Insomnia Incident with Piracetam

insomnia alpha gpc dexmethylphenidate n00b

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gunslinger

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hi all, I'm a new nootropic user and first-time poster. I had an odd issue of insomnia last night and couldn't find a similar case using the site search.

For the last week, I've been following the following regimen:
10AM: 1g piracetam, 300mg alpha-GPC on empty stomach
11AM: 15mg dexmethylphenidate [Focalin XR] with food
6PM: 1g piracetam, 5mg dexmethylphenidate [Focalin] with food
10PM: 1 hour workout [Power 90 stage 3-4]
11PM: 5g creatine monohydrate with whey protein shake

I've been using the stack for exactly one week (working out for two months so far) and have seen tremendous benefits in memory, organization, focus, mood, social ability, and endurance.

However, last night my schedule ran late, I skipped the second Focalin, and took the second dose of piracetam at 9PM. I tried falling asleep at 11PM but simply couldn't - my mind didn't go into 'sleep mode' until almost 5 AM. I usually have no trouble falling asleep and normally remain sleeping for a full 8-9 hours per day.

My questions are:
1) Does piracetam cause insomnia if taken too close to bed time? If so, when is the optimal time to take the evening dose?
2) As the cumulative benefits of piracetam kick in, will the insomnia become permanent? IE, should I discontinue it now?
3) Could the late-night workout, protein shake, and creatine have kept me up instead of the piracetam? (I've been working out directly before bed for months with no problems).
4) Is it necessary to add supplements such as valerian and melatonin to promote sleep?

Thanks in advance. My schedule is tightly packed and I can't risk sleep problems.

#2 kelin

• 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:57 AM

for me i never take piracetam in the evening or late afternoon, im just assuming that piracetam will make you feel abit more energetic in your mind, causing to think more than usual.
i probs suggest not to take it in the evening, maybe take it at 4pm so it wears off when you go to bed.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 truboy

• 178 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

Insomnia from Piracetam? never heard about it. Sometimes i take it before bed - 1g-2g to sleep better)

it's more likely:
6PM: 1g piracetam, 5mg dexmethylphenidate [Focalin] with food
OR
10PM: 1 hour workout [Power 90 stage 3-4] - 10pm it too late in my experience. Sets your body in active mode.
OR
11PM: 5g creatine monohydrate with whey protein shake - not sure about that one - never tried it.

Edited by truboy, 22 November 2011 - 02:02 AM.

#4 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Some people have reported insomnia from piracetam [1] [2]. Exercise before bed can definitely keep you up. So can choline. Combining amphetamine and MPH with all of these factors makes me astonished that you ever get any sleep! :|o

But seriously, it could be the problem, but it's hard to say. You could experiment more, or just don't take it too late at night. When I take piracetam I do so first thing in the morning, and again about 6 hours later. Melatonin is a good option to add if you're having trouble sleeping, though finding the root cause is probably better.

#5 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

Wait a sec, you exercise before going to bed? This is the most likely cause for your insomnia, you're basically making your body more "awake".
If you have been exercising before going to bed before this regimen, maybe the supplements make you extra- awake, either way, its the exercise causing it.

#6 Healthy Tony

• 112 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Baten is probably right Zack. Exercise right before bed isn't a great idea. I can't exercise after 7 if I want to sleep.

#7 cds

• 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

The one time I tried taking Piracetam at night, I couldn't get to sleep. However that was taking it around 11.00pm and then retiring to bed around 12.00am. It must have been 4.00am when I finally got to sleep; it didn't matter how long I had my eyes closed, my mind was completely awake. Of course, I felt like crap the next day. I actually use Piracetam at work to help keep me feeling awake and fresh mid-afternoon, I find it better than coffee in this respect.

That said, I don't believe Piracetam is at fault here. I weight-train four times a week at around 6.00pm and tend to feel bright and alert for around 3 hours after until the fatigue sets in. I wouldn't dream of doing this as late as 10.00pm; I know I would not be able to wind down in time for bed.

#8 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

I will take Piracetam in evening to stay alert longer if I need to be sharp at night, often with ALCAR. But I have had the experience of it either preventing me from getting to sleep or else I wake up to early. My dreams are much more vivid and I tend to wake earlier than normal.

#9 Gunslinger

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. Over the last couple of weeks, I've reconfigured my schedule so I work out in the morning instead of evening, and treated myself to a nice Tempur-Pedic pillow. I'm now sleeping like a rock every night, even with piracetam.

On a side note, I haven't noticed any strong dream-related side effects. All the dreams I remember have always been lucid already, but happen rarely. Since I started the stack, I've remembered at least one dream a week, which is oddly high.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. Over the last couple of weeks, I've reconfigured my schedule so I work out in the morning instead of evening, and treated myself to a nice Tempur-Pedic pillow. I'm now sleeping like a rock every night, even with piracetam.

On a side note, I haven't noticed any strong dream-related side effects. All the dreams I remember have always been lucid already, but happen rarely. Since I started the stack, I've remembered at least one dream a week, which is oddly high.

A guy can have all the supplements and therapy and meditation in the world but if you don't have a Tempur-Pedic folks wehhheeelll .. it won't be pretty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insomnia, alpha gpc, dexmethylphenidate, n00b

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users