• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

The Father of Cryonics, Robert C. W. Ettinger

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:55 AM

Robert Ettinger, author of The Prospect of Immortality (1962) and Man Into Superman (1972), was kind enough to meet me at his home and at the Cryonics Institute (CI) in Clinton Township, MI on Aug 3-4, 2004.

Mr. Ettinger is a hero of mine for his successful efforts to introduce the concept of physical immortality and cryonics to a wider audience.

Posted Image
Robert Ettinger, Bruce Klein

Posted Image
Cryonics Institute (CI) - Clinton Township, MI

Posted Image
Cryonics patients at CI

Posted Image
Cryonics patients at CI

Posted Image
Cryonics patients at CI

Posted Image
Pet preservation chamber

Posted Image
Profussion room/equipment

Posted Image
Robert Ettinger, Andy Zawacki

Posted Image
Cryonics storage chambers (currently holding 64 patients) 7,000 sq/ft facility is owned free an clear by CI.

Posted Image
Robert Ettinger's home - Mr. Ettinger was kind enough to allow me to stay at his home to save money from hotel costs.

During my overnight stay with Mr. Ettinger, I was fortunate to have about 2hrs with which we talked about such topics as "Death = Oblivion", the question of "Heat Death" and the possible creation of "Artificial Life."

• Lurker

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:51 AM

He seems like a kind man, it was nice of him to let you stay for the night and chat with him about the aforementioned topics.

The cryonics facility looks like it has been there for quite a while, was that the first cryonics facility to be established? Excuse my ignorance.

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:28 PM

CI purchased the above pictured 7,000 sq/ft facility for $300,000 outright.... actually, the day I was there was CI's 10/yr anniversary at that location in Clinton Township, MI.

Before Aug 1994, CI was situated in a smaller facility located closer to downtown Detroit... I'm not sure how long CI was at this smaller facility.

Mr. Ettinger was very kind, as was Andy Zawacki who I talked with as well. Andy invited me to attend CI's Directors meeting on Sept 12, 2004 to be held at the facility. Andy is an avid outdoors man.

Also, Mr. Ettinger is currently working on his newest book, http://www.youniverse.biz

sponsored ad

• Advert

• Lurker

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:13 AM

Lucky you! Incredible book (TPOI). What does he think of the present rate of technological progress? What technologies does he think hold the most promise? Does he have a favorite scientist? Does he eat pasta? :)

#5 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 08:36 AM

Heh.. Mr. Ettinger cooked me a nice microwave rice dinner.. not sure if he eats pasta, but I suspect so. Not sure on fav. scientist, but his home was covered with SF books. On what exact tech holds the most promise, not sure.. but he alluded that AI, while difficult (qualia being a problem) it is likely inevitable.. oh yeah, he was big on nanotech and individual factories for everyone who may want one.

#6 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:56 PM

Mr. Ettinger is truly one of today's unsung visionary heroes. For the two of you to meet must had have something of "a torch being passed" quality to it.

I just wonder if any "business" was contracted between the two of you. Did you sign yourself or any member of your family up for CI storage? Mr. Ettinger looks pretty thin. Does he practice or did he express any sympathy for calorie restriction?

I think you should really write a detailed account of your visit so all of us could share in it.

#7 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:32 AM

Mr. Ettinger doesn't practice CR from what I gather.. but he does take a number of health promoting supplements. There was no concrete business other than the great discussion/interview.

I've already signed with Alcor, but I recommend CI for those on a tighter budget and for anyone in need of an emergency cryonics (ex: if one dies before having a cryonics membership -- as in my mother's death).

#8 cynmark24

• 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:03 AM

I read Mr. Ettinger's landmark book, "Prospect of Immortality" over 40 years ago as a 14 year old, and was impressed with the revelations within and his logical approach to the subject. Now, after seeing his current photo on the website, it all comes rushing back to me, and the realization that my "day" is, in fact, coming closer. I am thrilled to see that Mr. Ettinger, the founder of the modern day cryonics movement, is still with us! I wish him good health and a life with no boundaries.

#9 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:40 AM

Hi,

I thought that maybe your organization would be interested to know that: Robert Ettinger will be appearing on my radio program this Friday at 8PM ET. Interested individuals can tune in live from: http://www.infidelguy.com

The write-up on him from my website is as follows:

{ * Robert C.W. Ettinger is considered by many to be the founding father of Cryonics, publishing the first book on the subject with "The Prospect of Immortality" in 1964.

He has since authored further books on Cryonics and is currently the Vice-President and Director of "The Cryonics Institute".

Cryonics is a technique designed with the intent to save lives and overcome illness and suffering. It involves cooling patients to the point where physical decay essentially stops, in the hope that future technologies will be able to revive them and restore them to good health later on. A patient held in such a state is said to be in 'cryonic suspension'.}

The link to listen is here: http://www.infidelguy.com/listen.pls
Must have winamp, real player, or sonique t listen. The lastest version of windows media may be able to stream it as well.

This is a live call in show: 888-503-0802

Thank you for your time.

Reginald.V.Finley

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users