The Complete List Of Nootropics

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 02:27 AM

Hello

Many Nootropics Americans first heard about (from IAS, LEF, Smart drug books, their doctors, or friends) are finally available in the US OTC (Piracetam, Pyritinol, Picamilon, Idebenone, Vincamine, Vinpocetine) while others; Hydergine, Deprenyl, Vasopressin, Centrophenoxine, Aniracetam, Oxiracetam are still available by prescription only in the US or in Europe. (God I hate the FDA).

But since the early and mid 1990's their have been no updates about new Nootropics either being researched or already approved in another country. until now. This part of the Nootropic forum will interactively provide info on new Nootropics you have never heard of. And will also discuss exactly how to define a Nootropic from a smart drugs with some nootropic effects, or a brain supplement.

#2 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 02:36 AM

True Nootropics
(Nootropics with long-term effects with various actions throughout the brain.)

Piracetam
Pramiracetam
Oxiracetam
Nefiracetam
Aniracetam
DM235 (Sunifiram)
Nebracetam
Vinpocetine
Vincamine
Pyritinol
Idebenone
Hydergine

Smart Drugs with Nootropic effects
(Has Nootropic effects but a very specfic mode of action (1 or 2) and may be more short-term) [I consider these Mild Nootropics, not because of what you feel but because of how they work.]

Rasagiline
Deprenyl
Centrophenoxine
Huperzine A
Nicergoline
Galantamine
Picamilon
CDP-Choline
Alpha-Glycerol-Phoshoryl-Choline (GPC)
Vasopressin

Brain Supplements
(Not Nootropics but some people notice a difference, many people call them weak Nootropics)

ALC
Gingko
DMAE
Choline
PhosphatidylCholine
Carnosine
Bacopa

Note: All drugs that are currently being researched in the US can be found here: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dutchman

• 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 06:01 AM

I came across a product called BrainQuicken (cognamine). The website claimed this to be a Nootropic. As I haven't found any reference to this anywhere in the forum, I was wondering if you could verify this and also how it compares to the other Nootropics (if it is, that is).

#4 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 02:36 AM

This is what BrainQuicken consists of:
Cobalamin, Niacinamide, Folic Acid, 2-dimethylaminoethanol, Pyridoxine HCL, Pantothenic Acid (Calcium Pantothenate), Proprietary Cognamine™ Complex (including components of: Phosphatidylserine, Choline Bitartrate, Vinpocetine, Salix Alba, Thioctic Acid, L-Tyrosine, Ciwujia, and other synergistic compounds)

Basically; B-12, B-3, Folic Acid, DMAE, B-6, B-%, and an blend of PS, Choline, Vinpoceitne, Salix, Lipoic Acid, L-Tyrosine, Ciwujia, and other synergistic compounds.

Three Things that are bad about this product:
1 It's mostly vitamins.
2. The doses are unknown.
3. Contains unknown ingredients (other synergistic compounds)

It does have Vinpocetine which is a nootropic, but at an unknown dose.
I cannot recommend this product for those reasons. I do not believe it is comparable to any Nootropics or Nootropic formulas.

#5 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 06:07 PM

Lifemirage,

At the website www.aor.ca that you posted some information from, for choline alfoscerate, I also found there a reference to an interesting product called benfotiamin which is a much more bioavailable form of thiamine. It appears to be an anti-glycating agent providing some neuroprotective capabilities. I was wondering what your feelings are on it as well as, in general, what your thoughts on the effectiveness of other anti-glycating/oxidizing agents on aging might be... although this would probably belong in a different thread.

Edited by kperrott, 27 March 2003 - 06:08 PM.

#6 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 02:27 AM

Hello kperrott

I'm glad you see you’re interested in this fascinating area of antiaging research. Benfotiamine (a derivative of the fat soluble form of Thiamine) has impressive anti-glycation effects. I am curious to see its effects compared to other Glycation inhibitors, such as, Carnosine, Pyridoxamine, and Aminoguanidine. Unfortunately no comparison studies have been conducted as far as I am aware of.

Based on animal & human studies Carnosine, Pyridoxamine, Benfotiamine are effective for slowing down glycation (while an important factor in aging not a direct cause). I plan to combine them all for maximum antiglycation effects.

ALT-711 is a glycation breaker, which can reverse glycation in the body safely. It is currently being studied for FDA approval and may be approved in a few years (although available now by various suppliers).

