• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Big list of substances that increase BDNF.

bdnf

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

Here is a list on this awesome blog

http://samsnyder.com/2012/06/27/preventing-suicide-by-increasing-bdnf/

1. Ketamine use, which has rapid antidepressant properties, is associated with elevated levels of BDNF. (Link)

2. Memantine, which has antidepressant properties, elevates levels of BDNF. (Link)

3. Agomelatine increases hippocampal BDNF and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

4. Riluzole restores hippocampal BDNF expression and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

5. Escitalopram is an antidepressant that reverses BDNF deficits. (Link)

6. Atypical antipsychotics increase BDNF levels and have antidepressant effects. (Link)

7. Venlafaxine is an antidepressant that increases BDNF levels. (Link)

8. Olanzapine increases BDNF levels and augments antidepressant treatment. (Link)

9. Lithium upregulates BDNF and treats bipolar disorder. (Link)

10. Sertraline is an antidepressant that increases BDNF. (Link)

11. Risperidone increases BDNF levels and augments antidepressant treatment. (Link)

12. Imipramine is an antidepressant that up-regulates BDNF expression. (Link)

13. Mirtazapine is an antidepressant that increases BDNF gene expression. (Link)

14. Metyrapone enhances BDNF gene expression and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

15. Rolipram normalizes BDNF levels and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

Other Psychiatric Treatments:

1. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation increases BDNF levels and has antidepressant effects. (Link)

2. Electroconvulsive therapy elevates BDNF levels and has antidepressant effects. (Link)

3. Vagal nerve stimulation activates BDNF receptors and treats depression. (Link)

Food and Lifestyle:

1. A Mediterranean diet increases BDNF levels in depressed patients. (Link)

2. Green odor elevates BDNF and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

3. Music enhances BDNF levels and improves mood. (Link)

4. Alpha-linolenic acid increases BDNF and reduces depressive behavior. (Link)

Supplements:

1. Fish oil has antidepressant effects that involve BDNF. (Link)

2. Ginsenoside prevents a stress-induced reduction in BDNF levels. (Link)

3. Hyperoside has antidepressant properties and elevates BDNF expression. (Link)

4. Magnolol restores BDNF expression and has antidepressant effects. (Link)

5. Curcumin reverses a decrease in BDNF levels and produces an antidepressant effect. (Link)

6. Zinc increases the BDNF mRNA level and has antidepressant effects. (Link)

7. Beta-alanine increases BDNF concentration and has anti-anxiety properties. (Link)

8. Flavonols enhance BDNF expression and have antidepressant properties. (Link)

9. Suyu-Jiaonang attenuates a reduction in BDNF and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

10. Ferulic acid increases BDNF mRNA and ameliorates stress-induced depressive behavior. (Link)

11. Nicotine increases BDNF levels and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

12. Polygala tenuifolia increases BDNF expression and has antidepressant effects. (Link)

13. Xiaoyaosan reverses decreases in BDNF and has antidepressant effects. (Link)

14. Piperine reverses the reduction in BDNF and has antidepressant properties. (Link)

15. Danzhi Xiaoyao powder increases BDNF levels and reduces depressive symptoms. (Link)

16. Ginkgo biloba extract increases BDNF expression and reduces the effects of stress. (Link)

17. Eugenol has antidepressant activity and induces BDNF. (Link)

Links are on the web-site.

In a previous topic I found a compound (flavonoids) that strongly increases BDNF. A study above points out that many flavonols increase BDNF naturally. One of the flavonols also mentioned is "hyperoside". No use in restricting yourself to just 7,8-dihydroxyflavone.

I won't be posting for a long time. Might check the forum once in a while. Let me know if anyone is doing a group buy on (-)-BPAP or an ampakine. Peace.

