Photo
- - - - -

Best time of the day to take Bacopa?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Heinstein

• 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:47 AM

Hi, I've been reading that bacopa is a safe and pretty effective cognitive enhancer. Yesterday I found Blackmores Ginkgo Brahmi locally for only $21! It contains 3g of Bacopa monnieri extract(equiv to whole plan, standardised to contain bacosides 67.5mg) and 3g of Ginkgo biloba. I'd like to try this nootropic to see how well it affects me.

I have a few questions before starting this herb:
1. When should I take this pill? I've heard that bacopa makes you sleepy so should I take it before bed/before dinner?
2. How many should I take? Blackmores recommends 1 tablet twice a day with a meal is it okay to take 2 tablets at night?
3. Is this herb really safe? I've heard that it could contain heavy metals which concerns me.

Thanks!

#2 Heinstein

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

I just took 1 tablet tonight before work and while the effect was subtle, I could feel the anxiolytic/sedative effect and my concentration improved, I also worked harder than usual. I'm going to take this before dinner because the anxiolytic effect was pretty mild, but I still don't know how much I should take? the bottle says 2 tablets daily, is that the optimal dose?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Heinstein

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:17 AM

I took 1 tablet at 7.30pm last night and another at 10.30pm. I went to bed at 2 am and felt uncomfortable in the stomach and couldn't get to deep sleep until 6am. I woke up at 10am and I felt not too tired but the sleep I got was horrible.

The side effect of Ginkgo is restlesness, so is ginkgo bad to take before bed? Or was the insomia caused by Bacopa?

#4 Kewell

• 45 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:29 AM

Hi, I've been reading that bacopa is a safe and pretty effective cognitive enhancer. Yesterday I found Blackmores Ginkgo Brahmi locally for only $21! It contains 3g of Bacopa monnieri extract(equiv to whole plan, standardised to contain bacosides 67.5mg) and 3g of Ginkgo biloba. I'd like to try this nootropic to see how well it affects me.

I have a few questions before starting this herb:
1. When should I take this pill? I've heard that bacopa makes you sleepy so should I take it before bed/before dinner?
2. How many should I take? Blackmores recommends 1 tablet twice a day with a meal is it okay to take 2 tablets at night?
3. Is this herb really safe? I've heard that it could contain heavy metals which concerns me.

Thanks!

I take solaray's bacopa and found that it improves my retention an memory alot.
I usually take one tablet in the morning. There is a feeling of fatigue, not sleepiness for me.
It usually goes away after about one hour. You can try taking it in the night as it might be better.
I am not sure about the toxicity but haven't gotten ill from it (have been taking it for a year now.)

Edited by Kewell, 30 April 2011 - 05:30 AM.

#5 Heinstein

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

This is my second day of taking bacopa. I'm only taking 1 pill now, I have to take it in late afternoon or else I can't get to sleep at night, probably from Ginkgo? I started having vivid dream which I expected. I also don't like how it makes me feel sedated. I heard that bacopa only helps with memory retension which I'm not sure if it that helpful.

#6 enoch1

• 130 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi taking the same product and from Melbourne. The ginkgo gave me heart palpitations and restlessness but alot of energy, it does contain bacopa which I highly doubt caused the side effect. I'm going to purchase bacopa on it's own.

Has anyone experienced memory improvement wit bacopa ?

#7 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

Has anyone experienced memory improvement wit bacopa ?

I have used it for couple months only, and it has earned a permanent place on my stack (I settled on the extract from Swanson's, 250mg caps, 45% baccosides, one cap in the morning, one in the evening). The effect that attracted me was not an outright memory improvement, although I did notice some, along with an improved mental flexibility or agility. Instead, it was an interesting tingling, a kind of gentle, pleasant itch/tickle/breeze sweeping in waves across the frontal lobes, which is especially noticable as I am falling asleep or waking up, that reminds me of the growth/healing tingling one feels when a skin cut is healing cleanly. I interpret the sensation as the internal sensory feedback from the stimulated neural growth (which is consistent with animal research on Bacopa mentioned here while back). I didn't see this sensory effect mentioned in earlier discussions on Bacopa and I wonder whether anyone else has noticed anything similar.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 enoch1

• 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

Swasons brand is the most effective ? Any others ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users