• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

no more grey hair with Resveratrol = longevity?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Young Paul

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

About a year ago I started getting lots of grey on the sides of my head around the ears and beard and pubic. Now my hair is young again. the pubic is still grey but hardly noticable, while the head is 100& dark borwn. I normally take 500mg Revgenics. Would this be a sign of getting younger? I'm 47.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

About a year ago I started getting lots of grey on the sides of my head around the ears and beard and pubic. Now my hair is young again. the pubic is still grey but hardly noticable, while the head is 100& dark borwn. I normally take 500mg Revgenics. Would this be a sign of getting younger? I'm 47.

It's not possible to "get younger", it's only possible to slow down the rate of aging -- and even that is pretty difficult.

Maybe you had grey hair because of stress (inflammation) and resveratrol is relieving it.
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 3
  • Agree x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:14 AM

It tells me something you are doing is ramping up your catalase synthesis. That's a very good thing. I'd say in a way yes, you are getting younger if your catalase level is higher than it was a year ago.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:07 AM

Based on some of the studies I've read it's possible that Resveratrol could ramp up catalase levels. Whether or not this occurs to the extent possible to reverse greying of hair is another thing. Interesting anecdotal report though, Paul.

I've got three or four noticeable grey hairs, and Resv supplementation for the past 2 years has had no effect on them. I'm not noticeably developing new grey hairs though.

Edited by hamishm00, 30 January 2011 - 05:08 AM.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

Resveratrol raising catalase levels? That would be great if it's real. Over the years we've seen a number of anecdotal reports of resveratrol reversing gray hair, or at least people thinking that might have happened. Generally the reports have been for facial hair. At least the catalase connection is a plausible MOA.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#6 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

ON ANOTHER THREAD YOU SAY YOU HAVE BEEN TAKING RESVERATROL FOR 2 YEARS...
http://www.imminst.o...mean-longevity/

Longecity's mission shall be done through science, not through promoting supplements via invented / impossible anecdotes

I've been using 500mg for two years in different ways

I've been taking it for 2 years and can say that the speed effect is not placebo but after regular use (a few days) then the effect stops. This speedy effect helps me to concentrate for long periods and have lots of energy similar to plenty of red bull or amphetamines, and makes me want to clean the house and work for hours on the computer. This effect works best for me with vodka

About a year ago I started getting lots of grey

Edited by AgeVivo, 30 January 2011 - 09:10 AM.

• like x 2

#7 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

ON ANOTHER THREAD YOU SAY YOU HAVE BEEN TAKING RESVERATROL FOR 2 YEARS...
http://www.imminst.o...mean-longevity/

Longecity's mission shall be done through science, not through promoting supplements via invented / impossible anecdotes

I've been using 500mg for two years in different ways

I've been taking it for 2 years and can say that the speed effect is not placebo but after regular use (a few days) then the effect stops. This speedy effect helps me to concentrate for long periods and have lots of energy similar to plenty of red bull or amphetamines, and makes me want to clean the house and work for hours on the computer. This effect works best for me with vodka

About a year ago I started getting lots of grey

Ahh then better I shut up and let the mice tell you what happen? I understand your concern though, there are many scammers about.
A massive thank you to those that are interested in my experience and are checking this thing out.
I have been taking Res for about 2 years, but I was at first ripped off by using a dubious company, and then another company which sold me green foul smelling bitter stuff, but since about 9 months I bought a some pure stuff from the adverts pasted all over this site. I'm pleased with the results for my absent grey hair, and the speedy effects.
If you read a bit more you too will understand that these effects are also happening to others, so don't dismiss as "invented/impossible" , which is calling me a liar and which is offensive.
I cannot put a date on my grey hair, because it came one hair at a time, until I noticed a lot, then after about 6 months on Re...ge...cs I noticed it slowly getting less and less and now it's all gone. The only one's left are on my bolloks and I'm not going to take a photo of them and use it as later evidence. Oh, I also have about 15 grey hairs on my chin, so I could let them grow and take a photo, then hopefully the grey will disappear.

#8 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

wasn't protandim supposed to raise catalase levels, amongst others? never bought it, it's a mix of green tea, curcumin, silymarin, ashwagandha and bacopa. the link, fwiw.

#9 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

Reports of reversing gray hair in this forum have been very few, non-credible, and with little or no follow-up and no pictures.

I've been taking resveratrol 98% or better purity since Jan 2007. My hair was already going gray, as was that of my younger brother brother (2 year difference.) We had about the same amount of gray. My hair has continued to gray, but last summer, at a family gathering, I saw he was complete silver, I am still salt-and-pepper predominantly dark. The younger children thought he was much older than I. Could be genes or something else in the environment, not necessarily resveratrol, which he refuses to use.