Edited by redan, 13 September 2012 - 04:57 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • like x 1

#2 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

Which substance have you guys had the most success with? I know from experience Lithium is very useful, and people say Cerebrolysin is very helpful as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 CIMN

• Validating/Suspended
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

so it seems there are many substances that can effect bdnf..
thanks for the link redan :)

#4 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

It seems pretty much anything increases BDNF looking at that list.... Wich ones are the real potent and useful stuff remains to be seen...

)3. Music enhances BDNF levels and improves mood.

mmm... i'm a musician...my BDNF levels should be shooting through the roof by now... nope...where did i put that ALCAR bottle ? :happy:

#5 c60tester

• 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

Wouldn't using these supplements downregulate your bodies own bdnf or something?

#6 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Wouldn't using these supplements downregulate your bodies own bdnf or something?

They'd downregulate BDNF receptors, I think. Cycling might be better.

NGF doesn't have this problem, IIRC.

#7 LeonardElijah

• 78 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the list. I cringed when I read Risperidone because it makes the list reek of phamaceutical rather than nutritional psychiatry. Good work, however.

#8 Reformed-Redan

• Topic Starter
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

They'd downregulate BDNF receptors, I think. Cycling might be better.

NGF doesn't have this problem, IIRC.

That would be strange.

Thanks for the list. I cringed when I read Risperidone because it makes the list reek of phamaceutical rather than nutritional psychiatry. Good work, however.

LOL, isn't nutritional psychiatry a synonym for homeopathy?

#9 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Here is a paper that just says ampakines increase BDNF http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3114293/ (find figure 3) as well as permanently increase learning ability even after medication ceases (right area of graph). which ampakines I do not know
Attached File  ampakines give lasting learning improvement.jpg   43.98KB   41 downloads

also of interest is that if you look up BDNF phenotype there are apparently variants of BDNF genes which highly likely to be IQ genes. I suppose siRNA could reregulate those genes to produce a smarter amount of BDNF. There is actually a patented lentivirus to bring active siRNA to mammals thus an immunization to raise intelligence is possible now.

Edited by treonsverdery, 03 October 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#10 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Here is a paper that just says ampakines increase BDNF http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3114293/ (find figure 3) as well as permanently increase learning ability even after medication ceases (right area of graph). which ampakines I do not know
Attached File  ampakines give lasting learning improvement.jpg   43.98KB   41 downloads

They're talking about allosteric modulators for the AMPA receptor. That makes the 'racetams the obvious candidates.

Edited by Raza, 03 October 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#11 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

also of interest is that if you look up BDNF phenotype there are apparently variants of BDNF genes which highly likely to be IQ genes. I suppose siRNA could reregulate those genes to produce a smarter amount of BDNF. There is actually a patented lentivirus to bring active siRNA to mammals thus an immunization to raise intelligence is possible now.

Although this would not be fully developed for some years, it would be a significant advance and one likely to atract a lot of research funding.

BDNF can be increased also during environmental enrichment, which means that we should be increasing our exposure to mental challenges.

#12 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Please send 350 000 000 liters to Africa ASAP!
:-D
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#13 1thoughtMaze1

• 335 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Please send 350 000 000 liters to Africa ASAP!
:-D

And what's that supposto mean?
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#14 JohnnyP

• 255 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

Atypical antipsychotics increase BDNF levels and have antidepressant effects, what would be considered atypical?

#15 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

Atypical antipsychotics increase BDNF levels and have antidepressant effects, what would be considered atypical?

http://en.wikipedia....l_antipsychotic

#16 JohnnyP

• 255 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia....l_antipsychotic

Thank you I didn't realize that was what the original text was referring to I thought it was something more specific seeing as it was listing other individual substances.

#17 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Which substance have you guys had the most success with? I know from experience Lithium is very useful, and people say Cerebrolysin is very helpful as well.

Well it depends by what you measure success - personally I would say Fluoxetine but it really depends on what your objective was....

