• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

3D Printing gets closer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but feel free to move if needed.

Not quite nanotech, but certainly part of a shift in the way we manufacture.

http://www.theaustra...x-1226017587198

This is looking like the beginning of the next phase of manufacturing. I suspect we will begin to see a lot more of this sort of thing.

5 or 10 years from now, maybe these will be common in the home.

#2 PWAIN

• Topic Starter
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:36 AM

Food too...

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...d-printers.html

:-D

#3 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

It's a good spot for it, but I cover 3d printing all the time in my discussion thread.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

i've heard of this before. i wonder if they'll ever be able to create a human brain in this fashion? or maybe even copy an existing human brain/mind? interesting.

........LOL oops, i thought this article/post was referring to organ printing/growing lol. still very cool tho!

Edited by drus, 18 March 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#5 Neorxnawang

• 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Those of you interested in 3D printing may also be interested in this, when it comes online:

http://www.ineedthispart.com

#6 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Today i read that the TU-Wien has built a 3d-Printer for 1.200 €.
http://www.zdnet.de/...-41553249-1.htm

Havent found anything in english yet, but ill try again later.

#7 yorwos

• 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

http://amt.tuwien.ac.at/home/
its all in english

#8 Jjammem

• 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hahaa charrles this would be the turn of the decade!

#9 YAGOOFT

• 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Interesting,

I have never seen any technology prices drop faster than with 3D printers. I paid over $5K a couple years ago, and now they are less than the first office copier I purchased. lol

Success to all, Mike

#10 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

More important are the 3d printers, that use stem cells as an ink, and print 3d organs. Do You know the progress in this technology?

#11 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Iam more or less interessted to build a website for a community of people who are interessted to do that at home and maybe help others to advance in this field.
Unfortunately i havent found a good CMS and iam still searching, i treid drupal but iam not really happy with it.

Do you have any ideas?

#12 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

i wonder if they'll ever be able to create a human brain in this fashion?

Not soon enough to make it significant.

3D printers are developed by a very small closed community with limited budgets and that won't change for many decades to come - the thing they're used for is personalized one of a kind models and are rarely used even by the people that need them (special fx sculptors, designers of all kinds, etc) as such they are not a commodity.

Most of 3D printers use plastic. Some use metals or glass. But every 3D printer uses ONLY ONE material (not at a time, they generally only can do plastic or metal), hell they can't even do more than one color yet (only one printing head).

Human organs are normally made by more than one type of cells - the brain is made out of 4 for instance. So that's the first (and the much easier to tackle) hurdle - to make a 3D printer which can alternate materials.

The next and much harder problem is resolution, just spraying cells randomly like they do for cartilage won't cut it if they want to copy a brain, they'd need a a printer which can place the cells exactly where they should be. We're not even close to that level of precision.

That being said 3D printers are great. If you want a unique light fixture.

#13 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

I saw a report on CNN, or some news outlet, a few weeks ago ... 3D printers are all the rage in high-end bakeries, pastry shops, and confectionary stores world wide.

Someone found they could use different types of pastry dough, chocolate, colored sugar formulas, etc, to form colorful, intricate, custom, edible 3-D designs, and it's revolutionizing those culinary areas in still unexplored artistic ways ... as we ponder light fixtures here?

Posted Image

Edited by trance, 01 October 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

High end pastries- A triumph of advanced technology! All hail The Singularity!

#15 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

A941, I found a gnu 3d printer comunity, that has the aim to generate a 3d printer, that can be reproduced at home. They claim, that their project is trying to generate a gnu 3d printer, which means, that their technologies can be used legally for free. Moreover, they claim, that they try to make it possible the majority of the 3d printer parts to be able to be printed from same models of 3d printer, so if one gets one printer, he can reproduce the printer at an extremely low cost. If You have technical knowledge, perhaps You will be able to use their schematics (since it is gnu and adapted for home usage), change it, so it to be possible to print with stem cells in some sort of supporting medium (perhaps some agar - like substances).

P.S. they call themselves rep rap
http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

#16 rauzal

• 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

3D Printing is already getting awesome. I mean, people were able to print a fully eatable 3D Pizza

#17 nevlugion

• 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Have there been any developments in 3d printing organs recently?  :|o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users