In my case, there was no gray reversal, I continue graying, also slight male pattern hair loss at the temples that also continues with resveratrol use. Response to resveratrol does vary with phenotype, some people may respond more than others. In my case, resveratrol has not reversed graying, though it may just possibly have slowed it.

I did come across a patent claiming resveratrol plus curcumin in a specific formulation reverses hair loss. Something else to try.

I agree with agevivo, supplements will not achieve immortality or significant, if any, life extension. A few, very few, do improve quality of life, and perhaps can provide modest life extension.

Edited by maxwatt, 31 January 2011 - 02:46 PM.

• like x 2

#10 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

I suppose I maybe jumping to conclusions in thinking that resveratrol reversed my grey hair. I've heard many bodybuilders say that human growth hormone also reversed their grey hair too. I've been doing a lot of gym and running, maybe this increases my hgh levels, along with eating a lot of fava beans (known to increase hgh).
Or maybe my grey hair was a symptom of cheap crappy resveratrol, or a sensitivity to a certain shampoo, and this made my hair grey. But I must say, it started like most other men, first around the gonads, then the chin, then around the ears. The hair on my head is now completely dark brown, while my brother who is 5 years younger than me has lots of grey, and most of my friends at age 47.

ps.
I normally only take resveratrol and a multivitamin with extra zinc and biotin, but I do eat an uncommon diet.
lots of garlic, olive oil, tuna, distilled water, beef, chicken, kefir, brazil nuts, bananas, organic honey, fresh orange juice, sweet potato, watermelon, etc.

#11 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

I am also one of the longer term resveratrol users around here and have some gray in my beard at 43. I've certainly not noticed it going away and, if anything, I've probably added a few more gray whiskers in the last few. It didnt help my male pattern baldness either. Hair on my head is still brown with an occasional gray one.

edit for typos

Edited by malbecman, 01 February 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#12 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

Resveratrol maybe just a part of the process. I also take Biotin now and again (once per week) and a daily multivitamin. I'm growing my chin hairs to take a photo and then see if they get any better. If it works like it did on my head, it would be interesting to see what happens if I stop Resveratrol for a month.

#13 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Slightly off topic. Some anti-depressants may raise levels of brain antioxidants(I'm assuming that catalase might be one of them), I wonder if this could slow down the growth of gray hair. Zoloft may raise levels of brain antioxidants as well, I was on it for 7 years. I had about 3 grays around the vertex of my hairline in my late 20s and I did not start growing more grays in other areas of my head until I was 36. I realize this is a common age to start graying many areas. Still I wonder if the combination of being on Zoloft, avoiding any detrimental stress(which may lower catalase levels), and exercise(which I believe may also raise catalase levels) helped significantly slow down any further graying of my hair. From 35 to 37 I also went through a hellish period of dealing with bipolar disorder and was on 12 different medications throughout, none of which ever really gave me the relief I needed. I have to wonder if things had been different would I have less gray hairs. I don't care as much about my gray hairs as I did a few years ago, though I admit the few grays on my eyebrows and the one I recently found on my eyelashes bother me a bit. Oh vanity.

Here are a few links of studies showing evidence of the positive impact on brain antioxidants by sertraline(zoloft) and escitalopram(luvox). So for anyone out there taking either one of these and feeling good, this may be a reason to feel good about taking your antidepressant and keep taking it.

http://www.google.co...4NktMYQ&cad=rja

http://www.google.co...ENMnTmA&cad=rja

Maybe these studies are not good evidence that either of these antidepressants do anything significant to any antioxidant values, including catalase, I just thought it was interesting.

#14 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

I've taken a photo of my chin beard,notice about 20 grey hairs. I'm hoping that soon they'll return brown again by taking resveratrol 500mg day (opening the capsule and swishing it around the mouth)
Posted Image
  • like x 1

#15 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

I must add that I usually take Res under the tongue mixed with a spoon of vodka or rum

#16 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Honestly, with the copper chelation going on ...is it wrong for me to think resveratrol would be more likely to cause greying?

On a side note, I have been taking res for years now and it has not reduced my grey at all.

#17 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

16 months later. So far the grey hairs on my chin are the same, the grey has not been reversed but at least I haven't got any more. I think that hgh is better for this, I'll have to buy some soon, if Jintropin is still available.. But resveratrol seems to have put the greying on pause. I'm also taking vit b....PABA
  • like x 1

#18 impdaddee

• 52 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I started going grey at 14, and was pretty well completely grey by 40 (head and beard), and that was 11 years ago. (My mother claims she was grey by 25.)

Taking 150 mg./day resveratrol for well over a year has done nothing for the grey that I can notice, but it did turn me back into a "morning person" within the first month.

OTOH ... ALCAR/ALA supplementation did have an effect after a few months, and one that others noticed, unprompted. A small number of beard hairs had gone from grey back to brown. Alas, not enough by far for any excitement on my part, but more than enough to make me think, "Isn't that curious! Too bad the effect isn't a lot more pronounced."

