- - - - -

propranolol daily use for anxiety?

propranolol

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 PeopleOverCorporateProfit

• 57 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

Is there any reason not to take propranolol daily for anxiety/panic attacks for public speaking. I am in a masters program now and sometimes I might have to speak with little notice.

#2 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Is that that Michael Jackson stuff?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 PeopleOverCorporateProfit

• Topic Starter
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

no

#4 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

From experience, It will make you feel extremely tired, hamper your sex-drive and make you fat. Really fat.
  • dislike x 1
  • Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#5 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

I took propranolol for several years, at dosages of upto 160mg a day on long acting version, way above anything used for general anxiety. It didn't make me fat, effect my sex drive or ability or make me tired at all. I was prescribed it as I intermittently suffer tachycardia from high anxiety.

It did however reduce my aerobic capacity, made my hands and feet cold, worsened my breathing (I'm slightly asthmatic from hayfever) and lowered my mood. At the doseages used for anxiety 10-40mg I would think all of this effects would be reduced but not eliminated.

It is also known to lower melatonin and worsen blood lipids somewhat, so not an ideal solution. As a footnote it does stop anxiety symptoms very effectively.

Edited by shaggy, 20 January 2012 - 09:02 PM.

• like x 1

#6 ZRTMWA

• 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Would propanolol (or another beta blocker) be good for getting over a phobia? I have an irrational fear of rollercoasters. If someone forced me to go on a big one, I would probably have a mild panic attack in line I would be so nervous. I just need something to calm me down before I get on. Alcohol is really the only other option I can think of.

What are beta blockers like?

#7 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Would propanolol (or another beta blocker) be good for getting over a phobia? I have an irrational fear of rollercoasters. If someone forced me to go on a big one, I would probably have a mild panic attack in line I would be so nervous. I just need something to calm me down before I get on. Alcohol is really the only other option I can think of.

Propranolol will stop your heart racing...but not your mind!

#8 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

It made me depressed which was a bit counterproductive really. If it doesn't do this to you though it could be useful for those moments that would normally induce panic.

#9 PeopleOverCorporateProfit

• Topic Starter
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

From what I have read..it won't stop your fear from getting on it..but once you do go on it, you won't have the same panic response (heart racing, adrenaline rush tightening up feeling). That's what I have heard and hope for at least!

Would love to hear more experiences.

#10 ZRTMWA

• 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

The heart racing would definitely begin before I got on. I actually read one guy's story about how he thought the rollercoasters didn't seem as thrilling on a beta blocker.

#11 evodude

• 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

quite true. I've even got shiffers/cold. Although i heard it is used for public speaking i only get a bit depressed. Not the best product for anxiety.

Edited by evodude, 03 February 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#12 PeopleOverCorporateProfit

• Topic Starter
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:13 AM

I took 10 mg a few times..I was def tired at the end of the day. But a couple times, I actually stood up in my class and said some stuff and was totally okay while doing it..which is a miracle.

#13 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

Is that that Michael Jackson stuff?

initially i thought the same thing. But the i thought why would people take a sedative that puts you to sleep if you need to stand infront of an audience lol. :laugh:

#14 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

I think i'll order this. I suffer from depression, i would really need to be careful though.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

Michael Jackson death med = propofol. It's pretty safe, actually. I was once on it for a week straight. (in an ICU, so I wouldn't fight the ventilator that was keeping me alive. Yeah, it was a party...) I had it another time for a colonoscopy. They inject it, and you're out in about five seconds. Then you wake up and you're done. Very little emergence trouble. It's a pretty nice drug for short term use. It's quite a memory eraser, though; after being on it for a week, I lost most of the previous couple weeks.

#16 PeopleOverCorporateProfit

• Topic Starter
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

I think i'll order this. I suffer from depression, i would really need to be careful though.

it isn't going to help with depression..it just prevents a racing heart. check out holy basil.

#17 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

it isn't going to help with depression..it just prevents a racing heart. check out holy basil.

I know, i meant it can make it worse. Holy basil = zero effects. But i have also ordered citadep (lexapro), do these two work in synergy?

#18 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

Which can be a good thing because the minute you feel your heart racing your mind starts to race as well! One needs to be able to think clearly and I think Propranolol can make you think clearly if your heart isn't about to explode! When your heart races, you feel panicked and it messes with your mind so you can't perform whatever it is you need to do. 

