• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does vitamin b12 make anyone here sleepy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ramon25

• 111 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

When i take it at night it knocks me out and make me groggy the next day. Even if taken a few hours before bed.....

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

I haven't experienced sleepiness from taking vitamin B-12 ("methylcobalamin") yet it does consistently provide me with nice, vivid dreams.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Yes, it makes me tired.

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

What kind of B12? Large doses of methylcobalamin will increase methylation ("methylation cycle"), and reduce homocysteine and other cofactors (folate,etc)

#5 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yes, sleepy, lethargic at > 1 or 2mg methylcobalamin. I think it's maybe one of the best sleep aids. If I have been taking a high dose, like 5mg, I can probably nap for several hours during the day and still sleep all night. Since that's not what I want, I dropped the dose. This is strange since a study shows 3mg reduced sleep time. At high doses it makes me less motivated to work out or I have less energy to work out. I think it's a good anxiolytic. I like that it protects against glutamate toxicity.

Edited by ta5, 25 March 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#6 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

What kind of B12? Large doses of methylcobalamin will increase methylation ("methylation cycle"), and reduce homocysteine and other cofactors (folate,etc)

Posted Image

Posted Image

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Cyanocobalamin can encounter lots of issues being converted to methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. If you are taking a "regular" B-12 and experiencing bad effects, you should immediately stop taking it. You could be damaging your liver.

I found a huge world of difference when I started avoiding all forms of cyanocobalamin and using jarrows sublingual methylcobalamin instead. Almost euphoric for the first few days. My dad noticed the same thing (it is often genetic).

If you are deficient, you will notice really good effects from the first time taking it, but you will need to add some potassium to your diet until you get the deficiency corrected in your body. Those who are extremely deficient notice headaches and muscle cramps, since the increased metabolism of methylcobalamin will be stripping potassium out of your body if you don't have enough in your diet.

I did notice increased sleep duration the first week of taking it. Methylcobalamin is important in the production of Melatonin, so my guess is that my natural Melatonin production picked up after years of being off-duty (I am prone to insomnia).

I also started avoiding Folic acid in favor of methylfolate. This is hard if you eat a lot of processed food, since they add folic acid to all kinds of things. Folic acid will block the absorption of methylfolate.

Edited by zrbarnes, 27 March 2012 - 08:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users