- - - - -

2Q's: is it ok to open capsule to take powder inside buccally? Wh

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Pink

• 226 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

2 questions

1) i picked up some transmax 500mg capsules that are 99% t-res. would it be wiser for me to open the capsule and take the powder within through oral absorbtion (buccal)? i'm not sure if you can just pop open a capsule and do what people do with the powder.

2) another question, what happens to t-res capsules once they go beyond their expiration date? are they still safe to take, just not as effective?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:10 AM

2 questions

1) i picked up some transmax 500mg capsules that are 99% t-res. would it be wiser for me to open the capsule and take the powder within through oral absorbtion (buccal)? i'm not sure if you can just pop open a capsule and do what people do with the powder.

2) another question, what happens to t-res capsules once they go beyond their expiration date? are they still safe to take, just not as effective?

Opening the capsules might be messy; the halves of some "lock" together, and cannot be easily pulled apart. Cutting with a sharp knife or razor blade might work. If they use fillers or flow agents, those may not be entirely absorbed bucally or sublingually, but they won't be harmful. Silicon dioxide (sand) is a common filler, and magnesium stearate a common flow agent.

The expiration date is a cover-your-ass kind of thing. Many medications remain effective past the official expiration date, especially if kept in the dark at a cool temperature, and sealed from moisture. Most herbal extracts are specified with a two year shelf life from date of manufacture, sometimes three. A few months past the date on the label is likely to still be good. Ten years, maybe not so much.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mr. Pink

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

thx for the answer max. Glad to hear it would be safe, albeit potentially messy. But my question is, do you think it would make it more effective?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users