- - - - -

Hazy brain function, unclear thoughts, problems with focusing and depression

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Templanoid

• 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hi all,
I've been a lurker and I've posted before along similar lines, and I have been gone for a while, but over the years I haven't had much improvement, partly due to lack of action on my own part (ironically, that's part of the problem), so now hopefully some of you curious and motivated people can help me out.

Before I start, I'd like to say that I never really had serious family problems.. I was raised in a stable family with small little problems that most families face and I don't have anything that might be considered to harsh, in terms of my surroundings. I am not addicted to drugs or any substances.

But, what is the problem, you ask? I feel that my brain doesn't function very well. My thoughts are never clear, I have a hard time understanding anything that's even slightly conceptual or abstract. I am not sure what I am thinking about at a particular moment, and I have problems focusing. This has caused me to be socially inadequate, and this is the result of my depression. I am not good at talking with people because I am not sure how to respond, not sure what my thoughts are, I have trouble expressing my ideas too, and I cant really wrap words around my thoughts (I guess, maybe, because my thoughts are not clear to begin with?) etc... I'm even having trouble expressing/explaining myself here.

Also, I have a very high amount of lethargy. I don't have enough energy to begin doing a lot of things. My low energy levels have been a big problem in my life, and it doesn't have much to do with motivation.. I might be motivated to do something but I won't be able to do anything unless I down a couple of Redbulls to physically get my body going.. I believe this might be related to the problem of my brain's crankiness.

As a result.. I am a very static person. A very still person. Because I don't know how to react to things people say or what thoughts I am having.. and when I see other people being so fast, witty and able to understand things long before even I do, it has made me very depressed and I really need help fixing this. :(

In most social situations, even at work, I have a lot of difficulty fitting in, as a result of the things that I explain above, and it has caused me a great amount of depression in life and I feel very helpless. It might look like I'm asking for psychological help, but I am not, for I am pretty sure that the cause of all the depression is my brain's low cognition performance:

- Hazy thoughts
- Brain fog?
- Unable to focus
- Unable to understand anything that is slightly abstract
- Very low energy levels, making me very lethargic as a result.
- Resulting social anxiety, perhaps?

I've visited a psychiatrist in the past, and he simply gave me some Ritalin. When it does work, it works well, I feel extremely good and productive. I can study well and actually seem to learn something, and also able to effectively engage in discussions and debates with certain clarity. My mood gets really positive, I care more than usual about the welfare of people, and I can get work done. However, it is like Russian roulette sometimes.. it can make me feel weirdly tired, or slightly tight around the chest sometimes, and very dry.. as if I'm constantly thirsty. But a lot of the times it has also given me negative effects, and I get extremely anxious, makes me pretty worried and restless in general - it can be a pretty terrible feeling.. so I've decided to stop Ritalin and look to alternatives which give e batter overall effect, especially cognitively.

I have not really tried a lot of nootropics or supplements such as Lion's Mane.. but I was wondering perhaps you guys here can give me some recommendations on what could be the cause or what kind of supplements or nootropics might help fix it?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

PS. Apologies in advance if my post sounds long-winded or unclear... it's exactly the problem I'm trying to fix here.

#2 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

If Ritalin was working well for you, might I recommend Deprenyl.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

If Ritalin was working well for you, might I recommend Deprenyl.

I just moved to the US and I don't think I can get that drug if I need a prescription :( It's just too expensive or hard to get prescription here... Anything you could suggest that might be available without prescription?

Edited by Templanoid, 27 September 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#4 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Do you get irritable a lot? Does your mood fluctuate? Did you get your blood tested? It's best to get a panel done.

Edited by stablemind, 27 September 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#5 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Do you get irritable a lot? Does your mood fluctuate? Did you get your blood tested? It's best to get a panel done.

I get irritable not too much, but I get annoyed at people in social situations I'm not understood.. if that's what you might be referring to? I do feel impatient sometimes when I have to wait for anything.. not too crazy or not too often, but it's apparent.

Mood: My mood doesn't fluctuate too much when I'm not in a situation that causes me to be disappointed about myself.. though, you could say I do have small, subtle mood fluctuations... usually from depressed or upset, to feeling much more positive, and then back to being neutral.. but I don't think I'm bipolar, or anything like that.

I've gotten blood tested a lot of times, the results of my blood tests have always been good. The blood tests I get are generalized ones in clinic - your level of carbs, fats, cholesterol, cortisol, etc.. the results have always been within expected or generally optimal ranges.

Edited by Templanoid, 27 September 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#6 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

@Stablemind

Are you inferring an endocrinological disorder? Because if this is for depression, as of now, most blood panels for the disorder are still being put under testing. You can't diagnose depression using a blood panel.

@OP

Have you tried any of the Racetams?

Edited by Tubemode, 27 September 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#7 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

@OP

Have you tried any of the Racetams?

I did try a certain kind of racetam once (not sure what kind it was) and I remember it first made me feel really angry and easily irritaed at everything.. and the next time I took it with lecithin it gave me a headache... maybe I was taking the wrong time? So I didn't take anymore of it again. But I only took it 3-4 doses in total, so I wouldn't consider it long term.