NtBHA is a very interesting spinning trap agent which (although needs more studies) may increase lifespan.

SOD or analogs of may increase lifespan (but again needs more studies).

R-Lipoic Acid also looks promising.

Deprenyl I believe everyone knows my opinion.

Edited by LifeMirage, 29 March 2003 - 02:28 AM.

#7 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 02:40 AM

J Clin Psychopharmacol 1996 Dec;16(6):440-5
Ceruletide improves event-related potential indicators of cognitive processing in young but not in elderly humans.

Dodt C, Sarnighausen HE, Pietrowsky R, Fehm HL, Born J. Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany.

The effect of intravenously administered ceruletide, a cholecystokinin (CCK) analogue, on neurophysiologic signs of stimulus processing was tested in 16 young (19-28 years) and 16 aged (70-86 years) healthy subjects. Placebo or 2.5 micrograms ceruletide was infused within 30 minutes according to a double-blind within-subject crossover design. Thereafter, auditory event-related brain potential (AERP) responses to stimuli of an "oddball" task (including the random presentation of frequent standard tones and rare target tones) were recorded. Amplitudes of the P2, P3, and SW components of the AERP were reduced in aged subjects (p < 0.05, p < 0.001, and p < 0.01, respectively), and latencies (from stimulus onset) of the N2 and P3 components were prolonged (p < 0.05 and p < 0.01, respectively). Together, these changes indicate impaired cognitive processing capabilities in aged compared with young subjects. Ceruletide enhanced P3 and also the subsequent slow-wave (SW) component that occurs 500 to 700 ms poststimulus in young subjects (p < 0.05 and p < 0.001, respectively). The peptide did not at all affect AERPs in the elderly subjects. Results demonstrate the capability of ceruletide after systemic administration to enhance central nervous system indicators of cognitive processing such as P3 and SW in young subjects. However, despite the clear effect of the CCK analogue in young subjects, it remained ineffective in the group of aged subjects and, thus, failed to compensate for the decline in AERP signs of working memory functioning in the elderly subjects.

Glycine In Healthy Young Adults

J Clin Psychopharmacol 1999 Dec;19(6):506-12
Beneficial effects of glycine (bioglycin) on memory and attention in young and middle-aged adults.

File SE, Fluck E, Fernandes C. Psychopharmacology Research Unit, United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals, Guy's Hospital, London, United Kingdom.

The N-methyl D-aspartate receptor complex is involved in the mechanism of long-term potentiation, which is thought to be the biological basis of learning and memory. This complex can be manipulated in a number of ways, one of which is through the strychnine-insensitive glycine receptor coagonist site. The effects of Bioglycin (Konapharma, Pratteln, Switzerland), a biologically active form of the amino acid glycine, were therefore studied in healthy students (mean age, 20.7 years) and middle-aged men (mean age, 58.9 years) with tests that measured attention, memory and mood, using a double-blind, randomized, crossover design. Compared with the young group, the middle-aged group had significantly poorer verbal episodic memory, focused, divided, and sustained attention; they also differed in their subjective responses at the end of testing. Bioglycin significantly improved retrieval from episodic memory in both the young and the middle-aged groups, but it did not affect focused or divided attention. However, the middle-aged men significantly benefited from Bioglycin in the sustained-attention task. The effects of Bioglycin differed from those of other cognitive enhancers in that it was without stimulant properties or significant effects on mood, and it primarily improved memory rather than attention. It is likely to be of benefit in young or older people in situations where high retrieval of information is needed or when performance is impaired by jet lag, shift work, or disrupted sleep. It may also benefit the impaired retrieval shown in patients with schizophrenia, Parkinson's disease, and Huntington's disease.

Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova 1997 Mar-Apr;47(2):420-30
A nootropic adrenocorticotropin analog 4-10-semax (l5 years experience in its design and study)

Asmarin IP, Nezavibat'ko VN, Miasoedov NF, Kamenskii AA, Grivennikov IA, Ponomareva-Stepnaia MA, Andreeva LA, Kaplan AIa, Koshelev VB, Riasina TV.

