Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

comparison thread: modafnil vs adrafinil vs armodafinil

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

any significant difference between these three?

or other suggestions for substances that would work well as a once or twice a week getting-shit-done substance?

#2 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

Hi CSRPJ,
Unfortunately my Adrafinil did not arrive yet, but I will report on Adrafinils effects once it showed up.

I made good experiance with Modafinil in the past. I was just not able to use it more than 3 days in a row without getting skin irritation.

My concentration is obviously enhanced on 200mg Modafinil. On some days I would even use 100mg with good (moderate) effects.

I can not think of an comparable study aid except Ritalin which is usually compared to Modafinil in public discussions.

The effects of the two are very different though. Modafinil made me feel like in a warm (bloodpressure :)?) calm trance.

Ritalin made me more obsessive or manic about the tasks to do.

Modafinil did not do so much motivation wise, but I always had a bad guilty conscience when I stopped studying. In case I did stop studying I "had" to clean my room, organizing papers ... beeing productive.

I had the Spyer Modafinil before and will try the Sun Pharma brand the coming weeks. I will compare those two with Adrafinil with my next post.

As stated a lot before :) I get very good results from Oxiracetam (Smartpowders) am and pm @ 750mg .
I did not know before that racetams can have such an "eugeroic" effect. Piracetam and Aniracetam use to make me a bit mellow.
Probably Oxiracetam has some more AMPA activity as supposed.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 csrpj

• Topic Starter
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

for sure keep us posted.

i'm thinking to buy at least one, but possibly all three of these, and am curious what everyone has to say.

anybody try armodafinil? i've read of it advertised as modafnil 2.0, curious if there's any truth to this.

#4 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

Currently taking 250mg armodafinil daily. To be honest, I kind of prefer modafinil. It seems to have a little more of a quick kick to it. Probably that isomer with a short half life peaking. Other than that, I can't tell the difference between Nuvigil and modafinil (Sun Pharma). I'd probably have continued taking modafinil, but Cephalon has jacked the price since Nuvigil was FDA approved. With an Rx, Provigil is twice the price of Nuvigil. Their way of getting everyone onto Nuvigil before Provigil's patent expires.

Edited by KimberCT, 09 May 2011 - 09:44 AM.

#5 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

Currently taking 250mg armodafinil daily. To be honest, I kind of prefer modafinil. It seems to have a little more of a quick kick to it. Probably that isomer with a short half life peaking. Other than that, I can't tell the difference between Nuvigil and modafinil (Sun Pharma). I'd probably have continued taking modafinil, but Cephalon has jacked the price since Nuvigil was FDA approved. With an Rx, Provigil is twice the price of Nuvigil. Their way of getting everyone onto Nuvigil before Provigil's patent expires.

Do you get a weird pressure sensation on your frontal lobe when it kicks in? I feel some pressure on the side of my head and on the front. Not a bad pressure, but just wondering.

#6 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

I do have this pressure in my head the whole time being on Modafinil. It's not painful but still uncomfortable.
I allways blamed blood pressure for this sensation, though I do not experianced this with amphetamine type stimulants that rise blood pressure more imo.
It will have to do with the mechanism Modafinil works. I feel like my brain is wrapped in cotton candy. Ok sounds a bit like opioids, but I mean it in a productive manner.

#7 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

Do you get a weird pressure sensation on your frontal lobe when it kicks in? I feel some pressure on the side of my head and on the front. Not a bad pressure, but just wondering.

No, nothing I've noticed. I do take nebivolol so that may be the reason. Since modafinil has some effect on alpha1 adrenoreceptors it could be causing some vasoconstriction. I know headache is a common side effect.

#8 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

I read modafinal is a a nor-epinephrine reuptake inhibitor, which might explain the sensation in some people.

#9 nezxon

• 218 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

any significant difference between these three?

or other suggestions for substances that would work well as a once or twice a week getting-shit-done substance?

I'm taking 75mg Adrafinil (Olmifon) twice daily and I haven't experienced any side effects. I'd like to give Armodafinil a try, perhaps even safer in the long-term than Modafinil is.

#10 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi Nezxon,

How is the Adrafinil?

I will receive a pack Olmifon the coming days so I'm a bit curious.

I liked Modafinil alot, but heard that Adrafinil does not do too much.

Do you agree, or do you think Adrafinil is a good addition?

Do you take it every day or ocasionaly?

Did you try Modafinil to compare?

Do you break the 300mg pill in quarters or does it come in this size as well?

Does it help your concentration alot, I mean 75mg x 2 are not very much I suppose.