OK, I looked at my old post and here's what I posted about my experience with the racetam:

Okay, so today I took 800mg of Piracetam (Nootropil) without any choline.. and immediately I felt quite angry and easily agitated. :S

And another instance:

Well I did try Piracetam with Lecithin. I took 800mg of Piracetam with 2 tablets of Lecithin (each tablet of Lecithin contains 1200mg of Lecithin and 172.5mg of Phosphatidyl Choline) and I did not feel angry or headaches anymore.. I felt just fine, but I gotta say I did not feel any worse or noticed any improvement.. felt just normal.. but then again.. i haven't been taking it daily..

So yes, I didn't take it daily. But what do you suggest? What kind of Racetam should I take? Can I buy it in the US? Or is there something else that might be be potentially better for my condition? I hear about Lion's Mane a lot around here.

Edited by Templanoid, 27 September 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#8 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Here are some of my suggestions:

1. Try Pramiracetam and/or Piracetam. Take the Choline four or five hours before your first Racetam dosage as co-administration seems to cause negative issues.

2. You should look into Deprenyl. It is a selective MAOB inhibitor, with a MOA somewhat comparable to that of Methylphenidate without most of the negative side-effects involved.

3. Modafinil? Look into sourcing. There are many, many threads on this very topic.

#9 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

1. Try Pramiracetam and/or Piracetam. Take the Choline four or five hours before your first Racetam dosage as co-administration seems to cause negative issues.

2. You should look into Deprenyl. It is a selective MAOB inhibitor, with a MOA somewhat comparable to that of Methylphenidate without most of the negative side-effects involved.

3. Modafinil? Look into sourcing. There are many, many threads on this very topic.

Thanks for the information. Sorry, I just edited my post above you.

By any chance do you know about the availability of those items in the US? Or could you point me to a certain thread here? Getting prescription for me would be hard so I'll have to try and stay with things I can easily get my hands on.

#10 DaneV

• 98 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

For modafinil, the following site provides some useful information including sources.
http://www.gwern.net/Modafinil

#11 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

By any chance do you know about the availability of those items in the US? Or could you point me to a certain thread here? Getting prescription for me would be hard so I'll have to try and stay with things I can easily get my hands on.

Modafinil isn't as tightly guarded as Ritalin and/or Adderall, primarily because the abuse potential of the substance is close to zero. There is very little chance for addiction. Hence one of the reasons why people are still able to purchase and order it online.

Although its cousin, Adrafinil, is not controlled in any way. You might want to look into that as well.

Thank you DaneV for the post. Will look into that as well. I suggest you do the same Templanoid.

#12 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Modafinil isn't as tightly guarded as Ritalin and/or Adderall, primarily because the abuse potential of the substance is close to zero. There is very little chance for addiction. Hence one of the reasons why people are still able to purchase and order it online.

Although its cousin, Adrafinil, is not controlled in any way. You might want to look into that as well.

Thank you DaneV for the post. Will look into that as well. I suggest you do the same Templanoid.

For modafinil, the following site provides some useful information including sources.
http://www.gwern.net/Modafinil

So it won't cause me any trouble if it's caught?? I am just a student here and don't want to get in trouble with the law :/

#13 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

-_-

Modafinil is a controlled substance, albeit not to the extent that Ritalin and Adderall are. And even then, amphetamine trading and selling in college is rampant and still is.

Templanoid, if you keep it to yourself and stay inconspicuous, then you are bound to stay safe and away from the clutches of the law. lol.

#14 DaneV

• 98 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

I think nubrain ships from the US which would mean the package will not even go trough customs, they are more expensive then some other sources though.

#15 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Almost half of the people on this forum have broken prescription/FDA laws at one point in their lives as well, and some probably depend on such loopholes in order to maintain their performances via the consumption of chemical enhancers, be it in school or at work.
  • dislike x 1

#16 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hehe ok I get you. I'll look into that.

Now how about Piracetam? For how long or how much is the general start dosage to take?

And, what's the best place to get Piracetam in pill form from? I just want to try for a couple of weeks to see first how it works before I get into ordering the bulk powder form.

Thanks. Sorry for asking redundant questions, but I'm really not up to date with any of this. Thanks for your help.

#17 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Aren't a lot of places to buy Piracetam in pill form to be honest. Most pill form variants are pharmaceutical drugs. Best to order a small sample.

Or you could go with Aniracetam, Pramiracetam or Oxiracetam. All can be found on SmartPowders.com

The general dosage for Piracetam is around 1,600 - 2,400 mg twice a day.

#18 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Aren't a lot of places to buy Piracetam in pill form to be honest. Most pill form variants are pharmaceutical drugs. Best to order a small sample.

Or you could go with Aniracetam, Pramiracetam or Oxiracetam. All can be found on SmartPowders.com

The general dosage for Piracetam is around 1,600 - 2,400 mg twice a day.

What do you think about this on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=230857229842 Would it be legit?

