• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Combining Selegiline (Deprenyl) with Cordyceps?

deprenyl selegiline cordyceps interactions maoi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 panarion

• 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi there,

I'm wondering about any possible interactions that might result from taking deprenyl/selegiline in combination with cordyceps sinsensis. I know selegiline operates as an MAOI (-B at lower doses, -A at doses in excess of 10mg p/d), and have only been taking very moderate doses i.e 1.25mg 2-3 per week. This is in line with the recommended dosing for someone my age (I'm 28), and also because at a low dose like this I don't suffer any ill-effects from tyramine rich foods. I have found this dose to have a noticeable benefit in terms of mental clarity, focus, motivation and the ability to articulate. However I also want to start using cordyceps again, as in the past I've found it very helpful for stamina and endurance when exercising, and for my immune system in general. But a lot of online sources claim that cordyceps acts as an MAOI (B) and I would be worried about inadvertantly causing problems for myself. A thereuputic dose of cordyceps is at least 3g of extract per day, which I would take at night as I find it quite sedating for a few hours after ingestion. The deprenyl I take in the morning on days when I'm using it.

Any thoughts?

#2 panhedonic

• 388 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

I take both, but only 1g Cordyceps + 2mg Selegiline per day, and I have no idea regarding possible interaction. All I can say is that I'm OK, but my anecdote is barely relevant.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Omega 3 Snake Oil

• 257 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

I just took about 1/4 of a cordyceps tab of 400 mg (so about 100 mg) shortly after my daily selegiline of 1.25 mg. I feel dizzy and my breathing is a bit labored. Reaction?..

#4 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

Shouldn't have any reaction, at least not at a low dose like that. I personally don't feel any dopaminergic activity of cordyceps at all so I'd be surprised if there's any nasty effect taking it with selegiline. 1.25mg should be really quite safe in general.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Omega 3 Snake Oil

• 257 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:21 PM

maybe it was my adrenals then? I'm taking it for adrenal fatigue, but maybe my adrenals are so weakened that any stimulation is jarring..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deprenyl, selegiline, cordyceps, interactions, maoi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users