So many questions :)

#11 nezxon

• 218 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hi Nezxon,

How is the Adrafinil?

I will receive a pack Olmifon the coming days so I'm a bit curious.

I liked Modafinil alot, but heard that Adrafinil does not do too much.

Do you agree, or do you think Adrafinil is a good addition?

Do you take it every day or ocasionaly?

Did you try Modafinil to compare?

Do you break the 300mg pill in quarters or does it come in this size as well?

Does it help your concentration alot, I mean 75mg x 2 are not very much I suppose.

So many questions :)

I love Adrafinil, my buddy Jiminy on this board also took it for a week and loved the effects but he seemed to be the rare few that has skin sensitivity with it.

I didn't try Modafinil to compare, from what I've read Adrafinil is metabolized into Modafinil, so the effects should be the same except that Adrafinil takes longer to take effect. Taking both should be like taking double the dose of either.

I take 75mg twice every day (about 5 hours apart), yeah I quarter the 300mg pills but unfortunately they're not scored so each dose is slightly off I'm sure.

I started by taking 300mg Adrafinil which worked great, I immediately cut it back to 150mg and that worked just as well, so I cut back to 75mg (effective doses are reported to be between 50mg and 600mg per day). Starting tomorrow I'm going to increase the dose back to 150mg twice daily, I think 75mg might be a bit too low.

#12 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:06 AM

I'm really curious to know the difference between Adrafinil and Modafinil specifically. I've only had experience with Adrafinil because of it being an uncontrolled substance in the states. Anyone have any experience ordering Modafinil from India to the US? And is the difference between the two noticeable at all?

#13 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi Nezxon,

Thank you for letting me know!

My order arrived :) thumbs up for QHI

I will do it the same way you did. First try 300mg than try to cut back to 150mg. After experimenting a bit I will report back about the comparison to Modafinil.

I allready tried and loved the generic Spier Modafinil and should have the Sun Pharma Modafinil in my mailbox in a couple of days. So I will compare all three.

I also get skin problems when taking Modafinil 3 days in a row, so I guess it will be the same with Adrafinil.

There will be just Armodafinil missing. I hope I will be able to report on that some time.

Is there any chance to get hold on that online?

Edited by Cephalon, 12 May 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#14 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Tried Olmifon 300mg this morning. It feels exactly like Modafinil just weaker. For me 300mg Adrafinil equal about 50 - 100 mg Spier Modafinil.
While Modafinil is already very smooth to kick in and to come down compared to other stimulants, I hardly noticed Adrafinils effects to start at all.
I guess this is due to the metabolisation of Adrafinil to Modafinil. Modafinil levels build up gradually and do not peak all by a sudden.
Today was a very productive day so far. I feel a bit like this guy in the limitless movie (I know its mainstream), when nothing was left of NZT's effect, but his flat was cleaned, his book was half written ... :)
It's 6 hours past ingestion of the Olmifon and I notice the effects to get a bit weaker but they are still there.
For now I will stick to 300mg Olmifon on occasion (1/week) as I suppose 150mg might be too weak. For me a single dose of 600mg is not necessary either.

One effect I noticed with Adrafinil, that is always there when I use Modafinil, is a strange breath, taste sensation. Hard to describe ...
Imagine you were out on the weekend, drinking too much and don't get a conection home, so you turn sober before you are in bed. When breathing I have this weired taste/sensation. It's not the alcohol, but I think some metabolites (from aldehyd dehydrogenase?) or something that your body gets rid of over the lungs. (probably aldehyde bodies, or acetate or something?)
Long story short, I have the same breath with Modafinil/ Adrafinil.

Next I will compare Spier to Sun Pharma brand Modafinil.

Edited by Cephalon, 14 May 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#15 csoki

• 33 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:35 AM

Quick question:
Does armodafinil should make the urine smell the same as modafinil?

(I've only tried modalert so far and the smell off my urine was really "special" everytime I took. Yesterday I've tried waklert (armodafinil) for the first time and I did'nt really noticed that garbage set on fire smell at the loo.)

#16 mothercoya

• 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hi CSRPJ,
Unfortunately my Adrafinil did not arrive yet, but I will report on Adrafinils effects once it showed up.

I made good experiance with Modafinil in the past. I was just not able to use it more than 3 days in a row without getting skin irritation.

My concentration is obviously enhanced on 200mg Modafinil. On some days I would even use 100mg with good (moderate) effects.

I can not think of an comparable study aid except Ritalin which is usually compared to Modafinil in public discussions.

The effects of the two are very different though. Modafinil made me feel like in a warm (bloodpressure :)?) calm trance.