Semax is one of the rare analogues of regulatory peptides which underwent all stages from fundamental investigations to practical usage. It has been demonstrated that this peptide is capable to stimulate operative memory and attention, to increase resistance to hypoxia and to improve brain circulation in experimental animals and human beings over prolonged period (20-24 h after intranasal administration in doses 0.015-0.050 mg/kg). Semax significantly improves memory and attention in healthy men under extreme conditions of activities. Moreover at present semax is successfully used in treatment of patients with different diseases of CNS. In the majority of cases the peptide exhibited positive effects and in no case it produced negative side actions or complications connected with its administration. There is good reason to believe that medical potentialities of semax have not been exhausted and in future new possibilities of its usage will be revealed.

Therapie 2002 Mar-Apr;57(2):137-50
New drugs derived from medicinal plants.

Zhang JT. Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100050, P.R. China.

In China, increasing emphasis has been laid in recent years on research on natural products. About 140 new drugs have been developed from Chinese medicinal plants. For example, anisodamine possesses good effects in the treatment of septic shock and morphine addiction; 3-n-butylphthalide isolated from seeds of celery was shown to be a new cerebral anti-ischemic agent; indirubin was identified as an anti-leukemic drug with no inhibition of bone marrow; huperzine is a potent and reversible inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase (AChE) and its selective action is superior to that of donepezil; clausenamide was shown to be a potassium channel blocker, its nootropic effect was 50-100 times more potent than that of piracetam; bicyclol was synthesized from schizandrin C isolated from Fructus schizandrae. It has remarkable hepatoprotective and certain anti-hepatitis virus actions; salvianolic acid B is a very strong antioxidant agent with potential anti-dementia effects; yingzhaosu A and artemisinin are anti-malaria drugs containing a peroxide ring which is very rarely seen in natural substances.

Medline studies

Edited by LifeMirage, 05 April 2005 - 06:28 PM.

#8 0824

• 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:53 PM

Greetings, from HigherMinds

I have a question for the discussion group. What is the best nootropic for the treatment of anxiety disorder / tourettes syndrome? [?]
I am taking choline/vitamin C powder. Right now it is not really working to well. Any info will be welcomed. Thanks, HigherMinds

#9 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:00 PM

Picamilon can be helpful, as would Theanine for anxiety. I known of no effective treatment for tourettes sydrome, although many nootropics have been recommended.

Deprenyl... Promising results could be observed in one study of Tourette's syndrome using an average dosis of 8.1 mg/ day.

#10 0824

• 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 08:00 PM

Greetsing for HigherMinds.

It is me again, with a question on tourettes and how nootropics can help. Is s DL-Phenylalanine a dopamine agonists. My reason for asking is that dopamine agonists seem to increase the tics both vocal and non vocal in tourette syndorme paients. I thought about taking it but if this is the case I may need to leave it on the shelf. Also thanks for the info on Theanine, I will give it a try. What is the best brand to take: and also do they have it in the powdered form or just pill form. I will most likely take 200 mg since that seems what most people find the most benifts. I will keep the board updated. Thanks again, HigherMind 0824

#11 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 01:46 AM

Greetsing for HigherMinds.

It is me again, with a question on tourettes and how nootropics can help.  Is s DL-Phenylalanine a dopamine agonists.  My reason for asking is that  dopamine agonists seem to increase the tics both vocal and non vocal in tourette syndorme paients.  I thought about taking it but if this is the case I may need to leave it on the shelf.  Also thanks for the info on Theanine, I will give it a try.  What is the best brand to take: and also do they have it in the powdered form or just pill form.  I will most likely take 200 mg since that seems what most people find the most benifts.  I will keep the board updated.  Thanks again, HigherMind 0824

theanine? isn´t that it increases dopamine too? just what you don´t want...

#12 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 01:41 AM

Is s DL-Phenylalanine a dopamine agonists. My reason for asking is that dopamine agonists seem to increase the tics both vocal and non vocal in tourette syndorme paients. I thought about taking it but if this is the case I may need to leave it on the shelf. Also thanks for the info on Theanine, I will give it a try.

L-Phenylalanine is a precursor to Dopamine, the D- form is a precursor to PEA (Phenylethylamine), which can effect Dopamine release.

What is the best brand to take: and also do they have it in the powdered form or just pill form. I will most likely take 200 mg since that seems what most people find the most benefits. I will keep the board updated.