Edited by eon, 16 June 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#19 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Which can be a good thing because the minute you feel your heart racing your mind starts to race as well! One needs to be able to think clearly and I think Propranolol can make you think clearly if your heart isn't about to explode! When your heart races, you feel panicked and it messes with your mind so you can't perform whatever it is you need to do. 

I agree. And you probably will not have to take it forever, as once the mind/heart cycle of panic is broken, your new-found facility with public speaking may become permanent and then you can dispense with the beta blocker. They are not good to take long term as they flatten the heart rate and make aerobic exercise difficult, at least at the level I was taking them for hypertension. 

#20 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

I'm only on 10 mg. I only take it when I go to unfamiliar places with unfamiliar people and situations. I specifically requested this drug for anxiety not for hypertension. I'm sure with my Vyvanse use, I could use it to lower blood pressure as well. I think bodybuilders use beta blockers as well to remove excess norepinephrine (NE) from the "rush". I could feel as if my sore body language is more "relaxed" after working out as if the NE has been blocked. The more someone's body language appears relaxed, I think people will notice that one is calm and confident, something I want to be.

I agree. And you probably will not have to take it forever, as once the mind/heart cycle of panic is broken, your new-found facility with public speaking may become permanent and then you can dispense with the beta blocker. They are not good to take long term as they flatten the heart rate and make aerobic exercise difficult, at least at the level I was taking them for hypertension. 

Edited by eon, 16 June 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#21 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

From what I have read..it won't stop your fear from getting on it..but once you do go on it, you won't have the same panic response (heart racing, adrenaline rush tightening up feeling). That's what I have heard and hope for at least!

That is accurate.  It basically stops adrenaline from triggering all the things it does -- pounding heart, sweating, shaking, and so on.  For anxiety and panic sufferers, these symptoms are often part of a feedback loop that triggers more anxiety, more bodily alarm, and on.

For me propranolol was a miracle drug.  It just let me be me in situations where my stupid brain stem tried to take control.  It does leave me tired (I only take 10mg) and sometimes a bit depressed but nothing too bad.  Definitely a better experience than a panic attack!

As to the OP's question.. taking propranolol all the time in case you have to speak suddenly seems kinda heavy handed but you'll have to decide for yourself.  I would suggest meditation and working hard to desensitize yourself to these situations.  I know it's tough but you really can get over a lot of situational anxiety if you work at it.

You can also reduce absorption time by crushing the pill in your mouth and smearing it around your gums with your tongue.   :blink:

#22 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Absolutely! Today, at first I thought my palms was sweaty from a bit of anxiety. It felt sweaty but I looked closer and it was dry. Had I seen sweat on my palms that may trigger an attack. The fact that it was dry seem to have vanished my fear.

That is accurate.  It basically stops adrenaline from triggering all the things it does -- pounding heart, sweating, shaking, and so on.  For anxiety and panic sufferers, these symptoms are often part of a feedback loop that triggers more anxiety, more bodily alarm, and on.

For me propranolol was a miracle drug.  It just let me be me in situations where my stupid brain stem tried to take control.  It does leave me tired (I only take 10mg) and sometimes a bit depressed but nothing too bad.  Definitely a better experience than a panic attack!

As to the OP's question.. taking propranolol all the time in case you have to speak suddenly seems kinda heavy handed but you'll have to decide for yourself.  I would suggest meditation and working hard to desensitize yourself to these situations.  I know it's tough but you really can get over a lot of situational anxiety if you work at it.

You can also reduce absorption time by crushing the pill in your mouth and smearing it around your gums with your tongue.   :blink:

• like x 1

#23 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:01 AM

Interesting. I got prescribed Propranolol 10 mg to be taken 1-3 times a day as needed for physical anxiety symptoms. I'm coming off a benzodiazepine (Lorazepam) and wonder how effective Propranolol exactly is for anxiety. I mean if it stops the physical symptoms like racing heart and sweating hands, wouldn't that also ease the mind?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#24 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:14 PM

I've been taking Propranolol 10 mg every now and then, I like that it calms down the body but it does have mildly depressive effect on mood. Also don't like the decrease in exercise capacity. Not a bad medication for anxiety as it's not addictive or anything, but doesn't quite tackle the issue in a practical way for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: propranolol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users