Photo

Vitamin K2 MK4 vs. MK7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

I just wanted to post something anecdotal on this forum. For the past 6 months I have used MK7 for the first 2 months (90mcg/day Jarrow's) and then MK4 for the the next 2 months (3mg/day, Thorne), then switched back to MK7. The rest of my supplementation regimen did not change and I took it at the same time (dinner) everytime. I have to say that on MK4 my teeth are smoother, any sensitivities I have disappear, and they have less stains. While on MK7 it seems like my dental health degrades. I have just switched back to MK4 and I'm noticing a improvement in dental health again. From now on I'm sticking with MK4. Does anyone else experience this effect?
  • like x 5

#2 Donnie

• 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

I've been supplementing mk-7 for some time and just recently introduced butter. I've noticed a change for the better in my sensitivities as well. I've been considering to buy butter oil to get a 'real' source of mk-4 but the owner of Green pasture couldn't give me an answer about the specific mk-4 content. I might try to cross experiment thorne's and butter oil to see where the dose benefit seems to match.

#3 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

I just wanted to post something anecdotal on this forum. For the past 6 months I have used MK7 for the first 2 months (90mcg/day Jarrow's) and then MK4 for the the next 2 months (3mg/day, Thorne), then switched back to MK7. The rest of my supplementation regimen did not change and I took it at the same time (dinner) everytime. I have to say that on MK4 my teeth are smoother, any sensitivities I have disappear, and they have less stains. While on MK7 it seems like my dental health degrades. I have just switched back to MK4 and I'm noticing a improvement in dental health again. From now on I'm sticking with MK4. Does anyone else experience this effect?

I know this is a slightly older thread, but rather than start a new one I just wanted to chuck another anecdotal experience into the pot. I've noticed the same things with regard to MK4. Or rather, I was just going about my business not paying attention, and people close to me started commenting on my teeth. So yesterday I gave them a good examination in the mirror and it's quite true - my teeth look better. They have less stains and look more universally colored. For a number of years they've had that weird mottled look, I don't know what it's called, but as a layman the best description is that they looked varied in density with some spots appearing "denser" than others, and the tips almost looking translucent to a degree. I'm sure it was just a pattern of staining. This is great, because I have been concerned about my teeth as I get older. All of my tea, coffee & nicotine use really started catching up with my oral health.

I've also noticed my gums, which are pretty healthy to begin with, look healthier.

This is the first winter I've supplemented with D3 and MK4. 5000iu and 5mg respectively, and whatever is in vimmortal. I take the d3 on alternate days.

Edited by distinct, 14 April 2011 - 01:07 PM.

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

From nicotine do you mean smoking or chewing?

#5 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

From nicotine do you mean smoking or chewing?

Most of the staining came from cigarette smoking. These days, I have a pipe full of plain tobacco after dinner. So yeah, smoke. I could never stand the thought of chewing.

#6 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:49 AM

Ah, I just thought you may be supplementing nicotine. It seems to have some neuroprotective effects but the data is very preliminary.

#7 distinct

• 114 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

Ah, I just thought you may be supplementing nicotine. It seems to have some neuroprotective effects but the data is very preliminary.

Well, in a non-imminst-approved way I am. ;)

Seriously though, when I first quit cigarettes I was supplementing nicotine via the patch. When I go on vacation or long weekends and the pipe is inconvenient, I just use a 21mg patch cut up into quarters. 1/4 of a patch is plenty for the whole day. I find that with the pipe or the patch, going without is easy. With cigarettes, it wasn't, not at all.

Even with two years of NO nicotine whatsoever, I never felt as good as I do supplementing LOW levels of nicotine. I do keep my eye out for studies, and try to mitigate the damage, but that's as far as I go.

#8 Uber_hippie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yes! I am just realizing that I have not been imagining this. When I started taking MK-7 my gums bled more and they receded. Maybe I'll try MK-4. People seem to like that form of K2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users