- - - - -

DMAE sucks!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

I´ve been on DMAE for about 4-5months and can proclaim that it is not a nootropic, I got them on sale and that´s why I bought them. Im on 100mg tabs, sometimes up to 4pills a day.

Side-effects:
Hyperactivity, it´s like Im on meth. I just cant stop moving around, SERIOUSLY people think Im on drugs!
Ambitionloss, I don´t even study when Im on these, even if I try! (Severe impact on my grades).
Loss of planning, I just do different chores and jump from one thing to another without any strategy. (Home is cleaner though).
Loss of memory, YES LOSS OF MEMORY! I can´t remember what I´ve learned because my memory becomes all scattered.
Chewing, I had to chew chewing gum all of the time, it´s like my mouth had to be working.

Effects:
Instant recall, I did remember some old stuff that I´ve learned in the past, it just popped up instantly without hesitation, like a flash through my brain. The desired effect happened at very few occasions and just about 2-3 times.
Introspection, I remember negative stuff from the past much easier, I can see the past in front of my like it was on a projector. Its like it happened yesterday. (Great for psychotherapy!) If psychotherapy works is your conclusion to make.
Weight- loss, my abs are starting to show. A hint of a slight degree.
Improved muscle tonus, A hint of a slight degree.
Less social phobia, a hint of an improvement.
Less erections, no time for boners here.
Deeper sleep, this is actually the one and only positive effect I´ve had that I see as an important notice to make. It actually shortened my desire to sleep by (30min)-(1h) -(1½h) at a daily basis.
Faster hair growth, hair on my head grew a lot faster. (Didn´t get any new hair though.)
Addiction to routines, If I did something the day before, a routine or something, then I felt that I needed to do that the next day also. It was like a craving, the lack of motivation stopped it though. But it was a deep sense that I´ve never had before. I just do things normally when Im not on drugs, with a lot of selfpush though.
Better reflexes, If it´s a desired effect I don´t know, maybe not for stressed people. You become a bit jumpy and you see your reflexes in your head, it´s like your reflex- thinking is constantly on. (Might help in martial arts).

Lucid dreaming, happened at 2 incidents. One night I was working in autocad and when I went to sleep I woke up by trying to catch the part I made because I thought it was floating above me. (Really sucky dream, I know).
Second incident was when I went to the kitchen, everything was hazy gray and when I looked up at the clouds I saw a beautiful grey sky (hyper- real in 3d HD here) then I looked between the clouds and thunder appeared. Then another struck and all of a sudden a lot of flashes were hitting eachother, they made a ball of lightning and it was coming at me now in 3D! I woke up and thought, holy shit, that wasn´t real? My adrenaline was pumping!

Conclusion. I wont take DMAE ever again, it is not a nootropic!

You feel scattered, your mind feels scattered and it feels like you cant focus. The only times it could be a benefit would be if you are going to a shrink and don't work/study at all and don´t need to think, you feel slightly retarded. It maybe something for those suffering from post- traumatic stress. The side- effects really outweigh ever desired effect and the desired effects are really not happening as you´d want to. They happen on numerous occasions and it is not anything that can be controlled. Im glad that Im finishing the last bottle. It´s just a weird drug with no real benefits and it has strange effects. I hope that there is no permanent damage. Thank you!

Edited by Brainfogged, 18 May 2011 - 05:37 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1

#2 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

i like some of the positivee effects u listed actually.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

The side- effects outweigh the positive like motivation vs routine.

But shure, if you want to see it is an option.... Do know that the positive nootropic results happened at a few occasions only.

#4 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm amazed you experience such a litany of effects, it's a real sleeper for me in terms of producing results, though I notice a bit of heightened alertness sometimes or hard-to-describe feelings in my head.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#5 DaneV

• 98 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

Interesting... I took it for about a month but i didn't notice anything at all...
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 What'sAllThisThen

• 101 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

I've gotten similar sleep and dream results from Phosphatidlyserine. My dreams seem longer, more imaginative and more vivid. I wouldn't say lucid as I've had lucid dreams where I feel completely conscious but aware that I'm in a dream. Sleep is deeper too I think. I don't wake up feeling tired either. I'm not sure if this coincided with the start of taking phosphatidylserine, but recently as a month ago for several weeks in a row I was waking up not wanting to get up. Now, I just get up for the most part. No, "I don't want to go to work/school" feeling.

