• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is 1-2mg/day lithium orotate enough for neuroprotection?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HiQ

• 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:26 AM

Hello all,

I do not post very often. However, I do continue to peruse the various ongoing discussions. I understand that there has been a certain amount of chatter about lithium (orotate) recently. I am not bipolar (nor do I have any other cognitive ailment). I took 5mg of lithium orotate recently on an empty stomach. Within 1 hr - it had a profound effect for me - I felt foggy minded and unable to concentrate. I felt sleepy. But when I attempted to sleep, my mind was racing...

Anyway, I want to continue using the product, purely for its possible neuroprotective and neurogenerative effects. However, I will lower the dose to perhaps 1-2.5 mg. My question is, will a dose this low have any appreciable neuroprotective effect? Or am I simply wasting my money and should discontinue use?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

I think the best answer we can give you is : nobody knows.

Lithium is anti-inflammatory. It is possible that you don't have the inflammation, and so you only need a smaller amount for the neuroprotective benefits.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

I think this blog post makes a great case that ~1mg of Lithium per day should be our rda or starting point from which we then discuss any potential longevity benefits to going past this amount naturally achievable from diet. The neuroprotection issue I am unsure :) I have seen a few people now reporting some type of brain fog from 5mg Lithium, so that doesn't leave much room in between... I myself however noticed no difference (but I still only take 1mg/day).

#4 HiQ

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

I just thought I would add this in case anyone was interested. Although the article does not discuss whether the biological underpinnings of lithiums neuroprotection are activated at such low doses, at least it may indicate that a very low dose could have a physiological effect.

Schrauzer GN,de Vroey E. "Effects of nutritional lithium supplementation on mood. A placebo-controlled study with former drug users." Biol Trace Elem Res. 1994 Jan;40:89-101. (Issue number 1) Research reported by Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093-0314.. =21759= = Author's abstract: A total of 24 subjects, 16 males and 8 females, average age 29.4 +/- 6.5 y, were randomly divided into two groups. Group A received 400 micrograms/d of lithium orally, in tablets composed of a naturally lithium-rich brewer's yeast, for 4 wk. Group B was given normal, lithium-free brewer's yeast as a placebo. All the subjects of the study were former drug users (mostly heroin and crystal methamphetamine). Some of the subjects were violent offenders or had a history of domestic violence. The subjects completed weekly self-administered mood test questionnaires, which contained 29 items covering parameters measuring mental and physical activity, ability to think and work, mood, and emotionality. In the lithium group, the total mood test scores increased steadily and significantly during the period of supplementation. The 29 items were furthermore placed into three subcategories reflecting happiness, friendliness, and energy, as well as their negative counterparts. In Group A, the scores increased consistently for all subcategories until wk 4 and remained essentially the same in wk 5. In Group B, the combined mood test scores showed no consistent changes during the same period. The only positive change in some members of Group B occurred during wk 1 and was attributed to a placebo effect. In Group B, the placebo effect was noticeable for the subcategories of energy and friendliness; the happiness scores declined during the entire period of observation. Based on these results and the analysis of voluntary written comments of study participants, it is concluded that lithium at the dosages chosen had a mood-improving and-stabilizing effect.

#5 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:20 AM

this is what i take... 1-2mg. it's typically just after a meal and away from any exercise period.
  • like x 1

#6 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:23 AM

I just thought I would add this in case anyone was interested. Although the article does not discuss whether the biological underpinnings of lithiums neuroprotection are activated at such low doses, at least it may indicate that a very low dose could have a physiological effect.

Thanks for that study, and welcome to Imminst.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 stillwater

• 116 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

I started taking 50mg a day of lithium carbonate, as a bit of an experiment, the first thing I noticed is that it restored my sense of smell dramatically. Perhaps it's the anti-inflammatory effect occurring. I worry a bit about hairloss as my hair is already thinning and regular therapeutic doses are well known to cause hairloss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users