#19 elphaba

• 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

I started going grey at 14, and was pretty well completely grey by 40 (head and beard), and that was 11 years ago. (My mother claims she was grey by 25.)

I heard that whether you are male or female, if half your hair is gray by the time you are 40, you need to be on the watch for signs of osteoporosis. Don't think taking straight calcium is in vogue these days but you might consider having a bone density scan done if you haven't already.
I think my source was the Dateline TV investigative show about 15 or 20 years ago so maybe science has changed on this. Just thought I'd mention it.

#20 impdaddee

• 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

I heard that whether you are male or female, if half your hair is gray by the time you are 40, you need to be on the watch for signs of osteoporosis. Don't think taking straight calcium is in vogue these days but you might consider having a bone density scan done if you haven't already.
I think my source was the Dateline TV investigative show about 15 or 20 years ago so maybe science has changed on this. Just thought I'd mention it.

Half grey, eh? I didn't actually count the hairs at 40, so ... ;-)

Interesting bit of information, though. I will certainly query my doctor about it.

#21 younger1

• 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Vitamin B is reported to help with grey hair.

PABA has studies that show that about 2grams a day can reverse or reduce grey hair. My numbers might be off so you should verify my claims yourself in google.

So it's probably the biotin, PABA, and vitB that you've been taking.

#22 Peder Holdgaard Pedersen

• 24 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

Resveratrol might exert it's anti-greying effect by helping the immune system get rid of infections that are encased in biofilm or cysts. Studies have shown that H2O2 is capable of breaking down biofilms. The body might be trying to get rid of something by increasing H2O2. When the biofilm is gone, the body no longer tries to get rid of it, and the hair gets the normal color back. Anecdotically my grey hair usually appear in places where I have on/off skin infections. The chest, chin, areola and temples are really good spots for bacteria to hang around. Gray hair usually coincides with regions of acne activity in earlier years (maybe the scar tissue left behind is a good place for anaerobic bacteria). I also suspect seborrheic dermatitis is in some cases anerobic bacteria making good use of scar tissue resulting from previous acne infections.

The join pain reported by some when taking resveratrol (and knotweed supplements) might be due to old dormant collagen-subsisting infections being exposed to the immune system - causing inflammation and pain in the connective tissue of the joints.

Ref:

H2O2 and biofilms ->
http://www.tandfonli...42#.VC-6cPmSxB0

http://www.researchg...drogen_peroxide
http://www.rdhmag.co...-dentistry.html
Chediak-Higashi syndrome (impaired immune system eradication of bacteria) causes increased graying of hair

Resveratrol and biofilms -> 
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24182988
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24182988

Edited by Peder Holdgaard Pedersen, 04 October 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#23 younger1

• 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

My research has led me to most hair loss being due to demodex mites eating the hair roots.  It seems that they will eat hair that is un healthy, too oily, too much of certain hormones, too much fat, too much sweet oils, and too much sweat.

If you notice that most of the natural balding rememdies are natural insecticides and they work by killing off the demodex mites.  The problem is that once they have eaten so much that the hair is gone (usually 10-20 years of eating your hair) it will take many many years to grow it back.

Tea tree oil added to your shampoo in a good amount will kill or retard the mites.  My hairline has grown a lot since applying this thinking.

My theory is that balding is just a form of mange, like on a dog that loses his hair (also from mites.)

My research on grey hair has led me to believe that it's due to stress which uses up our nutrient stores fast to counter the acidic stressful body environment.  Adding copper, paba, and vitamin B's to you diet can help and has helped me after I was over working myself.  I've seen grey hair ebb and flow according to my vitamin B and copper intake.  Raw onion juice is said to remedy grey hair too.

These are just my findings so far and may change if I learn more.  Only try something after consulting your qualified and licensed doctor.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#24 Peder Holdgaard Pedersen

• 24 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

Younger1, that is extremely fascinating. Hair loss is very common among lupus patients, who are usually very low on nutrients. Will look into demodex in this context - thanks!

• dislike x 1

#25 Saintless

• 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

I'm 32. I've been taking  between 250-500MG of resveratrol consistently since age 25.

I had no facial gray hair at 25, now I estimate I have around 30 white hairs on my chin.

I also had very few gray strands at 25 (Maybe around 5) at 32 I have around 20-25.

During this time I ate healthy, no smoking, light drinking, not overweight. Just thought I'd post my experience.

Edited by Saintless, 09 October 2014 - 09:08 PM.