Edit: I've been taking it for close to 3 weeks now.

Edited by What'sAllThisThen, 19 May 2011 - 02:32 AM.

#7 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

My best guess is that you screwed up the acetylcholine-to-dopamine ratio.

I would recommend raising both at the same time, and having both DMAE and cocoa powder in one's regimen. (Works for me.)

#8 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

New studies claim that dmae doesn´t have anything to do with choline.
  • Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#9 Ichoose2live

• 200 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Have you tried Centrophenoxine?

#10 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

Not available in my country:( Is it any good??

#11 Digital Nuro

• 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

Not available in my country:( Is it any good??

I have taken DMAe before ( vitamin shoppe brand) and it gave me headaches if used more than one day in a row. I do like Cento ( no headaches) but only take it occasionally as it kinda makes me sleepy sometimes after it wears off.
Good calm focus when it works though. I get the Cognitive nutrition brand. ( pills are very hard and if you dont drink a full glass of water with it you might lose your lunch) if anyone has a better source PM me.

#12 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

My DMAE tastes sour/lemony and I didn't have any problems taking them, even sublingual.

#13 tommix

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

I´ve been on DMAE for about 4-5months and can proclaim that it is not a nootropic, I got them on sale and that´s why I bought them. Im on 100mg tabs, sometimes up to 4pills a day.

So god damn it stupid people- STOP TAKING huge amounts of everything!! people are stupid and always thinks that the more they take the better effects, it's not true. You always have to keep in mind physiological doses! And add maybe +10% tops 20% not take 5 times more than body ever produced. There is many sites telling that hi doses - yours IS -have nly bad effects, you have to take 50-100mg of pure DMAE, not 400mg. Anyway DMAE is kinda shitty supplement it does damage in long term use, because it's inhibiting important shit in brain, forgot the terms i'm non english speaking person so it's kinda hard to remember those medical terms.

So ALWAYS use lower doses than supplement sites suggests. Melatonin-peple takes 10mg!!! when 0.3mg is working superb!
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#14 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Yep, the poster above me is right on most points.

Dosage is very important - and some supplements aren't to be used all the time. Sometime, a supplement works only if you take once in a long while. Others work in low dosage, and some work in higher dosages.

It depends on many things - some supplements, nootropics or drugs are much more effective if you have some disorder like Depression or Anxiety - and may require a higher dosage for example to compensate for your physiological deficiencies. 400mg DHEA daily for one week did wonder to my depression and memory issues. I'll write about it in a few weeks when I can evaluate myself again and see the long term effects and whether the positive effects will remain, but for now, it helps tremendously. I've done it after reading different studies about the effects of DHEA and cognition and depression.

Anyway I used a very high dosage - a pharmaceutical dosage, and if taken for longer periods, the side effects common to DHEA will certainly appear and pretty fast with such a dosage for someone my age (23).

You can try to change also the time of the day when you take DMAE - I take it before sleep, unlike the other nootropics I take through the day like Piracetam or the morning for the others.

#15 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Why spoil the fun!? Besides the bottle said to use it for 2months for a noticeable effect. Also recommended dosage was between 2-4tabs a day. I tried 50mg, felt the same effect but it didn't last as long. I thought I´d use it to get going in the morning, problem was that it kept me unfocused until late evening. So I thought that I´s better test the recommended dose if the body adapts and calms down after the evaluation time which was 2months. Then I kept going cause I didn´t want to throw the pills out. But I do think that the pills are concentrated and superpacked, it´s almost impossible to split them in 2.

And now I know, DMAE sucks.. At least for me.

#16 tommix

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

I can say this - americans so much talks about depression, anxiety and the most funny thing is -that americans have nothing to be depressed.. MANY countries lives MUCH MUCH worser.. and you have to learn how to deal with depression, depression is just the result of our point of view. Everything what causes depression can be looked at different angle and stop depressing. It makes me laugh when your prices on everything is SOOO low and you still depressing! In my country most people gets 300$ per MONTH! and food prices is 3x higher than usa, the supplements here costs 20x times more than in usa. You universities-there is only one thing going on-fucking and drinking.. so from where the hell you people getting depressed??? I think this is just term for laziness. :)

sorry for offtopic.
  • dislike x 7
  • like x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#17 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

Dosage is very important - and some supplements aren't to be used all the time. Sometime, a supplement works only if you take once in a long while. Others work in low dosage, and some work in higher dosages.