Ritalin made me more obsessive or manic about the tasks to do.

Modafinil did not do so much motivation wise, but I always had a bad guilty conscience when I stopped studying. In case I did stop studying I "had" to clean my room, organizing papers ... beeing productive.

I had the Spyer Modafinil before and will try the Sun Pharma brand the coming weeks. I will compare those two with Adrafinil with my next post.

As stated a lot before :) I get very good results from Oxiracetam (Smartpowders) am and pm @ 750mg .
I did not know before that racetams can have such an "eugeroic" effect. Piracetam and Aniracetam use to make me a bit mellow.
Probably Oxiracetam has some more AMPA activity as supposed.

Ditto for me: Provigil at 100mg has made me a little more calmer, my concentration has increased while doing boring things, but not necessarily motivated to do anything. Spontaneous anxious thoughts that often disturbed my concentration has decreased, but I am still very anxious in social situations. I just started on 200mg.

#17 mothercoya

• 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

Provigil 100mg
The pressure for me tends to be on the left side of my brain, unlike Adderall, which at first was on the right and then went to left side...wierd

#18 nezxon

• 218 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

I feel a bit like this guy in the limitless movie (I know its mainstream), when nothing was left of NZT's effect, but his flat was cleaned, his book was half written ... :)

Thanks for telling us how it's going. I know what you mean, the scene with him cleaning his apartment occurs to me every time I clean (which admittedly wasn't very often before I started taking nootropics). Almost makes me think the screenwriter must've taken Adrafinil because that was one of the most sudden effects, a desire to be very neat.

One effect I noticed with Adrafinil, that is always there when I use Modafinil, is a strange breath, taste sensation. Hard to describe ...

Adrafinil definitely has a really bad smell and taste, like body-odor smell which makes breaking the tabs in half painful. I haven't had the smell manifest in urine or breath though.

#19 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi Nezxon,

Yes I always clean my flat when on Adrafinil or Modafinil and it is amazing what I get done.
Not that I'm living in a rat hole, but when finished my books are sorted in the shelfs by publishing date, my shirts are sorted by fabric and color the television control is placed on a table in exact 90degree angle.
I'm exaggerating :) but this scence is not too far away from reality. Probably the mechanism of action is to cause OCD in healthy people?
I'm sure the screen writer was on Adrafinil or Modafinil himself. This was just too familiar.
Probably he was even researching on Imminst and read this thread: http://www.longecity...__1#entry406351 :)

It's not so much the smell/ taste of the tablets but something that must have to do with metabolization and sulfur or aldehyde ketones or something.
I heard that diabetics can have such a breath sensation that can get you of the impression the person drank alcohol, but it's just due their metabolization.
I will research this ... :)

Edited by Cephalon, 19 May 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#20 csoki

• 33 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Does it makes sense that 200mg modafinil and a coffee never caused hypertension+elevated heart rate but 75mg armodafinil + same coffee do cause?

#21 nezxon

• 218 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

Does it makes sense that 200mg modafinil and a coffee never caused hypertension+elevated heart rate but 75mg armodafinil + same coffee do cause?

It's not implausible that modafinil's inactive (S)-enantiomer suppresses caffeine's hypertensive and tachycardic side effects. Because armodafinil is only the active (R )-enantiomer, it wouldn't suppress caffeine's side effects in that case. I'm not aware of any research to isolate interactions between modafinil/armodafinil + caffeine so I'm not suggesting that's actually what's happening.

Otherwise, there's nothing I can think of that would cause armodafinil to exhibit more side effects than modafinil, except perhaps impurities or contamination from improper storage, manufacturing or the like.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 nuvigillover

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

I started taking provigil 150 a day then moved up to 150 twice a day. At first it was great. I had motivation and energy that i haven't had in a long time. Then that changed. About a month into my twice a day I had no motivation and i found myself staring out the window almost in tears (i never cry) wondering why i was alive and not sure if i wanted to be. I got scared of myself and realized i had to make a change. I started doing some research and it said nuvigil was provigil missing one isomer (sp) and that the one missing was the one that caused some people problems. So, called the doc and told him what was up and he agreed to switch to nuvigil. The thing i noticed is nuvigil (250 a day) is much cleaner and i don't get the dread feelings like provigil. After a while the excessive energy tapors off a little so i started chewing them and that helped alot. The final push was when i added acetyl l carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. That really gave me the sustained energy i need and a clear mind. The bottom line is just because i had that result doen't mean someone else will. I saw where one person said provigil made them calmer than nuvigil and for me that will not work. I need all the energy i can get without going to adderall or something like that.

I hope my experience will help someone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users