- - - - -

Discussion about Sulbutiamine to increase motivation

motivation sulbutiamine cingulate cortex

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I recently picked up Sulbutiamine to trial. In my research, I've come across the following:

Evidence for a modulatory effect of sulbutiamine on glutamatergic and dopaminergic cortical transmissions in the rat brain.

Trovero F, Gobbi M, Weil-Fuggaza J, Besson MJ, Brochet D, Pirot S.

Source

Key-Obs S.A., Centre d'Innovation, 16, rue Leonard de Vinci, 45074 Orleans, 2, Cedex, France. fabricetrovero@aol.com

Abstract

Chronic treatment of rats by sulbutiamine induced no change in density of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) and (+/-)-alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole-4-propionic acid receptors in the cingular cortex, but a significant decrease of the kainate binding sites, as measured by quantitative autoradiography. In the same treated animals, an increase of D1 dopaminergic (DA) binding sites was measured both in the prefrontal and the cingular cortex, while no modification of the D2 binding sites was detected. Furthermore, an acute sulbutiamine administration induced a decrease of kainate binding sites but no change of the density of D1 and D2 DA receptors. Acute sulbutiamine injection led to a decrease of the DA levels in the prefrontal cortex and 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid levels in both the cingular and the prefrontal cortex. These observations are discussed in terms of a modulatory effect of sulbutiamine on both dopaminergic and glutamatergic cortical transmissions.
PMID:10996447

First of all, D1 receptors in the Anterior Cingulate cortex:

Learn Mem. 2006 Nov-Dec; 13(6): 777–782.
doi: 10.1101/lm.409306

PMCID: PMC1783632

Dopamine D1 receptors in the anterior cingulate cortex regulate effort-based decision making

Abstract

The anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) has been implicated in encoding whether or not an action is worth performing in view of the expected benefit and the cost of performing the action. Dopamine input to the ACC may be critical for this form of effort-based decision making; however, the role of distinct ACC dopamine receptors is yet unknown. Therefore, we examined in rats the effects of an intra-ACC D1 and D2 receptor blockade on effort-based decision making tested in a T-maze cost-benefit task. In this task, subjects could either choose to climb a barrier to obtain a high reward in one arm or a low reward in the other arm without a barrier. Unlike vehicle-treated rats, rats with intra-ACC infusion of the D1 receptor antagonist SCH23390 exhibited a reduced preference for the high-cost– high-reward response option when having the choice to obtain a low reward with little effort. In contrast, in rats with intra-ACC infusion of the D2 receptor antagonist eticlopride, the preference for the high-cost–high-reward response option was not altered relative to vehicle-treated rats. These data provide the first evidence that D1 receptors in the ACC regulate effort-based decision making.

The way I read these two abstracts is that chronic Sulbutiamine usage causes an increase of binding sites of a receptor (D1 in the cingulate cortex) that has been linked to regulate effort-based decision making (A.K.A. motivation).

Now, a lot has been mentioned by people about tolerance and needing to cycle Sulbutiamine to fully see its effects. I have a feeling that this is because of the "decrease of the DA levels in the prefrontal cortex".

Also, I have no understanding of the significance of "decrease of the kainate binding sites" and "3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid levels in both the cingular and the prefrontal cortex".

So let's discuss. Strategies, stacks, info, etc.

Edited by zrbarnes, 22 June 2012 - 07:05 PM.

• like x 1

#2 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Interesting! I'd rather like some more of those D1 receptors. I love stuff that increases desirable receptor density in general; bypassing homeostasis seems to me to be where the real long term improvements are at.

Kainate is an esoteric glutamate receptor, different from NMDA and AMPA. No idea what it does, and I'm reluctant to just accept their loss blindly. Looking further into this.

ETA - This page and the next seem interesting: http://www.bristol.a...kar/excitatory/

Edited by Raza, 22 June 2012 - 09:28 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 magniloquentc0unt

• 299 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Had any success?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: motivation, sulbutiamine, cingulate cortex

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users