It depends on many things - some supplements, nootropics or drugs are much more effective if you have some disorder like Depression or Anxiety - and may require a higher dosage for example to compensate for your physiological deficiencies. 400mg DHEA daily for one week did wonder to my depression and memory issues. I'll write about it in a few weeks when I can evaluate myself again and see the long term effects and whether the positive effects will remain, but for now, it helps tremendously. I've done it after reading different studies about the effects of DHEA and cognition and depression.

Anyway I used a very high dosage - a pharmaceutical dosage, and if taken for longer periods, the side effects common to DHEA will certainly appear and pretty fast with such a dosage for someone my age (23).

You can try to change also the time of the day when you take DMAE - I take it before sleep, unlike the other nootropics I take through the day like Piracetam or the morning for the others.

DHEA seems interesting. Is there a danger of cancer risks? I might give it a go if it helps depression and memory. Amazing you improved after a week, can u discard any placebo effect, like you totally sure it's due to DHEA you feel better?

#18 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

DHEA seems interesting. Is there a danger of cancer risks? I might give it a go if it helps depression and memory. Amazing you improved after a week, can u discard any placebo effect, like you totally sure it's due to DHEA you feel better?

There doesn't seem to be a definite consensus about risks of cancer Though this study from the Journal of Endocrinology was made six years ago and since then there wasn't anything on that topic so I think it is safe. Though, even if it were, they'd be the result of a long term usage (many years) not one week.

You may want to check this study.

Otherwise, I'm relatively sure that those are the real effects and not placebo - I have recorded many sessions of day dreaming where I try to navigate in memories from a specific time frame and so far, after the DHEA treatment I seem to recall different episodic memories more fluidly (less down time); I avoid recalling the same as to avoid the learning effect and I only try to remember memories from 2 to 6 years ago - consolidated memories though LTP is something different and not affected as much by cortisol levels.

#19 Gecko

• 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

I can say this - americans so much talks about depression, anxiety and the most funny thing is -that americans have nothing to be depressed.. MANY countries lives MUCH MUCH worser.. and you have to learn how to deal with depression, depression is just the result of our point of view. Everything what causes depression can be looked at different angle and stop depressing. It makes me laugh when your prices on everything is SOOO low and you still depressing! In my country most people gets 300$ per MONTH! and food prices is 3x higher than usa, the supplements here costs 20x times more than in usa. You universities-there is only one thing going on-fucking and drinking.. so from where the hell you people getting depressed??? I think this is just term for laziness. :)

sorry for offtopic.

As an aside, I'm not American, but this is a fundamental misunderstanding of depression. Clinical depression is a complex disorder that doesn't necessarily relate to the surroundings in any logical way. And while I agree we should all appreciate what we have when we can, suggesting that depression is something you can just look at differently and be better is extremely misleading. A number of factors appear to contribute to the development of depression, be they genetic predispositions, neurochemical imbalances, or cognitive distortions and I admit that the term may be overused in everyday life, but claiming that depression is just another term for laziness is, in my opinion, somewhat absurd.

Back on topic, I never really noticed any specific benefits with DMAE at the recommended doseage, but I do intend to look into DHEA.
  • like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 rvogels1

• 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

50-100 mg of DMAE once a day, maybe twice a day but not consistently, is very effective. It's not something that puts you in the zone. It enhances the performance of background cognitive processes. Initially, you will probably feel it but after that you shouldn't feel it. A common misconception with regard to taking nootropics is that they should all catapult you into super-focused states of mind that you can feel in your frontal lobes. Some do that, but many don't and DMAE is one of those. Too much DMAE impairs focus, induces brainstem/lower back of the head head-aches, negativity and possibly motivation problems. It seems obvious to me that you're simply misusing the drug. You could be a "non-responder". However, I think that many cases of non-responsiveness are actually due to impatience and/or misuse.
  • like x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users