. My blood pressure was moderately high for a while (around the time I started MK-7). HOWEVER, I had not been monitoring my BP regularly so I don't know what caused the change. Now it is normal after adding CoQ10, taurine, and calcium (I don't have much dairy). It is a remote possiblitly, but I wonder if my body had to get used the mk-7??

The effect I'm talking about happens a little while after taking the k2, and it only lasts for a few min.

#7 magus123

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

i drank the vitamin k2 with water . maybe a minute later when setting down at my computer . i had a sudden feeling that the vitamin was effecting my body. a sudden awarness of my heart . so i checked my blood pressure . every couple of minutes i would check my blood pressure and it seem to flucuate in high numbers. from my understanding mk-7 stays in your body for 2-3 days. i had another sensation of increased heart rate when i was working outside today thursday around 12:00 lasted maybe 2 minutes.

I can still feel the k2 in my body , like your taking a anti-depresent. o course not that severe , but a feeling that you takin a medication.

can anyone of tell me the amount of k2 i took is either more than a regular dish of natto?

maybe i should try eating feremented cheeses or actual natto for the k2 vitamin.

their still a lot to be learn about k2 .

anxiety - could be a possiblitly , but i believe anxiety only doubles the effects once a reaction occurs . not start them. but of course its all in the mind
  • dislike x 1

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

anxiety - could be a possiblitly , but i believe anxiety only doubles the effects once a reaction occurs . not start them. but of course its all in the mind

Nope. Anxiety is fully capable of raising both pulse and bp on its own without any other triggers. What do you mean "its all in the mind"? Objective reality doesn't exist?

#9 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

Nope. Anxiety is fully capable of raising both pulse and bp on its own without any other triggers. What do you mean "its all in the mind"? Objective reality doesn't exist?

Very true...

Anxiety leads to increased adrenaline which will hike both BP and pulse rate dramatically, this can lead onto panic attacks which are very unpleasant believe me.

This does sound like an bout of anxiety to me.

#10 torrential

• 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

i drank the vitamin k2 with water ... .

I always take this supplement with a high fat meal and have never had a noticeable reaction to it.

can anyone of tell me the amount of k2 i took is either more than a regular dish of natto?

A google search turns up references that indicate natto contains 1,000mcg K2 MK-7 per 100g (3 1/2 oz) serving, 11 times more than the dose you took.
I've never had natto but it's likely that those who eat it are getting far more K2 than those of us who supplement.

Edited by torrential, 24 April 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#11 zekeyb

• 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

I've just started some k2 mk-7 and also had a reaction. I don't think my blood pressure went up although it might have without me knowing it. I experienced a tightening of my hiatal hernia. I've had this before. It is consistent with an anxiety response, not from any mental gyrations, but rather from an adrenaline surge. My guess is that it may have to do with the Vitamin D you are taking. Vit D is a pro-hormone right at the top of the steroid hormone cascade which starts with cholesterol. Vit D, along with all the other steroid hormones (cortisol, dhea, testoserone, adrenaline) are made from cholesterol, and my doctor, who is a biochemist, told me that Vit D was right at the top of the cascade, which means that the D acts to raise the levels of all of these hormones. For this reason, I had to stop taking D because it blew some fuses which I won't go into here. My sense is that our reactions to vit K2 may be because it may somehow cause an activation of either vit D or the other steroid hormones. Hope this helps.

#12 livingguy

• 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

I've just started some k2 mk-7 and also had a reaction. I don't think my blood pressure went up although it might have without me knowing it. I experienced a tightening of my hiatal hernia. I've had this before. It is consistent with an anxiety response, not from any mental gyrations, but rather from an adrenaline surge. My guess is that it may have to do with the Vitamin D you are taking. Vit D is a pro-hormone right at the top of the steroid hormone cascade which starts with cholesterol. Vit D, along with all the other steroid hormones (cortisol, dhea, testoserone, adrenaline) are made from cholesterol, and my doctor, who is a biochemist, told me that Vit D was right at the top of the cascade, which means that the D acts to raise the levels of all of these hormones. For this reason, I had to stop taking D because it blew some fuses which I won't go into here. My sense is that our reactions to vit K2 may be because it may somehow cause an activation of either vit D or the other steroid hormones. Hope this helps.