Theanine is sold in tablets (source naturals) and powder form (beyond a century).
I have used up to 1,000 mg with no side effects. I would recommend start off around 400-600 mg for a therapeutic indication.

theanine? isn´t that it increases dopamine too? just what you don´t want...

Theanine (Gamma EthylAmine Glutamic acid) is a unique precursor for GABA (probably the strongest next to GHB). It does appear to have the ability to release Dopamine as well, but not to a strong degree.

#13 0824

• 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:36 AM

Where can I purshace Suntheanine ® in the powder from- I visted the website beyond a century but could not determine if that was Suntheanine ®. I see a lot of companies have it mixed in with thier products but I am looking for it by itself..

Thanks HigherMinds of the Triangle

#14 bradcure

• 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:14 PM

Can anyone point me to some studies/abstracts showing that L-Theanine actually increases GABA? The only ones I've seen shown that it increases dopamine and relieves stress, but no mentioning about GABA. Please put your input if you know connection between theanine and GABA.

#15 staz

• 58 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 12:10 AM

I read about some nootropic which went under the name nooglutyl, does anybody know of it?

Edited by staz, 27 December 2003 - 10:43 AM.

#16 LifeMirage

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 03:53 AM

It's an interesting one, but not available anywhere I know of.

• Lurker

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:27 AM

Tremendous hack, Edward, using my Avatar pic as LifeMirage's..

• Lurker

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:34 AM

As you can see, easily remedied..

#19 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:41 AM

please leave this list if possible. I plan to investigate these substances one by one. Lets see if LifeMirages recommendations were scientifically backed or whether they were driven by the marketing dollar

#20 Elusive

• 103 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Well...seeing the list of nootopics...i remembered the studies i saw on CDP_Choline and as it was demontrated that CDP benefits remained even after the washout period. So shouldn't CDP be grouped with Vinpocetine (true nootrotics) in the list above rather than in "smart drugs with nootropic effects" or may be vinpocetine can be called a smart drug with nootropic effects. I just feel that vinpocetine and CDP should be classified similarly even if the mode of action is different. May i am missing something here ...just a thought!

#21 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

Lets see if LifeMirages recommendations were scientifically backed or whether they were driven by the marketing dollar

If these kind of issues were that kind of simple.... :))

#22 Peak Noots

• 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

We have access to most of these supplements. Peaknootropics.com would like some feedback on nootropics that should be added to our store. Preferably nootropics that seems hard to find online. Looking forward to some responses and will take them seriously. Some of those listed above we are considering adding.

Thanks,
PeakNootropics.com
  • dislike x 1

#23 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Site looks good; simple, easily oriented, good prices.

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic
Nearly a complete list.

Stock up on products of mainly two categories: the New and exciting, and the Old and reliably effective.
Ex. I love my piracetam and have great belief in its usefulness.

However, I'd like to try what's new to keep this hobby interesting. I'm referring to what's talked about on the boards: phenylpiracetam, armodafinil (for example).

Sell what's getting most attention in the media, and what the experienced recommends.

Also, try to keep information about each product SHORT and RELIABLE.
Summarize the benefits of each product briefly and back it up with references.

Just giving you my opinion as a consumer. Honestly, most of us don't care which brand is on the product. Nearly everyone has the same Chinese suppliers anyway.
As long as we get the products without hassle, for a good price and no funny business (diluted or wrong product).
If you could sell Phenylpiracetam, Piracetam, the usual cholines, Noopept and the eugeroics, for a better price than Cerebralhealth and Smartpowders, I'd choose you before the other suppliers any day.

#24 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Time to put the in for the complete, its just the basic imminst old school crap for noobs they talked about back in the day, that bltc site references page has a better list.

#25 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

So glycine can enhance episodic memory?
Interesting!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#26 SmartDrugs Mexico

• 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm currently on selegiline 5 mg pills (Brand name NIAR here in Mexico) and it works pretty well for concentration, focus and motivation, when im not on selegiline i go for modafinil, brand name modiodal here... both are a little expensive but they are worth the money. on modafinil i can concentrate and plan , my verbal and working memory are very increased. I am pro smart drugs, here in mexico there is no smart drugs movements or communities or anything, the only good thing is that you can get almost any of this drugs without a prescription..... so if anyone wants something shipped from Mexico im here to help... i can purchase for you selegiline, modafinil, strattera, any SSRI, Hydergine,etc my gmail is : smartdrugsmexico

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users