* * * * * 1 votes

Extracting curcumin from turmeric at home

curcumin turmeric extract home antiaging

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 live4eva

• 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hi, I take curcumin daily but as I am moving to Africa, it's going to be impossible to get hold of curcumin there + very expensive shipping if it doesn't get stolen.

I have been looking up online, on ways to extract curcumin, basically most need a lot of things that e.t.c Since curcumin is soluble in oil, I have been thinking, if I get turmeric powder/ white pepper, mix it with olive oil, heat it up for while ( curcumin has high heat stability) and let the curcumin become soluble in the oil, maybe leave it for a week then extract the oil with something like a coffee filter. Do you think this would work? I know turmeric has like 3% curcumin, I wonder if it will all dissolve? Also, when I have extract the olive oil / curcumin mix. Do you think it would be possible to add lecithin to the mixture ?

Any advice on how to achieve, any curcumin extraction at home with readly available items, would be most welcome. Plus advice on achieving
the above method.

#2 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Why not just mix the turmeric with good quality olive oil and use liberally with meals? After all, that is basically how it was discovered...in curry in India....which showed the original benefits.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 live4eva

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hate the taste of turmeric. I need to take like 50 grams for my inflammation. Turmeric has a strong taste and ruins the taste of food and is gross when you drink it. Would rather extract it.

#4 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

According to http://www.fao.org/f...61/Curcumin.pdf ethanol would probably work good at making a good extract. Then you'd have to figure out the b est way of evaporating out most of the ethanol.

Edited by MrSpud, 14 July 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

According to http://www.fao.org/f...61/Curcumin.pdf ethanol would probably work good at making a good extract. Then you'd have to figure out the b est way of evaporating out most of the ethanol.

If you distilled it off, you could use the ethanol again. With a really good still, you can concentrate the ethanol up to 95.5%. You could start with vodka, if you couldn't get pure grain alcohol. I would use the strongest ethanol you can get your hands on or make, as the more water it has, the less good it will be as a solvent for hydrophobic substances.

#6 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

A still would definitely be recommended. I recall hearing some horror stories about people trying to just boil off the alcohol in the presence of high heat and air....very bad things are apt to happen....alcohol vapor is highly explosive and flammable.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

A still would definitely be recommended. I recall hearing some horror stories about people trying to just boil off the alcohol in the presence of high heat and air....very bad things are apt to happen....alcohol vapor is highly explosive and flammable.

Yeah, that's good advice. No open flames. A real still is pretty safe because the flammable EtOH vapors are caught and condensed by a water cooled column. If you know how to sweat copper fittings, it wouldn't be that hard to make one. Watch out for them revenuers, ya hear?.

#8 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

My immediate thought when reading this thread was "I wonder if throwing turmeric and some oil in one of those ultrasonic jewelry cleaners would work?"

5 minutes of Google-fu says yes.

Study that suggests that it is effective:
Design and optimization of ultrasound assisted extraction of curcumin as an effective alternative for conventional solid liquid extraction of natural products.

Abstract

The first step in the qualitative and quantitative analysis of medicinal plant constituents is the extraction step. Ideally, an extraction procedure should be exhaustive with respect to the constituents to be analyzed, rapid, simple, and for routine analysis amenable to automation. Usually, the traditional techniques require long extraction times, with more consumption of energy resources and organic solvent, have low efficiency and are often unsafe for thermolabile botanicals. The Taguchi based optimization technique was adapted for the process optimization of ultrasound assisted extraction (UAE) of Curcuma longa to identify the effect of four major factors namely, extraction time, solvent viscosity, grinding degree and solvent volume on the percentage extraction of curcumin. The reproducibility and recovery of the method was also investigated. The efficiency of the new extraction method was then compared with conventional solid liquid extraction procedures. Using this novel method, long hours of conventional Soxhlet extraction were cut down to 70 minutes of UAE with greater reproducibility and recovery. The study clearly shows that this method can be effectively utilized for cutting down long extraction time of botanicals to just a few minutes without the aid of heat. PMID: 19370883

Yahoo group that discusses using this method for improving bioavailability of lots of different supps:
Do-It-Yourself process of Liposomal Encapsulation Technology

Commonly recommended jewelry cleaners for this purpose:
Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaners @ HarborFreight

Edited by zrbarnes, 15 July 2012 - 02:12 AM.

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 live4eva

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

Guys, thanks for you're response, will try some of these techniques at home soon :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin, turmeric, extract, home, antiaging

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users