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#26 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

In Chinese medicine, a plant related to Polygonum cuspidatum which is a major source of resveratrol, is traditionally used in hair-loss prevention and to restore hair color.  In fact, the herb is called "He shou wu", which means "Mr. Hayes Black Hair".  But P. cuspidatum is not used for that purpose.  And Chemically, He Shou Wu does not contain resveratrol, but another stilbene: Tetra-hydroxy-stilbene. with another "OH" group on the A ring.....

While there has been an occasional anecdotal report of less grey hair with resveratrol, none have been satisfactorily or photographically documented, and there are many more reports of  it NOT working.

If demodex mites caused gray hair, then Metrogel would turn it black; this antibiotic is prescribed topically for Acne Rosaceae and vaginally for female complaints.  It kills demodex mites.  It does not reverse gray hair. :(

• Good Point x 1

#27 younger1

• 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

the issue with demodex mites and any hair damage is that the resting phase, growth phase, and dying phase of the year is measured in 2-10 year periods and therefore if a hair follicle is eaten or damaged during the growth phase it can take 10-20 years for it to see another growth phase...  this is the problem!

Anagen phase

Anagen is the active growth phase of hair follicles[10] during which the root of the hair is dividing rapidly, adding to the hair shaft. During this phase the hair grows about 1 cm every 28 days. Scalp hair stays in this active phase of growth for 2–7 years and is genetically determined. At the end of the anagen phase an unknown signal causes the follicle to go into the catagen phase.

Catagen phase

The catagen phase is a short transition stage that occurs at the end of the anagen phase.[11] It signals the end of the active growth of a hair. This phase lasts for about 2–3 weeks while the hair converts to a club hair. A club hair is formed during the catagen phase when the part of the hair follicle in contact with the lower portion of the hair becomes attached to the hair shaft. This process cuts the hair off from its blood supply and from the cells that produce new hair. When a club hair is completely formed, about a 2 week process, the hair follicle enters the telogen phase.

Telogen phase

The telogen phase is the resting phase of the hair follicle.[12] When the body is subjected to extreme stress, as much as 70 percent of hair can prematurely enter a phase of rest, called the telogen phase. This hair begins to fall, causing a noticeable loss of hair. This condition is called telogen effluvium.[13] The club hair is the final product of a hair follicle in the telogen stage, and is a dead, fully keratinized hair.[6] Fifty to one-hundred club hair are shed daily from a normal scalp.[6]

• Informative x 2
  • dislike x 1

#28 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:09 PM

In Chinese medicine, a plant related to Polygonum cuspidatum which is a major source of resveratrol, is traditionally used in hair-loss prevention and to restore hair color.  In fact, the herb is called "He shou wu", which means "Mr. Hayes Black Hair".  But P. cuspidatum is not used for that purpose.  And Chemically, He Shou Wu does not contain resveratrol, but another stilbene: Tetra-hydroxy-stilbene. with another "OH" group on the A ring.....

While there has been an occasional anecdotal report of less grey hair with resveratrol, none have been satisfactorily or photographically documented, and there are many more reports of  it NOT working.

If demodex mites caused gray hair, then Metrogel would turn it black; this antibiotic is prescribed topically for Acne Rosaceae and vaginally for female complaints.  It kills demodex mites.  It does not reverse gray hair. :(

For graying, not working for me, so far: resveratrol, C60EVOO, NR, pterostilbene.

Too early to tell: MitoQ, maca.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 ZuoCi

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

My research has led me to most hair loss being due to demodex mites eating the hair roots.  It seems that they will eat hair that is un healthy, too oily, too much of certain hormones, too much fat, too much sweet oils, and too much sweat.

If you notice that most of the natural balding rememdies are natural insecticides and they work by killing off the demodex mites.  The problem is that once they have eaten so much that the hair is gone (usually 10-20 years of eating your hair) it will take many many years to grow it back.

Tea tree oil added to your shampoo in a good amount will kill or retard the mites.  My hairline has grown a lot since applying this thinking.

Nearly 100% of people have demodex mites. Yet many people(especially women) don't usually bald. I can't promise the demodex mites aren't making matters worse, but I'm skeptical. They've also been blamed for acne, and when most people cover their face in tree tea oil, the mites do indeed die... where they dissolve into a liquid. The acne bacteria then feasts on the liquid and they have a horrible flare up. After about 3 months of flares, their new almost demodex-free skin, is exactly as bad as before the treatment(plus all the extra red marks and scarring).

So while it is true that balding people have demodex mites, so do non-balding people. And while it is true that tea tree oil will kill them, I see no evidence that this helps balding or acne in the slightest. Malassezia yeast may mildly contribute to people who already have MPB, as the yeast can cause mild swelling, which obviously aggravates the already shrinking follicles. Ketokozine can be used to kill off Malassezia yeast, one layer at a time, by putting it directly on the scalp twice a week and leaving it set for an hour. Though there isn't any way to get rid of the yeast deeper in the skin. You can only get rid of it near the surface.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users