I have noticed the same thing that Vitamin K raised my blood pressure. My experience was with a life extension product that had various forms of K in it.

#13 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

An article in the LEF may 2010 monthly magazine argues that blood pressure is supposed to fluctuate a little in healthy adults..

Sorry I can't find the exact link for you right now. Maybe someone can help me out, but it should be somewhere in here:

http://www.lef.org/m.../mag2010_05.htm

#14 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:49 AM

I think you're doctor is smoking the wacky tobaccy, and may be thinking of pregnenolone.
  • like x 1

#15 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I got this same reaction, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the vitamin K² I'm currently taking MK-4 @ 5mg and MK-7@ 90mcg each once per day.

I've been having pretty frightening heart palpitations once or twice a day that have been lasting about 30 minutes. The only recent change I can track it to is the K².

I've had mild anxiety before but never panic attack symptoms when it wasn't induced by some sort of phamaceutical or supplement. But the reason why I think it's one of the forms of K² is because I had never heard of heart palpitations being related to the vitamin. I started experiencing discomfort about a week after starting it and only found anecdotals of the same side effect yesterday.

Yesterday when it started happening I did some mild exercise (push-ups and pull-ups) and that cleared it up right away. Is it possible that it could build up in the blood stream if no exercise is done? Or that somehow exercise causes the body to utilize it?

I'm sure the more likely reason for the relief after exercise is just that it releived the anxiety, which stopped the adrenaline cascade that was exacerbating the problem. But just wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar recently.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#16 slothrop

• 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

This thread is interesting. After about a week of taking 90 mcg of MK-7 I reliably begin to experience palpitations with some arrhythmia, which I am prone to anyway. No similar reaction to 5 mg MK-4. Haven't taken any MK-7 for about a year because of this effect. Since I couldn't find any similar experiences posted around the web I though it was either a rare, personal reaction or chance. Either way I didn't want to continue supplementing. (Don't have any BP measurements.)

#17 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm also curious if it this reaction has anything to do with iron overload and hemochromatosis. I have the double gene for hemochromatosis and am currently waiting on serum ferritin and transferrin saturation labs which should be in in a couple of days.

#18 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

I've taken doses of ~1000 mcg of K2-MK7 and several mg of K2-MK4 without a problem (for plantar fasciitis -- and it worked quite well by the way). FWIW, 23andme says that I do not "have any of the three mutations in the HFE gene linked to hereditary hemochromatosis".

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

I've taken doses of ~1000 mcg of K2-MK7 and several mg of K2-MK4 without a problem (for plantar fasciitis -- and it worked quite well by the way).

Wow, that's interesting. Plantar fascitis is tough to deal with. I've never heard of vitamin K being used there. Where did you hear about it?

#20 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

An x-ray showed a spur at the insertion point of the fascia in the heel. I thought that since natto contains about 1000 mcg per serving I would be safe at that dose. A little calcification in the wrong place can be surprisingly painful, like having a rock in your shoe. I also rolled out the calf and stretched the plantar fascia with one of those golf ball sized spiky balls.

The MK7 form seems particularly good for me for soft tissue calcification issues. I took the cheaper NOW 100 mcg caps with a meal.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Thanks stephen, seems like K²-mk4 doesn't bother me. I started taking it again and haven't had any more heart palpitations so far since stopping the mk7.

Iron labs are back in and serum ferritin levels are thankfully at normal levels so probably no cirrhosis. But iron saturation is at 63% which is over the normal range. May have to rethink recent switch to paleo diet in light of these numbers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users