• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can an accumulation of hormetic-inducing stressors be harmful?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:36 AM

http://www.futurepun...ves/007936.html

So polyphenols act as stressors.

We also know that calorie restriction can induce hormesis (in some animals). And also, that exercise also induces hormesis.

And according to the hormetic theory, it's low levels of damage that are optimal for lifespan.

So if you add several layers of hormesis, then couldn't that end up as a net bodily harm? You're adding enough stressors such that you're past the hormetic amount of additional stress.

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

So polyphenols act as stressors....

So if you add several layers of hormesis, then couldn't that end up as a net bodily harm? You're adding enough stressors such that you're past the hormetic amount of additional stress.

I reduced the amounts of redundant adaptogens and polyphenols in my regimen for this reason. I am unsure where that point could be, but I would imagine that the diminishing returns of benefits justify seeing the intake of each supplement as an individual as well as in context of the whole. While theoretical, it also aligns closer to 'do no harm'.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users