Photo

Lead Officers sought

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

The Immortality Institute is a grass roots, member-based organisation. We all share a common dream: to abolish the blight of involuntary death. This mission is of such urgency and importance that most other activities pale into insignificance. Yet many of us are preoccupied with more ‘mundane’ toils and tribulations. Very few are in the fortunate position to know that their everyday work makes a direct contribution to the cause.
Many are trying to eek out enough spare time from their ‘day jobs’ to act as life extension activist in their spare time. It is such volunteers who join together to form ImmInst, to champion and drive relevant activities either at ImmInst, or by using ImmInst as a Forum to exchange information. In all likelihood, your life, all our lives depend on these activists. If there are not enough people who care enough about the cause to freely volunteer their time and resources, death will prevail. Sometimes, people underestimate the impact every single individual can make.

Whereas a large volunteer taskforce is key, we cannot rely entirely on unpaid activists. People have to eat, some commitments need to be formalised and compensated.
But trying to pay people for their good work has its particular difficulties:
Firstly, money is tight, especially at a tiny organization such as ImmInst. If there are never enough funds to pay for the scientific research that we know is crucial, or for vital policy and public information work, how can we justify redirecting sparse funds into salaries?
Moreover, working for life extension and getting paid for it is truly a ‘dream job’ for all of us – what happens to social dynamics if some volunteers are getting paid while others are still expected to work ‘for free’? Who decides what level of compensation is adequate and whether or not anyone’s performance is and remains up to scratch?
Those issues are challenging, but they cannot be intractable if we want to move forward. ImmInst has, in the past hired a member of staff. This was a great help, but the range of tasks remains so wide that it is not ideal to rely on a single person to chase after them all.

Analysing potential activities, there are two categories:
1) Foundation tasks that need to be done to keep ImmInst going and growing
2) Projects that could be performed to advance the mission

Both are necessary. It may seem counterintuitive, even frustrating, but in the first instance, foundation tasks require some funding: this is the boring work that, if left undone for just a few weeks can lead to the demise of the Immortality Institute as a whole. Project-specific funding can then be generated from any surplus that can be generated based on these foundation tasks.

The following positions need attention at approximately 5hrs per week.

Membership Secretary
  • Keep accurate records of membership status
  • Keep records of other status (teams, groups, leadership etc)
  • Meeting & greeting new members
  • Identifying and invite volunteer talent
  • Liaise with Treasurer regarding membership donations
  • Answer general questions regarding joining ImmInst as a Member
  • Administering members benefits (discounts etc)
  • Provide members with a donation receipt upon request

Lead Engineer
  • React to and fix software failures and bugs
  • Review and improve software stability and security
  • Implement new technical solutions to make the forums more useful and enjoyable
  • Overhaul the technical implementation of the wiki and the ‘front end’ CMS to facilitate collaborative working

Team and Project Coordinator
  • Keep accurate records of team and project activities
  • Liaise with and support team leaders
  • Identify the need for new teams and assist with recruitment of volunteers
  • Analyse new project ideas suggested by members and support these as required
  • Report team and project activities to the board and membership

Lead Editor
  • Commission and edit a lead article every month
  • Commission and edit a wiki page every month, continually improve the wiki
  • Identify and highlight quality discussions on the forum
  • Identify and select relevant news in the field
  • Manage content on the website
  • Devise and improve ImmInst offline marketing material (flyers, posters etc)

Lead Moderator
  • Commission and edit a lead article every month
  • Commission and edit a wiki page every month, continually improve the wiki
  • Identify and highlight quality discussions on the forum
  • Identify and select relevant news in the field
  • Manage content on the website
  • Devise and improve ImmInst offline marketing material (flyers, posters etc)

We are looking for volunteers to fill these positions. After a trial period, we may be able to offer some limited financial compensation for the time invested. This would be more in the area of US minimum wage than great riches. Initially, these would be campaign-based payments – if the relationship matures to a routine level, ImmInst could consider establishing itself formally as an employer.
Anyone considering to volunteer on this basis should send an expression of interest and a short CV to support@ImmInst.org.
For informal enquiries please contact myself or another member of the board.

PS:
Some who are reading this may agree that it is important that these positions are filled on a compensation basis, but not have the time or ability to volunteer themselves – if that is the case, you can still help to make this happen by sending a donation: any amount large or small will help us to put this incentive scheme on a sustainable footing and to motivate volunteers via bonus payments. Please mark your donation ‘staff budget’ or with the job title that you specifically wish to support.