Ok, and for how long should I keep taking to see the effects? One week? two weeks? or more? Also, can I take it after taking a pill of Lecithin? I have 1200mg Lecithin pills.. wondering if that was ok.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Templanoid, 27 September 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#19 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

It is. Seems to be a russian generic. Might explain its price.

Depends. Most people usually see effects after two weeks of continuous use.

Take the Lecithin four or five hours before taking the Piracetam. Should do.

#20 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Ok thanks, I just bought 3 boxes of that generic from that ebay seller... hopefully it works out. Lets see what else I might be missing here..

#21 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

And how much of Lecithin should I take?

#22 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Start with 1,200 mg.

#23 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks, Tubemode.. so 1200mg of Lecithin 4 hours prior to taking 1600mg of Piracetam to start off with?

Does anyone else have any suggestions for my condition described in the post? I want to be stimulated and active and energetic like a lot of the people I see. :(

#24 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

I had some sorta similar problems.

I woud say to start by playing around with the core racetams, pi, oxi, and ani, and to also be SURE you are getting enough nutrients (probably take a multivitamin).

I would go with cerebralhealth for buying the racetams.

I take 1.5g pi, and about 750 each of the other two

#25 RS3RS

• 88 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

First off, I don't mean to sound discouraging... But I just want to warn you that chasing similar effects to Ritalin with supplements / easily obtainable substances is an uphill battle. I've spent the past year, and a lot of money, trying to do so. Deprenyl / Selegiline helped slightly, but it wasn't even close even combined with Phenylalanine / PEA. If Ritalin worked for you, you're close. I'd suggest trying to get a prescription for Dexedrine based on your side effects. It's much less peripherally stimulating. Another option would be to once again obtain a prescription for methylphenidate and take an extremely small dose along side Selegiline (research this heavily before proceeding, it has been discussed in great detail on this forum and others).

#26 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

I agree with everything you posted save for the Ritalin/Deprenyl combo. Do you mind editing that out?

Both pills are extremely minute in size. It would be extremely easy to take the wrong dosage. In addition, I doubt the OP has the equipment or the expertise in order to pull that off safely.

He would also need beta blockers on hand just in case something goes wrong.

Edited by Tubemode, 28 September 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#27 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I already have some Piracetam and some Bacopa on the way.

I have to say, Ritalin did *not* always work for me. When it worked, it felt nice and elated, but looking back I am not entirely sure if it was a good feeling of elation or a senseless one, that is, it made me overly happy at times, but it did not necessarily improve my cognitive function as I would like it to. So Ritalin is definitely not the end all be all of my problems.

What I'm really looking for is for clearer thoughts, fluidity in expressing what's in in my head, getting rid of brain fog, and at the same time giving me the energy to do so. Also, I've been thinking for the last couple of days since I started this topic, that I might have small anxiety issues that are actually playing a big role in my problems and might be the cause of depression. The lack of cognitive performance, the brain fog, the lack of clarity of thought/expression and the lack of energy might all be related to anxiety.

See, I am not a stimulated person at all.. I'm often overridden in a conversation or a discussion, because I'm not sure what I'm thinking and I'm generally slow and un-stimulated.

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Templanoid, 28 September 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#28 Tubemode

• 73 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Seems like Piracetam is more up your alley. Verbal fluidity you say? That is one of the most common benefits that most racetam users report.

I take the occasional dosage prior to a presentation. Also used it to learn Spanish a while back. Nothing works better when writing a paper.

Edited by Tubemode, 28 September 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#29 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

I've visited a psychiatrist in the past, and he simply gave me some Ritalin. When it does work, it works well, I feel extremely good and productive. I can study well and actually seem to learn something, and also able to effectively engage in discussions and debates with certain clarity. My mood gets really positive, I care more than usual about the welfare of people, and I can get work done. However, it is like Russian roulette sometimes.. it can make me feel weirdly tired, or slightly tight around the chest sometimes, and very dry.. as if I'm constantly thirsty. But a lot of the times it has also given me negative effects, and I get extremely anxious, makes me pretty worried and restless in general - it can be a pretty terrible feeling.. so I've decided to stop Ritalin and look to alternatives which give e batter overall effect, especially cognitively.

I wonder if the difference is due to the amount of carbs eaten recently when you take the ritalin. If you do choose to try ritalin again, I suggest you keep track of the food you eat for the couple of meals before you take it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Templanoid

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

I wonder if the difference is due to the amount of carbs eaten recently when you take the ritalin. If you do choose to try ritalin again, I suggest you keep track of the food you eat for the couple of meals before you take it.

Hi RWAC, actually, I decided to take 10mg of Ritalin from an old stash that I had last night... just to see what might happen. I took it after about an hour of eating a sandwich - which had bread, pork and veggies, so I guess a bit of all, and it felt a little tight around the chest (not in a suffocating way, but in a sublt weird way), and also made me feel dry... kind of similar to the explanation in my post that you quoted... IT did stimulate me a little in the beginning 45 minutes or so and got me to write a lot.. but for the last 2-3 hours it was not as nice. What do you reckon?

Edited by Templanoid, 28 September 2012 - 08:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users