#18 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

Rhizoma Polygonati and Fructus Ligustri Lucidi had stronger effects than Selegiline in increasing BDNF and NGF in MPTP treatet Mice, whereas herba epidemii ( horny goat weed) could restore Tyrosine Hydroxylase (TH) to baseline

http://www.longecity...ds/#entry706163

#19 Michael Rian

• 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

Does anyone know which antidepressants would be the best bet in regards to BDNF and neurogenesis?   My Doctor wants me to try out Vortioxetine, the newer antidepressant. 

#20 striker_321

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:41 AM

You can add Tianeptine to the list:

http://www.sciencedi...014299907001999

• like x 2

#21 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

Rhizoma Polygonati and Fructus Ligustri Lucidi had stronger effects than Selegiline in increasing BDNF and NGF in MPTP treatet Mice, whereas herba epidemii ( horny goat weed) could restore Tyrosine Hydroxylase (TH) to baseline

ive noticed a pattern with you. can you possibly stop using the weird nonsense names for plants chinese give? its really making people struggle to figure out which ones you talk about. i cant google, i cant wikipedia and i cant NCBI any of the strange fake named chinese plants you list regularly in threads you post.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#22 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

ive noticed a pattern with you. can you possibly stop using the weird nonsense names for plants chinese give? its really making people struggle to figure out which ones you talk about. i cant google, i cant wikipedia and i cant NCBI any of the strange fake named chinese plants you list regularly in threads you post.
Come on normalizing. You are the only person having a problem. From a basic Google search I found a reference to Rhizoma Polygonati on Wikipedia.The 2nd link! Entering "Fructus Ligustri Lucidi Wikipedia" would give you the TCM Wiki and the Wikipedia page for Kanggu Zengsheng Wan.

"An herbal remedy called rhizoma polygonati is a mix of Polygonatum species used in traditional Chinese medicine. It is supposed to strengthen various organs and enhance the qi."

http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Polygonatum

"Fructus Ligustri Lucidi is also named Nv Zhen Zi, 女贞子, 女貞子, Glossy Privet Fruit"

http://www.tcmwiki.c...ligustri-lucidi
http://en.m.wikipedi...u_Zengsheng_Wan

Edited by Metagene, 30 March 2015 - 09:40 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#23 JmareK

• 49 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Noopept seems to have a strong stimulatory effect on BDNF and NGF:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19240853 

#24 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Come on normalizing. You are the only person having a problem. From a basic Google search I found a reference to Rhizoma Polygonati on Wikipedia.The 2nd link! Entering "Fructus Ligustri Lucidi Wikipedia" would give you the TCM Wiki and the Wikipedia page for Kanggu Zengsheng Wan.

"An herbal remedy called rhizoma polygonati is a mix of Polygonatum species used in traditional Chinese medicine. It is supposed to strengthen various organs and enhance the qi."

http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Polygonatum

"Fructus Ligustri Lucidi is also named Nv Zhen Zi, 女贞子, 女貞子, Glossy Privet Fruit"

http://www.tcmwiki.c...ligustri-lucidi
http://en.m.wikipedi...u_Zengsheng_Wan

yeah right... from before him and others posting those weird names, ill google them to purchase, and it will lead me to strange chinese websites. really, i cannot possibly find any source of those weird names. ON THE OTHER HAND, with the latin naming of the same plants, easily found on amazon or anywhere else and easily purchased.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#25 magniloquentc0unt

• 299 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

interesting list

#26 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

@ normalizing

I forgett it sometimes to translate.

If I dont correct it, try to google it like this :

Fructus Ligustri Lucidi  pinyn (pinyin is the term of the chinese name)

NU ZHEN ZI is the result. By pasting in google You will get most of the time the latin name.

or delete the first term (which allways describes the part of the plant like cortex, rhizoma, folium):

Fructus Ligustri Lucidi

and add -um to both:

Ligustrium Lucidium

Google will autocorrect to:

Ligustrum Lucidum

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#27 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2022 - 11:44 PM

There's a lot of discussion on how to increase BDNF, test etc but not how to prevent loss as much as possible. Like sleeping better, reading etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bdnf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users