PPS:
If you would like to volunteer for the cause, but can't commit to the extent required of a Lead Officer, you are very welcome to join us regardless. - whether it is a few hours per week or a few minutes per month, we probably have a suggestion how you can invest a little bit of your time to bring the dream of unlimited lifetimes just a little bit closer. Write to support@imminst.org with a brief description of you skills, interests and time budget.

This post has been promoted to an article

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

This important set of doors is now open. We now just have to make sure enough people see it so we can find some to walk through them. If your reading this, please consider. If these positions arent for you, please spread the word. One great place to start is to click the "f" facebook icon at the bottom of this topic, which automatically posts this to your facebook page.

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:32 AM

I would like to volunteer as a lead editor.

My vision is to use my free time to read through archives and write meaningful and impressionable articles.
I am a senior in high school, attending a highly selective school (which I hate), who studies quantum field theory at a university after school. My free time is devoted to understanding neuroscience and the function of the human body in general.
My peers salute me for my unconventional views and overall wealth of knowledge relating to science. They say I have many good ideas about the mind, society, life, and the future.

I would be honored to receive a chance to contribute my ideas to ImmInst in what ever way possible. Hopefully something good will come of it, if I receive the opportunity. Please let me know, if you find me suitable as a potential volunteer.

Thanks.

Edited by Mind, 21 December 2017 - 10:18 PM.

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

We need more takers. Are you ready to commit to your life, to the chance to see the future of existence pioneered, and have the chance to contribute? Are you ready to make your existence your priority?

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Apply if your interested.

#6 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:27 AM

There is an article on this topic, which helps, it used to have a home in a "recommended list" that has been lost for the time being in the upgrades. We bump it, it should come as no surprise to people that ways to get involved around here exist. There are teams. We have a teams page in planning.

There is a lot to do though. We have a shoe string staff around here, and the mountainous goal of indefinite life extension. We work to keep this ship afloat because we fully expect more and more people to come on board and contribute, not so the 10 or 20 of us can continue at it like this for the next 50 years.

We could have say, that teams page made if somebody would step forward and fill the lead editor role. We could advertise more widely if say, I didnt have to spend all my time working on all of the teams so I could put more time into the simple marketing and outreach ads package we are working on.

The forum would upgrade much more smoothly if our engineers would stick around rather than show up then disappear. Right now Caliban, Sven and I are working on lead moderator tasks. If somebody would step forward in the name of this cause, to take even a bit of pay, to help do this, it would free up our time in so many ways.

Our tasks are never ending, and they will remain so and we will die with stacks of things left undone if more people dont step up. Most of us that do the work around here do it for free. Here are a variety of chances to help for pay. Lets step up and get these positions filled.

To quote the topic:

The Immortality Institute is a grass roots, member-based organisation. We all share a common dream: to abolish the blight of involuntary death. This mission is of such urgency and importance that most other activities pale into insignificance.

Exactly, one of the ways I put it is this way.

Yet many of us are preoccupied with more ‘mundane’ toils and tribulations. Very few are in the fortunate position to know that their everyday work makes a direct contribution to the cause.

I go over this there too, most of us can make a lot more room amongst the 'mundane' to help stop the imminent eternal obliteration of everybody in existence.

Many are trying to eek out enough spare time from their ‘day jobs’ to act as life extension activist in their spare time.

The way to do it, the trend to set is the other way around. Most of us should be trying to eek out enough spare time from our unlimited lifespans work in order to accommodate our 'day jobs'. I do, I dont know who else does but Im sure there are many more, and there needs to be, can be, and will be even more.

Edited by brokenportal, 09 February 2011 - 03:27 AM.

#7 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

One of your open positions is duplicated FYI:

Lead Editor

* Commission and edit a lead article every month
* Commission and edit a wiki page every month, continually improve the wiki
* Identify and highlight quality discussions on the forum
* Identify and select relevant news in the field
* Manage content on the website
* Devise and improve ImmInst offline marketing material (flyers, posters etc)

Lead Moderator

* Commission and edit a lead article every month
* Commission and edit a wiki page every month, continually improve the wiki
* Identify and highlight quality discussions on the forum
* Identify and select relevant news in the field
* Manage content on the website
* Devise and improve ImmInst offline marketing material (flyers, posters etc)

- Tracy

#8 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Please note that an updated call has been issued in the Immortality Institute members section

#9 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

I can help for a few hours a month in editing or admin if required. Sorry I don't have any more free time for a more substantial commitment
  • like x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users